PDA

View Full Version : Falcon409_Piper Twin Comanche

falcon409
October 20th, 2009, 16:17
I have the baton. . .enroute to LFPB

bpfowler
October 20th, 2009, 16:19
good work falcon! way to get back in the air, dude.

Willy
October 20th, 2009, 16:31
Way to go Ed!

falcon409
October 20th, 2009, 16:42
Yep, like a little kid, can't stand the thought that I might miss out on something, lol.

I still don't have any idea why I can't post correctly on the stops, I'll have to post as I did the first stop with the Comet.

Over the coast of France:

falcon409
October 20th, 2009, 17:46
Down at LeBourget:

falcon409
October 20th, 2009, 17:47
Ok, pickin' it up and on to Lyon!

falcon409
October 20th, 2009, 19:13
100nm from Lyon I started having engine problems. Not sure what, possibly icing, although the weather didn't show signs that that would be a problem. All temps were within range, I still had enough fuel to make Lyon with a bit to spare, but I was losing altitude and power, but for what reason, I was never able to find out. I found a small airport not far from my position so I started my approach in winds that increased to around 45kts making the decent and turn difficult. less than a mile out I lowered the gears, but the wind and the drag from the gears bled off valuable altitude and airspeed. Had I waited until I was over the end of the rwy to lower the gears I probably would have gotten in ok, as it was I crashed about 100yds from the rwy.

I've had better days, lol. I think I'm done for tonight, lol.

falcon409
October 21st, 2009, 06:44
Departing Lyon for Marseille.

falcon409
October 21st, 2009, 06:48
Down at Marseille. Going to reinstall the Duenna and get the posting problems fixed before I take off again.

falcon409
October 21st, 2009, 07:54
Up and headed for Rome!!

falcon409
October 21st, 2009, 10:11
Down at Rome. . .no problems, lol. . .phew!!

falcon409
October 21st, 2009, 10:22
Off again. . .headed for Brindisi, Italy:

falcon409
October 21st, 2009, 11:39
Through it all, I keep smiling, lol

falcon409
October 21st, 2009, 11:40
Taking off from LIBD (closest to the crash site) to finish flight to Brindisi.

MM
October 21st, 2009, 12:28
Admirable determination to get through a rainy day!:medals:

falcon409
October 21st, 2009, 14:30
Admirable determination to get through a rainy day!:medals:
It has been that!

falcon409
October 21st, 2009, 14:32
Out of Italy and on my way to EDDP!

falcon409
October 21st, 2009, 18:50
Landed at EDDP, will pick back up tomorrow!

Willy
October 21st, 2009, 19:27
Ed, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you're heading the wrong way!

We gave extra airports for the Golden Age between London and Baghdad to allow two different routes. One southern and one eastern. You don't have to fly both. Also as you're flying Modern GA, any airport is open to you and you can make your own routing so long as you stop at the five compulsory checkpoints (Baghdad, Allahabad, Singapore, Darwin and Charleville).

Willy

srgalahad
October 21st, 2009, 20:16
He's probably following migratory birds.. which are also headed the wrong way... yeah, falcons do migrate:173go1:
(I warned you we pull legs and yank chains around here Ed :icon_lol: )

falcon409
October 22nd, 2009, 05:16
Ed, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you're heading the wrong way!
Willy
Yea, not surprising. In that case, I will simply backtrack to Brindisi and find a suitable route down through Greece, Turkey and into Iraq that way.

The good thing is that after the first days fiasco with the comet, I decided that being a competitive racer wasn't what I was going to accomplish, as I don't have the piloting expertise to go head to head with the pro's, but that I would simply fly the course (and I assumed I was) and get to Melbourne without losing too many aircraft (I've already crashed two).

Today is a new day. . .how much worse could it get? hmmmm, one can only wonder, lol.

epwatson
October 22nd, 2009, 05:35
Out of Italy and on my way to EDDP!

Hey, I just happened to notice you didn't post a duenna for the flight LIBD - LIBR.. Do you have it by chance?

MM
October 22nd, 2009, 06:55
Hi Ed,

Last night the Committee agreed to offer you an alternative to backtracking. You may "magically" jump back to Brindisi and take off from there. The penalty is either:

(1) A 30 minute penalty for "administrative costs", OR
(2) You buy the Committee a free round of virtual beers!

We suggest the second option. ;)

(Sorry, we were not able to get back to you last night as the forum was down.)

falcon409
October 22nd, 2009, 09:38
Hey, I just happened to notice you didn't post a duenna for the flight LIBD - LIBR.. Do you have it by chance?
Ah, and therein lies the rub. . . .I never flew a leg from LIBD to LIBR. I flew from LIRA to LIBR, ran out of fuel 40nm from LIBR and crashed (I posted a duenna for that part), then restarted at the closest airport to the crash site and continued on to LIBR (and posted a duenna for that part).

In one of the PDF files (don't have it open right now), under section 2: "The Route", there is a list of airports, which I wrongly assumed was the prescribed route for the race, since I could find no other list (except the 23 segment list that was posted and turned out to be one from last year). Anyway, LIBD is not on that list. . .so where did LIBD come in and was there ever an "official" list of the airports?

Now you see why I decided to simply fly my way to Melbourne outside of the competitive form of a race.

falcon409
October 22nd, 2009, 09:52
I just got my internet connection back, hence the "NO MAP" on the duenna.

Willy
Maddog, those stops only apply to the Golden Age. Modern GA can land at any airport.

Dangerousdave26
Ed

This thread has the official rules in it. See the zip file at the bottom.

When you drop into Team Speak again ask Rob (srgalahad), John, Austin or possibly any of the other guys for any insite.

Myself I will not be able to get on until real late tonight or tomorrow.

We will get you pointed in the right direction. :applause:

The rules are slightly different for the Golden Age class and the Modern Class.

MaddogK
October 22nd, 2009, 09:56
Ahh I forgot, the GA has no restrictions where you can refuel, but you MUST stop at the mandatory stops, with an intermediate stop at least 200 miles away from a checkpoint (IIRC).

<edit> I deleted the post with all the stops on it to avoid confusion. Just follow along with DD says, he's a 'better than average' planner, and knows whats he's talking about.

;)

falcon409
October 22nd, 2009, 09:58
I hope this helps: pulled from the rules document pages 4 and 5 in the race packet posted in the stickeys section
Ok, My apologies to Mr Watson. LIBD was the airport I picked up from and flew the last 45 or 50nm to LIBR after the crash. I should have that duenna and will post it directly.

My inability to get a handle on this has become very irritating.

I won't participate in anything like this again, unless I start months in advance reading every page of every document posted leading up to the event so that I'm sure I've seen and read everything related to the event no matter how insignificant I might think it is. . . .and then spend hours flying the aircraft of choice until I know every system, how it functions, what possible malfunctions could occur and how to correct them before they happen.

falcon409
October 22nd, 2009, 10:11
My apologies Watson.

epwatson
October 22nd, 2009, 10:29
Hey dude, don't appologize, we all make mistakes.. :)

Enjoy yourself.. :)

MaddogK
October 22nd, 2009, 10:40
heh, You should heard some of the 'dumb' things I said/questioned my first race. I learned quickly to **** first, then follow in silence till I got a handle on things.

Just remember: there are NO dumb questions, there's only dumb answers.

Dangerousdave26
October 22nd, 2009, 10:42
Ah there is the problem

Only the airports that marked with *** are compulsory stops (for both the Golden Age and Modern Age)

Those are the only ones you must stop at.

The others basically use as they fit in your plan (Golden Age only).

So your basic plan would be to set up a route from EGUN to Each Compulsory Stop then YMEN.

For both the Golden Age and the Modern Age you must stop at one other airport (Golden Age on the list) (Modern Age any airport) at least 200 nm from each compulsory Pair until Darwin.

So your route would be

EGUN - [ORBS] [ORBI-FSX]

[ORBS] [ORBI-FSX] - {additional stop 200nm from first and last} - [VIAL]

[VIAL] - {additional stop 200nm from first and last} - [WSSL]

[WSSL] - {additional stop 200nm from first and last} - [YPDN] Darwin

[YPDN] - [YBCV]

[YBCV] - [YMEN]

The only time you would stop between YPDN and YBCV is if your aircraft is range limited. In the Golden Age you would need to stop at a prepared fueling stop.

In the Modern Age you can stop anywhere and refuel.

Under either set of rules you will not use all the airports on the list.

Part of the race is to pick the plane you would use and plane the route around that plane.

In my own opinion the route planning needs to carry heavier weight in these events.

There is also a Navigation element

Golden Age is NDB and Dead Reconing with limited Auto Pilot use. Altitude hold and heading preferably.

Modern age is any form of navigation

srgalahad
October 22nd, 2009, 11:39
Ed,
Sweat not the small stuff ( and it's all small stuff). For the first-timers it's more about learning the ropes than beating every rule. Those of us who do this regularly often bring along a bank of lawyers, a couple of ballistic engineers, 3 or 4 tacticians and a bevy of cute assistants (you should see the budget!).

As you go along you'll find yourself sorting it out, and the rest will toss in the 2 cents worth to help. Goal #1 - Fly Safely. After that it's mostly learning the important rules first then asking for clarification. We may not give away secrets but we do coach (and know who NOT to tell).

Even though it's a race the MacR is NOT 'serious' for most of us. Now just wait until the RTWR.... :kilroy:

BTW, you're doing pretty darn good for a newbie and by Feb. we'll have you well-indoctrinated :icon_lol:

Carry on!

Rob

falcon409
October 22nd, 2009, 15:31
On my way to Adana:

falcon409
October 22nd, 2009, 17:34
Down at Adana:

falcon409
October 22nd, 2009, 18:01
Headed for Baghdad. One note for the judges. Despite what the Duenna says, I am, in fact, running real weather with all settings correct. On startup, I still get a yellow for the weather. I have checked and rechecked my settings, restarted the sim several times, but the duenna continues to say I am not running real world weather.

Just so ya know. . .it's lying!

EasyEd
October 22nd, 2009, 19:05
Hey All,

Can modern age aircraft land in Russia and Iran or not? I'm not sure this is clear.

-Ed-

MM
October 22nd, 2009, 20:33
Ed, you're fine.

The Duenna has trouble with FSX and real weather. (There are ways to get around this, but don't worry at all.) Note that you have a "yellow" caution rather than a "red" code.

No worries...

EasyEd
October 22nd, 2009, 20:59
Hey All,

Ed in addition to all that Dave listed as rules note the following quote from MM in the rules thread.

Modern Age pilots may not land in Russia (or in the former Soviet Republics)--nor may they land in Afghanistan. They may land at only two airports (Bushere and Jask) in Iran. Otherwise, a penalty.

Note that you may fly over Russian, Iranian, and Afghan airspace...but you may not land (with the noted exceptions).

So you can't land anywhere there are some restrictions.

-Ed- A card carrying member of Eds helping Eds

falcon409
October 22nd, 2009, 21:33
Landed safely in Baghdad. . .gonna stay with the plane overnight and pick up in the morning for India:

falcon409
October 23rd, 2009, 06:05
Off from Baghdad and enroute to Dubai:

falcon409
October 23rd, 2009, 09:31
Down at Dubai Int'l. Will be headed for Karachi next:

bpfowler
October 23rd, 2009, 12:43
great screenshots, Falcon! The Twin cockpit looks great. Glad to see youre still in racin' form.

thanks,
brady

falcon409
October 24th, 2009, 11:23
Departed Dubai about 10 minutes ago. Now enroute to Karachi (OPKC).:wavey:

falcon409
October 24th, 2009, 12:09
With about 2.5 hours remaining, I'm currently at 9000' over the Gulf of Oman skirting the west coast of Iran.:wavey:

falcon409
October 24th, 2009, 15:07
Ok, down in Karachi, through a sand storm, but made it safe and sound:

falcon409
October 25th, 2009, 08:44
Will be back in the fray later today. My granddaughter has been visiting this weekend, so my puter time has been greatly curtailed, lol.:kilroy:

falcon409
October 25th, 2009, 19:01
Departed Karachi enroute to Allahabad, but I have very nasty thunderstorms running through here from the Dallas area north to us on the Red River. Will be cutting this flight short to save what I have.

falcon409
October 25th, 2009, 19:19
Down and shut down for the night til these storms pass. Interesting screen shots after I landed and taxied off and ran replay, the aircraft was on fire, but the landing itself was without incident.

MM
October 26th, 2009, 04:38
Ed, that is one hot Piper.

In the old neighborhood, guys used to paint flames on their rides to give the impression that they were hot stuff. You've gone them one better! If they could only see ya now...

:icon_lol: