PDA

View Full Version : Flea market treasure

Jaxon
October 20th, 2009, 10:35
Two weeks ago, I was visting a flea market in Hamburg.
I was very bored and had other plans that day, but my girlfriend forced me to go.

Well, between all the junk there was one crate with old books somehow getting my attention. Old magazines roughly with engineering topics.

Not in very good condition, but I somehow looked deeper into it and found some little pictures featuring aircraft topics on them flying around between the books ..

I searched all other books then for more, but couldn`t find any. Best would have been the album, they belong to - but no luck.

The seller at this stand was no help either. He wasn`t interested in stuff like that and could only add, that he could maybe remember an album .. MAYBE!!

Jaxon
October 20th, 2009, 10:47
You guess it - why should I start a thread just for some loosely pics, even when they are nice.

I have seen the original picture of one or two in large already - probably the source.

But these recoloured pics were nice as well. Especially the ones, I haven`t seen before!

TARPSBird
October 20th, 2009, 10:51
Jaxon, those cards look to be in pretty good shape. The "without mouth piece" and "with gold mouth piece" on the reverse side of the card got me curious - maybe they were some type of tobacco promotion? :confused:

Jaxon
October 20th, 2009, 11:00
Well, and suddenly he found the album by accident, when trying to help another visitor of the market. the album was lying in a staple of books behind him - and he gave it to me: This is, what you are looking for??

Well - no? (I had expected somewhat aircraft/ Luftwaffe related, but not "normal" soldier stuff.
But it looked interesting: A 3D relief printed cover, with a shade of silver once you hold it against the light.

The picture captured the effect very well. And the inside: some color-printed pages, but the rest was just normal B&W
(If you can call it white - I guess it never was white)

And full of all the colourful piccies accurately glued into the frames. (Not one with an angle and not ONE missing !!!)

The piccies I first found, were the surplus pics of this album!!

Wonder 1: The collector managed to fill the whole album.
Wonder 2: The glue held them in place all the last 60+ years! And they are still fixed.

(I just remember my childhood days family albums, were some pics start to fall out...today )

Jaxon
October 20th, 2009, 11:02
Jaxon, those cards look to be in pretty good shape. The "without mouth piece" and "with gold mouth piece" on the reverse side of the card got me curious - maybe they were some type of tobacco promotion? :confused:

Nope, these are the different cigarette brands, the cards came with. One is standard, the other with mouth piece. Both were of course of the same company.
Eckstein still exists today.

But maybe, I got you wrong: The pics were probably addressed to kids, while they had to beg their fathers to smoke some more...

Jaxon
October 20th, 2009, 11:20
Unfortunately, the album is a bit larger then DIN A4, so it doesn`t fit on my scanner.
I decided to take some pictures instead.

Not all pages, but some - to give you an idea.

Heer /Infantry with Kavallerie first.

I have read somewhere, that the WW2 was the war of horses, some 1.000.000 were involved.
Even, when on many pics today, we see the then new tanks and trucks - but the backbone still were horses!!

I was impressed to see the soldier training his horse to lie in front of him as cover, while he was shooting!!

Interesting too - the carrier pidgeons.
Or see the motorcyclist, who is overrunning a barriage WITH his Krad!

I was a trainer for recrutes myself in the Bundeswehr.
But I haven`t seen stuff like that before! The professionality is amazing to me.

Jaxon
October 20th, 2009, 11:29
OK, the pics were a bit large.

Now come another two representing the naval chapter, to speed up the uploading.

Jaxon
October 20th, 2009, 11:34
And finally the Luftwaffe. That is what should be of most interest.

I loved to find many pics about naval aircraft, I haven`t seen before.

But I also like the crane on the ponton with red stripes and the little carriage with the radio equipment (Peilsender ~ homing device).

I think, we still need stuff like that in CFS2.

Jaxon
October 20th, 2009, 11:41
Uups. I forgot to take the pics of just these pages, I was refering to.

Here they are.

Jaxon
October 20th, 2009, 11:50
That is all.
I will maybe take me the time to scan them and put them online.
The pics you see here, were shrinked by the SOH again, after I sized them down as well.
So I lost some quality when trying to show them here.
I am sorry for that.
I hope you enjoyed it anyway.

What I paid?

20 Euro - I couldnīt resist.

I think, I will get at least the same on ebay.
I am just interested in the pics.
A scan will do it for me, so I really think about selling it again.

CrisGer
October 20th, 2009, 11:59
wow
those are wonderful to see. What memories are held in them.

PSULLYKEYS
October 20th, 2009, 13:03
Super find JAX!:kilroy:

The B24 Guy
October 20th, 2009, 16:51
Nice Jaxon,
So you did not want to go but.........
One of those little wonders of life.

Regards,
B24Guy

miamieagle
October 21st, 2009, 20:43
Very nice Jaxon. Take of care of it. It looks very interesting. Thank you for sharing it with us!:icon29: