PDA

View Full Version : Snatched from the brink of death

OBIO
October 20th, 2009, 19:01
Earlier today, I cleaned my office/sim room. Not that it needed it...2 inches of dust really isn't that bad :isadizzy:. Well, as part of my cleaning I cleaned my keyboard...which has been acting up. How did I clean it? I unplugged it, carried it into the bathroom, to the bath tub, turned the water on full blast and shoved by keyboard under that high pressure stream of water. It was amazing watching all the dust, potato chip and cookie crumbs, cigarette ashes and tobacco, refugees from the Mexican National Midget Circus and nose hairs come flying out from between the keys. I allowed the keyboard to drain and dry for several hours...and it's working like new again. No cutting out in the middle of a sentence, the keys are much easier to press, keystrokes no longer have the sound of a trash compactor. And the biggest surprise was finding out that my keyboard is actually black..not a mottled gray. Life is good again!

OBIO

Rami
October 20th, 2009, 20:04
Try having three cats. Cat hair gets into EVERYTHING.

OBIO
October 20th, 2009, 20:14
2 dogs, 1 cat (technically still at kitten at 4.5 months, but he is already taller than our 12 pound dog...going to be one huge cat), 2 ferrets, 1 bird. Also have 2 fish tanks, but the fish are kind enough to keep their mess inside their tanks. Pet hair is everywhere.

I was surprised that the inside of my computer was not a lot dirtier than it was. A while back I took the factory side panels off and replaced them with some home made plexiglass covers with nice ventilation ports and a couple extra 120mm cooling fans. The ferrets are constantly trying to get inside my computer when they are out of their cage and romping around the room. I guess the extra air flow has reduced the amount of hair and dust that gets trapped inside the case. My cooling fans were a bit dusty but other than that my PC was pretty clean inside.

Some on a while back did a post about their wife's cat peeing in her laptop. Now that is a mess I would hate to have to clean up.

OBIO

Piglet
October 20th, 2009, 20:46
Something like this.....

Allen
October 20th, 2009, 20:55
Something like this.....

Me haz enternet on thiz?

OBIO
October 20th, 2009, 21:40
You got it all wrong, boy! It's CPU, not CUP!

luckydog
October 20th, 2009, 22:00
So let me get this straight.............

all those keyboards that I've thrown away after spilling my beer on them
could've been rinsed off and dried ??!!?

Snuffy
October 21st, 2009, 03:06
So let me get this straight.............

all those keyboards that I've thrown away after spilling my beer on them
could've been rinsed off and dried ??!!?

pretty much ... yeah. lol.

I went even farther than you did Obio ... I disassembled my key board into its component parts and then threw them all in the kitchen sink and then reassembled the keyboard.

deKoven
October 21st, 2009, 03:25
Heh, I use an older M$oft Natural keyboard (can't type on a regular board anymore. Key spacing is all wrong.) I've disassembled it and washed it at least a dozen times; I'm one of those who eats at the keyboard. Not sure I'd get the circuit boards wet but all the rest is SO washable. And it works just like new (for a little while, at least.)

:icon29:

Cazzie
October 21st, 2009, 03:58
Been doing it for years, especially have to completely clean the youngest kid's keyboard every 4 to 6 months. Messy youngun'. Got only two cars now, had three until a year ago. Have two dogs, big dogs, have free access inside or outside, cats too. Have two Iguanas, they're the wife's, but I've come to like them too. Low upkeep, little to no noise. Cost me a rotator cuff surgery building their cages though!

:icon_lol: LD

Caz

safn1949
October 21st, 2009, 06:20
Try having three cats. Cat hair gets into EVERYTHING.

Try having 24 cats...yikes,I had to have filters on my desktop tower to keep the hair out.Had one pee in a 19" color TV many years ago.....didn't want to watch TV anyway.:d

Wing_Z
October 21st, 2009, 09:54
Obio...could you type us a message that says:
I ShOuLd NoT WaSh My KeYbOaRd In ThE BaTh :d

OBIO
October 21st, 2009, 11:08
Yesterday, after allowing the keyboard to dry out...it worked like a champ. This morning, the SHIFT keys wouldn't work. Not sure why they decided to stop working...but they did. Luckily, while out at the local thrift stores I found two keyboards. Using one now....It's a stock Gateway keyboard with all the bells and whistles...a bit dirty..but works great. 49 cents. Haven't checked the other one yet.

OBIO

Toastmaker
October 21st, 2009, 13:09
Yesterday, after allowing the keyboard to dry out...it worked like a champ. This morning, the SHIFT keys wouldn't work. Not sure why they decided to stop working...but they did. Luckily, while out at the local thrift stores I found two keyboards. Using one now....It's a stock Gateway keyboard with all the bells and whistles...a bit dirty..but works great. 49 cents. Haven't checked the other one yet.

OBIO

What technical genius originally suggested that it would be a good idea to waterboard your computer components ?

OBIO
October 21st, 2009, 14:13
While my system was formatting and XP reinstalling, I pulled the keyboard totally apart. Kind of neat seeing how the inside of a keyboard is made. The circuit board is actually three sheets of clear plastic. Two have circuits printed on them, probably thin aluminum. The middle sheet has holes in it. When a key is pressed, the key smooshes a soft silicone thingie...looks like a boobie that has grown concavely instead of convexly....in other words an inside out boobie...but with a nipplie thing in the middle. The nipplie thing presses on the top layer of circuit board and presses it down far enough to touch the bottom layer of circuit board through the hole in the middle sheet of plastic. The circuitry on the plastic runs to a small rigid circuit board that send the signals to the computer. Very simple design.

Turns out that there was a bit of condensation between the sheets of plastic circuit board...along with some soggy dirt. I used a little window cleaner and paper towels to thoroughly clean the plastic circuit boards. Put the whole shebang back together....and plugged it in to my wife's laptop for testing. I works...I am typing this post with the bath time keyboard.

OBIO

Toastmaker
October 21st, 2009, 14:32
While my system was formatting and XP reinstalling, I pulled the keyboard totally apart. Kind of neat seeing how the inside of a keyboard is made. The circuit board is actually three sheets of clear plastic. Two have circuits printed on them, probably thin aluminum. The middle sheet has holes in it. When a key is pressed, the key smooshes a soft silicone thingie...looks like a boobie that has grown concavely instead of convexly....in other words an inside out boobie...but with a nipplie thing in the middle. The nipplie thing presses on the top layer of circuit board and presses it down far enough to touch the bottom layer of circuit board through the hole in the middle sheet of plastic. The circuitry on the plastic runs to a small rigid circuit board that send the signals to the computer. Very simple design.

Turns out that there was a bit of condensation between the sheets of plastic circuit board...along with some soggy dirt. I used a little window cleaner and paper towels to thoroughly clean the plastic circuit boards. Put the whole shebang back together....and plugged it in to my wife's laptop for testing. I works...I am typing this post with the bath time keyboard.

OBIO

I just noticed what a nasty man you are. . . .

:applause:

OBIO
October 21st, 2009, 17:30
Toasty

I've been this nasty ever since I joined SOH...you must be slow on the up take.

OBIO