PDA

View Full Version : Race Summary

epwatson
October 21st, 2009, 06:13
Hey Guys,

I have put together a summary for everyone to view. This shows how many legs completed, flight times, distance, average speed.

This is "NOT OFFICIAL" so please don't treat it as such. I had a few minutes so threw something together.

You can find it at the link below.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AuNm8vE8vo4NdG5tM1BMeDdTZFdRbWdoNnNoendtZ 0E&hl=en

Lemme know what you think. I have another spreadsheet i am keeping track of the race with that generates this summary.

Thanks,

salt_air
October 21st, 2009, 06:20
Eamonn,

This is fabulous. :applause:

Really generous of you to put the time and effort into it for us.

Thanks!

Moses03
October 21st, 2009, 08:15
Thanks Eamonn. Making this one a sticky.

Moses

Spookster67
October 21st, 2009, 10:06
Coincidentally, I was also thinking this morning that we needed a Google spreadsheet to keep the records - nice work Eamonn! :applause:

I thought about comparing the times people were taking to get to the compulsory airports (since those are the only common points on everyones' routes, in theory). Then at each compulsory airport, compare their time against an approximate "handicap time" to that point, based on their handicap speed and the distance to the airport.

Here's my spreadsheet:

LM2009 Progress Record (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApePls_UOy_xdG9mRG9HN193Y0xMNmU0RWltUEQtU 0E&hl=en_GB)

I had put in a couple of example pilots to check it was working, but now I see that Rob O has already got to Baghdad :icon_eek:, so I've put his real numbers in too.

See what you think....

MM
October 21st, 2009, 10:23
Martin and Eamonn,

This is all terrific. Martin's additional idea of putting each pilot in the context of the expected "handicap time" is really attractive as well.

Can we put these two together?

In addition, might it be possible to figure out a way to make this information easily accessible to those who don't "Google"? (Perhaps occasional updates posted in text format or in an attached zipped spreadsheet?)

Mike

epwatson
October 21st, 2009, 10:45
Absolutely.. I am going to tweak mine tonight and repost it. But yeah, we can absolutely make it visible to people who do not "google".. I have it set for "People can view this item without signing in" but i guess that is not working out too good. :(

I'll work on it tonight and you can all let me know what you think. I was already in the process of adapting the same idea as Martin had.

Thanks,

srgalahad
October 21st, 2009, 10:59
Absolutely.. I am going to tweak mine tonight and repost it. But yeah, we can absolutely make it visible to people who do not "google".. I have it set for "People can view this item without signing in" but i guess that is not working out too good. :(

Thanks,

You should have my email back Eamonn, and it looks like the fix has worked. G no longer wants a log-in (for now).
I'll try to send to a copy of an earlier excel sheet we used for your reference

Rob

Dangerousdave26
October 21st, 2009, 11:08
Looks good to me.

I did not log in and got to the page just fine.

epwatson
October 21st, 2009, 17:19
Okay, I have updated the spreadsheet.. Go check it out.. unfortunately the time to compulsory stops is not working as google docs doesn't recognize the function SUMIFS

Thanks,

Vicious
October 21st, 2009, 17:28
Hi Eamonn,

I noticed that the sheet shows I've completed 2 legs and over 2000 miles, but I'm flying the second leg now. Perhaps someone else's flight is in there for mine?

epwatson
October 21st, 2009, 17:48
Hi Eamonn,

I noticed that the sheet shows I've completed 2 legs and over 2000 miles, but I'm flying the second leg now. Perhaps someone else's flight is in there for mine?

Nice catch.. I went over all the posts twice and accidentally entered yours twice.. Prolly cause i'm tired..

Thanks

srgalahad
October 21st, 2009, 18:40
Eamonn, I've passed it on to the committee, but it looks good at my end.
Didn't expect to be working, huh? :icon_lol:

Spookster67
October 22nd, 2009, 07:25
I've also updated my spreadsheet as of this morning, at which stage there were three pilots through Baghdad. I'm using Duenna Baton Time rather than Flight Time, but the differences is only a handful of seconds.

LM2009 Progress Record (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApePls_UOy_xdG9mRG9HN193Y0xMNmU0RWltUEQtU 0E&hl=en_GB)

In comparison to approximate handicap time to Baghdad:

Vicious, GeeBee R6 QED, -0:21:17 (21 mins ahead of handicap time)
Rob O, de Havilland DH.88 Comet, 00:46:55
Reggiefields, Savoia Marchetti SM.79, 01:36:30

Others that have reached Baghdad in the last 8 hours will be updated later today. :ernae:

Now, perhaps I should focus on getting the panel finished in my P6 Mew Gull, so that I too can start....

epwatson
October 22nd, 2009, 09:20
Martin,

How are you calculating the handicap?

I am calculating an ongoing handicap based on how many miles they have already flown based on the following formula.

Distance Flown / Handicap speed = Handicap time over current distance

Thanks.

MaddogK
October 22nd, 2009, 09:24
I'm curious about the 1 hour penalty for Team melrose, I didn't see a crash in their Duenna logs, whats the penalty for ?

Spookster67
October 22nd, 2009, 10:25
Martin,

How are you calculating the handicap?

I am calculating an ongoing handicap based on how many miles they have already flown based on the following formula.

Distance Flown / Handicap speed = Handicap time over current distance

Thanks.

Hi Eamonn,

My method takes no account of how far a pilot has flown already, but instead just makes an assumption about how long it should take to get to each intermediate mandatory airport, if you went at exactly your handicap speed.

Here are the steps:

1. The total assumed distance is 10100nm (that's given in the Rules).
2. The distance to each mandatory intermediate airport, according to Great Circle Mapper, is shown here: Race Route (mandatory stops only) (http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=egun-orbi-vial-wssl-ypdn-ybcv-ymen&RANGE=&PATH-COLOR=&PATH-UNITS=nm&PATH-MINIMUM=&MARKER=1&SPEED-GROUND=&SPEED-UNITS=kts&RANGE-STYLE=best&RANGE-COLOR=&MAP-STYLE=)
3. Since the Great Circle total is 9832nm, not 10100nm, I then need to pro-rata adjust each intermediate airport hop distance accordingly. So for example I assume distance to Baghdad = 10100 x 2199 / 9832 = 2259nm.
4. Now, for each pilot, Handicap time to Baghdad = 2259 / Handicap speed.
5. As each pilot passes Baghdad, I then insert their actual time which is the cumulative Baton time for all their hops to that point (2 or more flights), plus any penalties.
6. The "Comparison to Handicap Time" is the net of their actual time and their handicap time, with negative numbers meaning the pilot is ahead of handicap. That's the same principal as will be used at the end of the race to determine handicap time and rankings, I think.

Hope that all makes sense... :icon_lol:

If you'd like to PM me your email address I'd be happy to add you as an editor, so that you could grab my spreadsheet and add it / link it to yours.

Regards,
Martin.

epwatson
October 22nd, 2009, 10:31
I'm curious about the 1 hour penalty for Team melrose, I didn't see a crash in their Duenna logs, whats the penalty for ?

According to what i have, Team Melrose last landed in LFMD which I don't believe is an approved airport for Golden Age. My spreadsheet autoflagged it, if they landed elsewhere but Duenna reported LFMD I can make the changes right away. :running:

Moses03
October 22nd, 2009, 10:35
We relaxed the rules a bit for Team Melrose.

• Pilots should limit their legs to manageable lengths. There is no need to restrict landings to the official "prepared airports" though those might serve as a good guideline. Short legs, no more than two or three hours, are better for everyone concerned.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showpost.php?p=273250&postcount=2

epwatson
October 22nd, 2009, 13:35
I manually removed the penalty for Team Melrose. :) Also, I have updated my spreadsheet to the latest flights as of right now that have landed..

PRB
October 22nd, 2009, 15:09
Good stuff, Eamonn. Thanks for taking the time to do this!
:ernae:

Spookster67
October 22nd, 2009, 21:50
Spectators at Baghdad report that a couple more aircraft came in yesterday, making 6 in total (as far as they can tell).:applause:

Unofficial estimation of progress against handicap times for the pilots through there is:

-0:21:23 Vicious Golden Age GeeBee R-6 QED
-0:07:21 Team Viagara GA Aerostar Super 700
00:17:51 BuzzBee Golden Age Spartan Executive
00:18:34 Willy GA Cessna 337H
00:46:48 Rob O Golden Age de Havilland DH.88 Comet
01:36:27 Rfields Golden Age Savoia Marchetti SM.79

SWSucceed
October 23rd, 2009, 14:02
We relaxed the rules a bit for Team Melrose.

• Pilots should limit their legs to manageable lengths. There is no need to restrict landings to the official "prepared airports" though those might serve as a good guideline. Short legs, no more than two or three hours, are better for everyone concerned.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showpost.php?p=273250&postcount=2
Curious over the relaxing of the rules having just picked up 1 hour penalty for unprepared landing due to false FSX information on the DC3 range leading into a glided land but a bounce up created a stall - I was doing rather well on that as it was also dark :applause:

So 2 hours in total penalties after only 2 and a bit hours in the air!

What of others landing at un-prepared airports or is there a specific criteria that has been adopted?

srgalahad
October 23rd, 2009, 15:12
The "relaxation" is only applied to Team Melrose which is essentially a 10,000 nm beta-test for the Puss Moth as prepped for mr. melrose in the original r/l race and so wonderfully crafted by Milton's team.
Dual purpose... to let as many people fly her without a lot of pressure ( and no prizes) and to bang it around as much as possible in the hands of a variety of volunteers.

For the rest of us daring aviators, all the listed penalties apply according to the class we're running in. The Golden Age group is the most onerous that way with limited airports, refuelling, etc.

Rob

epwatson
October 23rd, 2009, 18:26
File has been updated.. :)

Moses03
October 23rd, 2009, 19:11
Thanks Eamonn-

srgalahad
October 24th, 2009, 07:24
The Race Committee would like to thank Eamonn for his effort setting up the Race Summary (and without any of our usual twisting of arms or bribes in strange currencies).

The best we can do (times are tough and the budget is limited) is to acknowledge Eamonn Watson as "Official Bob Cratchet Recorder and Analyst for the 2009 MacRobertson Race". :icon29:

Now don't go aiming missiles his way if there are any inconsistencies - he's just putting quill to paper and handling the data:icon_lol:

Rob

srgalahad
October 24th, 2009, 18:11
OOPS???

Just looked and it seems the General Aviation stats are missing from the latest update.
May be me, or did I miss the memo where we were kicked out of the event?:icon_lol:

MaddogK
October 24th, 2009, 18:42
turn the page

EasyEd
October 25th, 2009, 21:38
Hey All,

I just wanted to add my Thanks to Martin and Eamonn for doing this scoring. :ernae: I like both calculation systems.

Now I'm not doing as well as I would like but it is due to headwinds and piloting not scoring! :icon_lol:

-Ed-

Spookster67
October 26th, 2009, 16:35
The spectators at Baghdad have sent a further report. They reckon they've seen 20 aircraft now, and if their (unofficial) calculations are right the handicap race situation is something like this:

Handicap (time ahead or behind handicap allowance time)
-0:21:23 Vicious Golden Age GeeBee R-6 QED
-0:07:21 Team Viagara GA Aerostar Super 700
-0:00:15 Salt Air Golden Age Lockheed Vega 5B
00:04:51 arvoo Golden Age Savoia Marchetti SM.79
00:11:48 MM Golden Age Percival E3H Mew Gull
00:17:34 Willy GA Cessna 337H
00:17:43 BuzzBee Golden Age Spartan Executive
00:22:08 Highmike GA Piper PA-31 Cheyenne I/IA
00:26:58 Bry Rosier Golden Age Savoia Marchetti SM.79
00:46:48 Rob O Golden Age de Havilland DH.88 Comet
00:53:55 Moses03 Golden Age Lockheed Twin Model 14
01:05:52 EdGeneer Golden Age DC3 (FS2004 default)
01:33:43 EasyEd Golden Age Messerschmitt Bf 108
01:36:27 Rfields Golden Age Savoia Marchetti SM.79
03:49:14 DangerousDave26 Golden Age de Havilland DH.80A Puss Moth
04:26:05 MaddogK Golden Age Fairey Fox
04:30:37 PRB Golden Age Lockheed Orion 9D
04:32:41 Team Melrose Golden Age Puss Moth
06:29:07 Simondix Golden Age MAAM DC3
11:39:50 Falcon 409 GA Piper Twin Comanche

Of course there are still a few more aircraft still on route to Baghdad, so further updates can be expected. Meanwhile, one of the spectators has grabbed a ride to Alahabad, and expects to start sending reports from there soon. :mixedsmi:

Well done everyone!! :icon29:

epwatson
October 27th, 2009, 09:18
I have added something similar to what Martin has to my spreadsheet on google. It will give you a leaderboard based on the most recent checkpoint people have reached. For example, Rob O has made it to YPDN so his handicap time will reflect the handicap to YPDN whereas PRB who has made it only to ORBS will reflect the handicap time to ORBS.

Any questions, let me know.

Dangerousdave26
October 27th, 2009, 13:52
Any questions, let me know.

Why Yes I do...

Whats a Henway?

srgalahad
October 27th, 2009, 13:55
Depending on additives and steroids, about 4 pounds.

Spookster67
October 29th, 2009, 11:24
To celebrate Rob's arrival into Melbourne, I bring you......

..... the "Progressograph". Unofficial of course, but it kind of shows you the progress of pilots at each of the mandatory checkpoints.

I reckon that Rob arrived about 3 mins behind his handicap time, after over 50 hours of flying.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/oimg?key=0ApePls_UOy_xdG9mRG9HN193Y0xMNmU0RWltUEQt U0E&oid=5&v=1256844015375
http://spreadsheets.google.com/oimg?key=0ApePls_UOy_xdG9mRG9HN193Y0xMNmU0RWltUEQt U0E&oid=7&v=1256861045375

epwatson
October 30th, 2009, 07:47
Hey all,

I have updated the spreadsheet. Looks like Vicious is in the lead for handicap with Spookster67 close behind, however keep in mind both of them haven't made it to Melbourne yet.

Only 28 Pilots have made at the very least the 1st checkpoint, lets go people... :)

Even though srgalahad is doing the precision scores, my spreadsheet was already set to do it.. LOL, so it is available as well in my spreadsheet on Google.. Salt Air at 78 points and Great Ozzie at 124 points.. Wow..:applause:

Good Luck everyone.. :)

epwatson
November 1st, 2009, 17:55
Holy crap everyone, i take a day off updating the stats and you all go nuts.. Took me the last hour to put in all the flights but it is now up to date.

Also added Vicious Precision flight. Wow 29 seconds, not sure that will be beaten, but you never know.

EdGeneer
November 1st, 2009, 19:14
I thought it might be hard pressed for salt's score to be beaten, but wow... Vicious, nice job :)

epwatson
November 5th, 2009, 04:38
I've added a new feature to the race summary.

Now you can see where everyone is.. NOTE: It shows the last stop they made based on the data input into the spreadsheet and is NOT a live view.

Click the Locations Map tab of the spreadsheet and allow the google map to load. You can then click the various Red Dots to show you who that is.

Thanks.. :)

EdGeneer
November 5th, 2009, 10:18
Most Excellent Eamonn!!!!! Thanks for all your work :applause:

srgalahad
November 9th, 2009, 09:00
In the latest update to the Summary, under Precision Scores you will see that donlimpio's result has been flagged under "Valid Estimate". This is an automated alert in the spreadsheet.

From the Precision Flying Rules:
2.The estimate must be consistent with the pilot's cumulative Average Speed as shown on the Race Summary (within 5% in time).

ie 682.5/avg speed +/- 5% (eg. 682.5/200kts = 204 minutes (2hr 24min) +/- 10 minutes -- ETE must be between 2:14 and 2:34).
In this case Average = 186.2 kts - calculated as 3:17:50 (+/- 5%) for a range of 3:07:50 to 3:27:50 Pilot estimate was 3:35.

The Committee is reviewing the data.

Rob

donlimpio
November 9th, 2009, 10:27
ah, the wonder of statistics! And them mighty headwinds of Queensland, flew full throttle straight in. Or in other words couldn't have made it any faster.

donlimpio
November 9th, 2009, 10:29
oh, but one thing is for sure, this was still pure luck, no skill involved, in fact I thought I was early and was considering landing into the wind from the other side, guess my surprise when I stopped the Duenna!

Edit:

and just checked the average, for some reason with me 682.5/186.2 translates to roughly 220min, or 3:40h ?

Vicious
November 9th, 2009, 11:13
I think you're correct. It looks like the calculated time may be off for some reason. I'm sure the judges will get it sorted out.

epwatson
November 9th, 2009, 14:07
Hey all,

It was pointed out to me that the calculation has been slightly off. I have looked into it and i was using the handicap reference speed to calculate the time taken and not the average speed of the pilot.

I have fixed it and will be updating the google docs spreadsheet shortly.

Thank you all and good work donlimpio, 12 seconds will be hard to beat.. :)

srgalahad
November 9th, 2009, 14:27
oh, but one thing is for sure, this was still pure luck, no skill involved, in fact I thought I was early and was considering landing into the wind from the other side, guess my surprise when I stopped the Duenna!

Edit:

and just checked the average, for some reason with me 682.5/186.2 translates to roughly 220min, or 3:40h ?

Congrats, Olli.. you are fine (and have a beer on Eamonn's tab or mine since we let this sneak thru).

An excellent run and a fortuitous choice to do the straight-in approach. Of course we put it down to skill, putting out 110%, listening to the coach, off-season training and a great crew:applause:

Just so you all know we really Do care and look, here's the Google Earth plot of his last few minutes if you are curious :icon_lol:

Rob

donlimpio
November 9th, 2009, 15:26
Yay! Thanks Rob, ahh the bubbles are tasting even better now, there must have been another box here somewhere? Oh wait-I'll keep it for you guys tastes even better with the posse around.

And I have to thank you Eamonn, putting together this excellent spreadsheet and keeping it together all the time, great work and cheers to you!

And had a look at the flight track, nice to see the final touchdown in google. Thanks again to you Sir Rob Galahad, and of course to the whole team at SOH for hosting such an excellent race event.

Olli

epwatson
November 10th, 2009, 03:40
All,

U have updated the spreadsheet with the latest flights.. As for the precision scores, my apologies for fouling that up.

However it is all fixed now.. Now its time to see if we can get it under 12 seconds.. lol

:ernae:

Dangerousdave26
November 10th, 2009, 20:08
Eamonn

Seems your Google API is missing.

I was checking the map to see everyone's location and it is not there.

Thats a fine feature :applause:

MM
November 12th, 2009, 09:40
Hi all,

Just a reminder that we have, in essence, five contests. They are:

Golden Age Speed Race.
Golden Age Handicap Race.
Modern General Aviation Speed Race.
Modern General Aviation Handicap Race.
Precision Flying. (Both classes of aircraft qualify.)

Note that an entry may win either the Speed Race or the Handicap Race in any given class. This forced choice mimicks that of the 1934 MacRoberston--it nicely spreads the rewards. Pilots will make their choices shortly after the official end of the the competition.

The pilots choose the Speed or Handicap division in order of their finish in the Speed Race. For example, Tom (Vicious) seems about to win both the Speed and Handicap Races in the Golden Age class. He must choose which one he will win. That choice having been made, then the second finisher in the Speed Race (at the moment Bry) chooses Speed or Handicap. And so on within the Golden Age class.

The same sequence applies for the Modern General Aviation class as well.

The Race Committee will award 3 prizes in each contest: Gold, Silver and Bronze medals. Any entry is eligible for only one prize in each racing class. (Though note that a pilot may be on several entries.)

All pilots are also eligible for the Precision Flying prizes.

Some pilots may discover that they are competitive when they at first thought they were not. Some close scrutiny of the aircraft capabilities, actual performance, and the prizes available may prove interesting.

Mike (for the Committee)

epwatson
November 12th, 2009, 10:43
I have modified the Leaderboard to show the individual competitions. :)

srgalahad
November 15th, 2009, 08:54
Those of you who have been watching Eamonn's terrific effort at tracking all these wild and wooly race teams will notice that the Team Melrose Precision Event estimate was flagged as "FALSE".

We have some compassion.. these brave fliers are struggling against tremendous odds to even get through the air, and as a committee of many have made a valiant effort simply to arrive in Melbourne. As a result, the difficult project of collecting data, verifying speeds, estimating winds has resulted in a delightfully vague estimate befitting the nature of the team.

We commend them for even making a guess! To be 'outside' the past-predictive limit for estimates does not diminish their pilotage or maintenance skills along their way and we are quite willing to accept their variance. It should be pointed out that they achieved a "marvellous mean" by arriving almost perfectly halfway between the Calculated and Estimated times (and that 7:07:07 estimate was beautifully symmetrical!).

A Melbourne clockmaker has offered this to the Team to be installed in the Puss Moth for future events:

Congratulations to you all!:applause::applause::applause:

Rob

epwatson
November 17th, 2009, 04:35
Summary is updated.. We now have 12 pilots in Melbourne. :applause: 11 from Golden Age and Mike from the Modern Age. Precision scores are doing good with donlimpio still in the lead with 12 points..

We still have a few people who have not left EGUN yet.. With only 13 days left we are getting down to the wire.

Good luck everyone and see you all at the finish line.. I hope to have both my birds there by midnight the night of the 30th. :)

simondix
November 18th, 2009, 11:15
I entered for the wooden spoon!

Moses03
November 18th, 2009, 11:20
Thanks Eamonn. Hope to finish up in the next couple of days.

epwatson
November 30th, 2009, 10:24
Okay, I have posted the summary with data up to the end of the race at 1800z today, however I can add the rest of the legs that are being done at the race comittee's request. Please go over your times to ensure they are accurate as my spreadsheet is the "official" record.

Out of the 51 planes entered, 28 finished the race. Good showing.

That was some scoring though, I have notated 661 legs to compile this summary.

Thanks

MM
November 30th, 2009, 10:38
Three cheers for Eamonn!:jump::applause::jump:

Moses03
November 30th, 2009, 11:03
Thanks again Eamonn!

Vicious
November 30th, 2009, 11:21
Hail Eamonn for your great work! :applause:

mickj300
November 30th, 2009, 11:25
Excellent job Eammon! I got it wrong and thought the deadline for finishing was midnight UTC - just starting the final leg now. See y'all in the Windsor!

srgalahad
November 30th, 2009, 19:50
jsut because I'm basking in tropical warmth instead of frozen Canada, I'm still [eekin gin.. great job Eamonn... Glad we found you ( or you, us)

Rob:icon29:

epwatson
December 1st, 2009, 04:25
Hey no worries mate. I've been doing the RTW for a while now (4 - 5 years i think). Always looking for some way to contribute.

So Team AVSIM is the only plane anywhere near YMEN at the moment, so when will the official end be?

MM
December 1st, 2009, 06:11
Note that we are about to calculate the final standings, as soon as the Goose comes in.

Each entrant may be ranked in either the Speed Race or the Handicap Race. This feature copies the 1934 scoring system and permits a wider distribution of prizes. We shall award three prizes in each Race: Gold, Silver, and Bronze. There are two Classes and two Races in each Class: Golden Age Speed Race, Golden Age Handicap Race, Modern Age Speed Race, and Modern Age Handicap Race. This produces a total of twelve prizes.
At the end of the Race, pilots may choose to be ranked in either the Speed or Handicap portion of their Class. (Their choice is made in order of their Speed Race time.)
Thus, at the moment, the pilots choose their Race in this order:

Golden Age: Vicious, Bry Rosier, arvoo, BuzzBee, MM, Moses03, Spookster67, srgalahad, Great Ozzie, ... Team Melrose.
Modern Age: Great Ozzie, Team Viagara, jkcook28, Team Four, Highmike, MM, Bry Rosier, Willly.

Vicious
December 1st, 2009, 07:04
I'll select the Golden Age Speed Race. :jump:

epwatson
December 1st, 2009, 08:53
Race Summary has been updated, just waiting on the goose.

Bry Rosier
December 1st, 2009, 09:29
Just left Charleville:jump:

epwatson
December 1st, 2009, 18:10
Final Standing have been posted.. :)

Good Race Everyone... :)