PDA

View Full Version : Online Storage service

Willy
October 21st, 2009, 12:27
Mrs Willy is looking at one of those online data storage services. Anyone have any experience with those things?

Quixoticish
October 21st, 2009, 12:29
By online data storage do you mean a backup solution or a basic file storage solution?

Henry
October 21st, 2009, 12:31
Mrs Willy is looking at one of those online data storage services. Anyone have any experience with those things?back up or storage?
i used to store my pics on line
not photobucket but another
was always secure
now backup may be different
H

Willy
October 21st, 2009, 12:44
Storage. She's got a ton of pics that she's worried about losing. Personally, I think an external HD would be the way to go.

Henry
October 21st, 2009, 12:58
i would use an external hd
i used to be a member of lifepics
you can upload and share but no downloads
i have a 80 gig pasport hd its portable
works fine for storage
and cheap
H

cheezyflier
October 21st, 2009, 13:04
put em on dvd's. that's what i do.

that's especially good because if you organize as you go, you'll end up deciding not to keep ones that are negligible.

Lionheart
October 21st, 2009, 13:42
Eeeeks! You wind up with tons of CD stacks everywhere.. (like me).

I learned its cheaper and faster to purchase a couple of internal HD's on sale, get a cheap link that plugs into your computer, and has a link that you hook up your internal drive with, and Voila, drag and drop gigs of data/folders/games/etc, into the drive and then disconnect when done and put it in your drawer or on the shelf.

There are some nice external units out now, but they are usually expensive. Internals are really inexpensive when you shop around for nice ones on sale, and they fit anywhere..

Apple has a online storage system. Its called MobileMe, and they have a 60 day free trial. You could experiment with it and see what you think.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/

Bill

Chacha
October 21st, 2009, 16:24
I use these:

Mobile me (online storage... with a fee)
----or----
Time Capsule (is wireless) ---- $299.00 for 1TB (external)
... on my iMac

and

Iomega on my Dell (2nd picture) (external) ...$125.99 (i think)

cheezyflier
October 21st, 2009, 18:49
you can put a gazillion jpegs on a dvd.
my wife takes pics of alot of her arrangements for reference. we have more pics of floral designs that you could possibly imagine even exist. the stack of dvd, which also include all of our family photos, a ton of computer stuff and some payware planes for emergency back up, isn't nearly as big as you might think. the really big pile is my divx movies.

mike_cyul
October 21st, 2009, 20:50
I use Carbonite - works well, not expensive, well encrypted.

Mike

Snuffy
October 22nd, 2009, 04:14
I'm naturally pesimistic about this online storage stuff. I mean despite whatever agreements you get from these people there is nothing saying anything you store there isn't suspect to being compromised.

Harddrives and other media to store your stuff on isn't all that expensive, buy larger storage options. DVD is a great option, and they don't really take up all that much space. Not compaired to the ten 24 x 24 boxes of 5 1/4" floppies I still have. (Chances are 2 or 3 DVDs will allieviate those boxes.)

I'd think twice Willy, and I'd be serious trying to talk Mrs Willy out of the idea. Buy yer a new external for no special occasion ... other than to keep your precious private stuff private.

Just my $0.02.

Quixoticish
October 22nd, 2009, 04:29
If you want storage that other people can access then just buy yourself a decent package from godaddy.com and you're sorted.

If you want something more backup oriented or more organised so that only you can access it then I recommend Mozy (<cite>www.Mozy.com</cite>), it really is fantastic having a genuine off site backup solution that doesn't cost a small fortune.

cheezyflier
October 22nd, 2009, 06:39
I use Carbonite - works well, not expensive, well encrypted.

Mike

worked well for han solo :icon_lol:

kilo delta
October 22nd, 2009, 07:12
I use a 1TB external HDD for my pics.....with another 1TB external drive as backup to the backup!!! (I save the RAW files as I may want to edit the images differently and jpeg files are a lossy format)