PDA

View Full Version : Cfs2 in windows 7?

Maxstuka
October 21st, 2009, 11:46
any have windows 7?, is posible run cfs2 in win7?

wolfi
October 21st, 2009, 12:34
any have windows 7?, is posible run cfs2 in win7?

I set up my windows 7 system yesterday, I never ever had such a fast engine and yes CFS2 runs well at the 64bit "win 7" system.

I made a dual boot system with windows XP and Windows 7 because FSDS2, my favourite design program didn’t work with a 64bit system.
But the game itself runs wonderful, pending on the system; I have all settings to the max.
I use a quad core "Intel core i7 3.06 GHz" processor with 12GB ram and a geforce 275 graphics card with 1000MB memory.
Just a short notice, if you use a 32bit operating system you can only use around 3.6GB ram
By the way with this system FSx runs for the first time well also.

wolfi

Devildog73
October 21st, 2009, 13:09
Just ordered a laptop with Windows 7X64 on it. Should be here around end of week.
I will let you know how it works.

Shadow Wolf 07
October 21st, 2009, 13:24
I'm planning on upgrading my laptop from Vista 64 Ultimate to Win 7 and will be watching this thread with great interest. Keep that feedback flowing folks :applause: :icon29:

Maxstuka
October 21st, 2009, 15:59
I buy a Phenom 945 3000mhz, the ECS A790 black series, but I have problems with a generic ddr3 memory, I can run for this time the CPU, I will change the memory.
The windows 7 is cool, but I am going to charge xp for more time

thicko
October 21st, 2009, 16:22
I also ordered a laptop with Windows 7, as my old XP box is having processor problems. As wolfi, a dual boot to run some of the necessary older progs, for CFS2 design. We shall see what happens when it arrives. This on screen keyboard is not the fastest to work.
Cheers Thicko

Devildog73
October 21st, 2009, 16:31
Yeah, I am staying with a multi boot system my own self. Not that I do not trust M$ or anything. I just think that prudence is the better part of valor, especially when it comes to operating computers and operating systems.

As with WIN 98SE, I expect M$ to stop supporting XP and the last update will have malicious code that causes it to crash.

safn1949
October 21st, 2009, 17:29
I have a friend in Denmark who is an IT guy,he is running Windows 7 on an old laptop that would never run Vista.Says it runs like a champ.:USA-flag:

Morton
October 23rd, 2009, 14:40
I set up my windows 7 system yesterday, I never ever had such a fast engine and yes CFS2 runs well at the 64bit "win 7" system.

I've been waiting for this one. Released right now in Norway. All reports says Window 7 is everything Vista should have been. Allthough i expected it, it's good to hear CFS2 will live on.

Mort:icon29:

Wulf190
October 23rd, 2009, 22:11
Why won't FSDS2 run on W7?

I made a dual boot system with windows XP and Windows 7 because FSDS2, my favourite design program didn’t work with a 64bit system.
But the game itself runs wonderful, pending on the system; I have all settings to the max.
I use a quad core "Intel core i7 3.06 GHz" processor with 12GB ram and a geforce 275 graphics card with 1000MB memory.
Just a short notice, if you use a 32bit operating system you can only use around 3.6GB ram

wolfi

wolfi
October 23rd, 2009, 22:34
Why won't FSDS2 run on W7?

Because I use a 64bit operating system since I changed to Vista two years ago, -it doesn’t work at 64bit operating systems! it works fine with vista32 at my laptop but doesn’t work with vista64 at my main PC. Anyway,I will try to install fsds2 at my new Win7 (64bit) system. I will give you a report today.

wolfi

erufle
October 24th, 2009, 02:21

wolfi

This is good news! I do not plan on buying a new computer in the near future but it is nice to know I won't have problems when I do. I am afraid that once a system comes out that will not run CFS2 its popularity will finally start to fade.

Devildog73
October 24th, 2009, 02:59
I am afraid that once a system comes out that will not run CFS2 its popularity will finally start to fade.

Naw, I am a hard core old-timer! I will hang onto CFS2 until M$ brings it back in a CFS4 version for Win 7(8-9-10) that is actually better than CFS2. If that means hanging onto one of my current systems, so be it.

My current PC: Dell XPS410 (home modified), Intel 2.4Gig duo core X64 processor, 4Gigs RAM, Diamond Xtreme audio 7.1, nVidia Gforce 9800GT with 1Gig Vid RAM, two separate physical HDs, (1-7200RPM X 500 Gig; 2-5400RPM X 250Gig), external Seagate 500 Gig HD, two extra PCI cooling fans.
This puppy should last at least another 3 months before it is obsolete.:bump:

wolfi
October 24th, 2009, 07:27
I tried to instal FSDS2 at win7, I've got the message FSDS2 isn't compatible with a 64bit operating system.

wolfi

Wulf190
October 24th, 2009, 08:41
I tried to instal FSDS2 at win7, I've got the message FSDS2 isn't compatible with a 64bit operating system.

wolfi

Well shoot, but I wonder. The retail version of W7 has both the 32bit and 64bit OS. I wonder if you could dual boot a copy of each. XP is a fine 32bit OS, but M$ won't be supporting it for too much longer, not to mension when newer hardware and software comes out, so I'd like to have an option when XP fades.

wolfi
October 24th, 2009, 09:56
Well shoot, but I wonder. The retail version of W7 has both the 32bit and 64bit OS. I wonder if you could dual boot a copy of each. XP is a fine 32bit OS, but M$ won't be supporting it for too much longer, not to mension when newer hardware and software comes out, so I'd like to have an option when XP fades.

I have only a OEM version, that's cheaper put you have only one choice 32bit and 64bit, I buy the 64bit version because I need a really lot of Ram with a Render program (Poser), I actual have 12 GB Ram at my new PC that works only with a 64bit operating system. But if I want to work with FSDS2 I can just reboot and start WinXP, I have all programs running at XP also. I'm sure FSDS2 runs with Win7 (32bit) also. but I really suggest if you buy Win7 buy the 64 bit version and make a dual boot System.

how to make a dual boot? if you have a new hard disk make 2 or more partitions, than install XP first, install XP at drive "D", if XP is installed , install Win7 it will normally install automatically at drive "C". you have the choice of both operating systems during the boot process.

wolfi

dsawan
October 25th, 2009, 10:18
what if you use an existing hard disk which is c drive, how would you keep both? thx.

bearcat241
October 25th, 2009, 11:04
Doug, read carefully the last part of Wolfi's post:

......make a dual boot System.

how to make a dual boot? if you have a new hard disk make 2 or more partitions, than install XP first, install XP at drive "D", if XP is installed , install Win7 it will normally install automatically at drive "C". you have the choice of both operating systems during the boot process.

Since you already have a C drive, you create a new partition within it (or have someone do it for you). Format it as an "NTFS" drive, not FAT32. This format is best for XP and above. This new partition will be named "D" by the system default. This is where you'll elect to have the new OS installed when you pop the install CD and run it. The best software utilities for making new partitions is Acronis Disk Director and Partition Magic. They both are fairly easy to use, just take your time and walk easy through it. Before you start, read up on "dual booting" and get the 411.

wolfi
October 25th, 2009, 11:28
And very, very important; make a backup of all your important files before you start to create a new partition.
I personal prefer a new setup because it’s clean and save. I have an external hard drive as backup. I save all important files there, format the whole old hard drive create the new partitions, and set up the operating systems. I suggest for Win7 50GB for XP 20 and for Vista 50 also.
Again if you want to use XP and Win7 you must setup the oldest operating system (XP) first than Vista or Win7.
If your hard drive is old, I will also suggest buying a new one, I lost two years ago a lot of data twice during defect hard drives.

wolfi

Shadow Wolf 07
October 25th, 2009, 14:17
I just installed Win 7, replacing Vista. and am happy to report that all programs seem operational and stable. CFS2 runs great and most important of all, Mission Builder seems to work seamlessly. Even my joystick works fine... cfs2 remembered the controller settings and sensitivities. :applause: The only thing I had to do was log back in to this site.

whitehawk_2009
October 25th, 2009, 14:46
Thanks, Shadow! I'm looking at a new system myself and was a little worried about Win7 compatibility.

WH

12oclockhigh
October 25th, 2009, 14:49
I've just installed Win7 on a 64 bit system. CFS2 worked for a bit. No opening movie or spash screen but I was able to get into the 'fly now' screen somehow and the game ran fine. Since then I've had no luck at all. Can someone help with settings etc.?

12oclockhigh
October 26th, 2009, 19:37
I've just installed Win7 on a 64 bit system. CFS2 worked for a bit. No opening movie or spash screen but I was able to get into the 'fly now' screen somehow and the game ran fine. Since then I've had no luck at all. Can someone help with settings etc.?

After much trial and error I found that pressing F11 brings the game screen up...everything runs fine from that point.

Shadow Wolf 07
October 27th, 2009, 06:59
My previous message was in referrence to an upgrade from Vista to Win 7. Today I installed CFS2 and MB on a NEW Win 7 machine and they went in fine. :ernae:

Devildog73
October 29th, 2009, 16:50
So far, I am not seeing a great deal of difference between Vista and Windows 7. My Vista is 32bit, Windows 7 is 64bit. But they look and function pretty much the same as far as I can tell after 2 days of using 7.

I am not seeing all of the "less, cleaner, quicker, etc." from the commercials on TV. I just finished a Vista class at work. All of the same functions of Vista in Win7 as far as I can see.