October 20th, 2009, 08:51
N180GS is Departing EGUN - LOWW DC-3

Here we go!!! Good luck to all!!!

EdGeneer
October 20th, 2009, 12:25
Down and safe, LOWW DC3

EdGeneer
October 20th, 2009, 12:56
Dawn flight out of EGUN was clear skies, low wind, but alot of turbulence which made for a bumpy takeoff. Climbing out of lower england was clear until the coast, then visibility dropped considerably. coming in after the channel, the visibility cleared, and wind was string out of the south, then turned o the rear so the final ndb into LOWW was with a good 12 knot tailwind. Light clouds into Vienna with a little turbulence on landing, rolled out nicely

http://www.coxguitarrepair.com/rr/ss_01.jpg

http://www.coxguitarrepair.com/rr/ss_02.jpg

http://www.coxguitarrepair.com/rr/ss_03.jpg

http://www.coxguitarrepair.com/rr/ss_04.jpg

EdGeneer
October 20th, 2009, 14:02
Departing LOWW for LRBS DC3

Leg #2

EdGeneer
October 20th, 2009, 16:24
Down Safe LRBS

EdGeneer
October 22nd, 2009, 17:13
Departing LRBS for OSAP in the DC3

Leg #3

Long flight... :)

EdGeneer
October 22nd, 2009, 21:07
Down Safe, OSAP

simondix
October 23rd, 2009, 07:43
Whats the panel you are using and have you a link please?

EdGeneer
October 23rd, 2009, 17:24
Um, Its Trev Morsons panel with several modifications I have made to strip it of its modern avionics, and add a dual rmi, and e-6b, etc....

I can pack it up and upload it somewhere so you can use it in your planes if you like... It is set up for a 4 tank dc-3 using Mike Beaumont's aircraft dynamics. or any other 4tank dc3

let me know, I would be glad to share it... :)

EdGeneer
October 23rd, 2009, 17:25
OSAP - ORBS DC3

Leg#4

Off to Baghdad :)

Milton Shupe
October 23rd, 2009, 18:16
Good luck Ed.... love the panel work. :ernae:

EdGeneer
October 23rd, 2009, 19:40
Down Safe at ORBS

:)

EdGeneer
October 23rd, 2009, 20:43
Good luck Ed.... love the panel work.

Thanks Milton. :) most of it is Trev Morson, but I had to make a 1930s panel for the race :)

Whats the panel you are using and have you a link please?

Here Simon. This link is good for a week only. I would suggest pairing this panel with Mark Beaumont's plane mods.(Thats what I am flying, with a custom paint I made for the race.) You can get his plane listed below, and just sub out the panel for the one I modified.

My Panel:
https://rcpt.yousendit.com/760434719/84070b69479a2406bb2d066aa6cdcc52

Mark Beaumonts Plane is Filename: Dc3_bb4.zip on flightsim.com.

Edit: I almost forgot.... You will need this aircraft cfg file, which is the identical cfg (legal for race) BUT has the mod to fix the radios and let the Sperry AP function. NO other mods were made to this cfg file... replace the aircraft cfg file in beaumonts airplane after you unzip and install it...

http://www.coxguitarrepair.com/zip/DC3_cfg.zip

I hope you enjoy it.... (please let me know if there are problems using it

simondix
October 24th, 2009, 05:51
Thanks for the files. I will fly the race first then try your excellent looking panel. Good luck for the rest of the race. I may see you in Baghdad!

EdGeneer
October 24th, 2009, 17:28
Departing ORBS for OIBB in DC3

Leg #5

EdGeneer
October 24th, 2009, 19:52
Down Safe at OIBB

EdGeneer
October 25th, 2009, 15:39
Departing OIBB for OIZJ in the DC3

Leg #6

EdGeneer
October 25th, 2009, 17:54
Down Safe OIZJ

EdGeneer
October 25th, 2009, 18:04
Departing OIZJ for OPKC in the DC3

Leg #7

EdGeneer
October 25th, 2009, 21:19
Down Safe at OPKC

Computer Issues after Departure Post... Stayed offline to MP server to fly leg.

EdGeneer
October 26th, 2009, 13:00
Departing OPKC for VIAL, DC3

Leg #8

EdGeneer
October 26th, 2009, 17:05
Down Safe at VIAL

EdGeneer
October 26th, 2009, 18:11
Departing VIAL to VECC in DC3

Leg #9

EdGeneer
October 26th, 2009, 20:16
Down Safe VECC

Steady 8 knot tailwind most of the flight, I'll take that any-day, but the visibility on landing was very poor and I almost missed the airport thinking i could pick it up so close in... next time, I will start further out to make sure the ndb's line up better to act as a direct in and i can adjust sooner... I think the vis was 1 mile at best, and was a bit of a white knuckler coming in.... once i picked up the apt hard to the right, a hard turn and re-adjustment got me into the smaller runway just fine for a good landing....

whew!!!

EdGeneer
October 27th, 2009, 13:13
Departing VECC for VYYY in the DC3

Leg #10

EdGeneer
October 27th, 2009, 16:10
Down Safe VYYY

EdGeneer
October 28th, 2009, 17:58
Departing VYYY for VTBD in the DC3

Leg #11, Short Leg to setup for long shot into Singapore

EdGeneer
October 28th, 2009, 19:41
Down Safe at VTBD.

EdGeneer
October 29th, 2009, 09:07
Just a question concerning which handicap time I am racing against...

As per Reggie, he suggested I post this info here, I asked him about the particular handicap time I am racing for. I suspect there may be a difference between my performance and the default dc3. I noticed in the official rules, the Mark Beaumont DC3 was legal, and thats what I am flying. However, I do not see that 4 tank plane listed in the aircraft list. so

Which specs am I racing against?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFields
Is this the 4 tank version of the DC-3 flight dynamics? From Mark Beaumont of the DC-3 Airways Group?

(My Reply back to Reggie)
I think I saw his initially at the dc-3 airways website, yes, but the file pointed to an avsim file, (not available) but was also on flightsim.com...

Yes, 4 tank version.... it says latest "no all tanks", and automixture version, but I dont have an automixture setting on the throddlestack i use for 4 tank switching, so, i dont know if the automixture works, i have to mix manually.

Filename; dc3_bb4.zip

i use the plane in the pack, but added a racepaint, nice soundset (per austin's engine sound suggestion), and moded a trev morson panel to reflect no vor/ils/gps etc... and added dual rmi, e6b, 4 tank throddle stack, etc. for the race...

Is this information for this legal plane in the list, and/or am I being timed against it, and/or the default dc3? As I told Reggie, I will accept whats fair, ofcourse, and dont want to be unfair, but at the same time, I dont want to be timed against a faster default dc3 dynamics which I am NOT flying.

Moses03
October 29th, 2009, 09:18
Ed,

I see two versions of the default DC-3 in the spreadsheet. One tested as is (209KTAS) and the 4-tanker version (211KTAS) which would be your mark. I am assuming this is the Beaumont airfile but not sure. I believe MM tested these initially so maybe him or one of the other Committee members knows exactly.

EdGeneer
October 29th, 2009, 17:13
Departing VTBD for WSSL in the DC3

Leg #12

EdGeneer
October 29th, 2009, 21:07
Down Safe at WSSL.

EdGeneer
October 29th, 2009, 21:55
Ed,

I see two versions of the default DC-3 in the spreadsheet. One tested as is (209KTAS) and the 4-tanker version (211KTAS) which would be your mark. I am assuming this is the Beaumont airfile but not sure. I believe MM tested these initially so maybe him or one of the other Committee members knows exactly.

I do know the 4 tank rr version is the radio range dc3, although Mark Beaumont worked on gauges on that a/c i think the flight dynamics are from Dave Bitzer. They both did the plane I am flying but I dont know if the cfg files are identical. i DO know that I am NOT getting numbers that are 209 or even 211 when i tested this plane, it wasnt as bad as i thought. but, running the race, persay, its alot less....

I just want to make sure the exact plane im flying is the same plane im racing against for handicap... plus OR minus....

Maybe I picked the wrong plane to fly.... Im gunna finish this in it either way...

salt_air
October 30th, 2009, 03:16
I do know the 4 tank rr version is the radio range dc3, although Mark Beaumont worked on gauges on that a/c i think the flight dynamics are from Dave Bitzer. They both did the plane I am flying but I dont know if the cfg files are identical. i DO know that I am NOT getting numbers that are 209 or even 211 when i tested this plane, it wasnt as bad as i thought. but, running the race, persay, its alot less....

I just want to make sure the exact plane im flying is the same plane im racing against for handicap... plus OR minus....

Maybe I picked the wrong plane to fly.... Im gunna finish this in it either way...

I was definately anxious to get this show on the road and did right away. Any others that have done so are facing what I found to be a plague of headwinds to some degree on each flight.

If you test an aircraft using clear wx settings running flat out in order to establish a mark for judging handicaps and fly the same aircraft with wind in the ol' mug, then you can not hit the bar. Not gonna happen.

I have a good sized list fo things I'd have done differently and one of them is to have waited for more favorable weather conditions. Having a tailwind component in place is sure-fire way to smash the posted speeds. Basically there are two things to do. One is using what NAV-AIDS are available to keep the aircraft close to course headings, and the other is a constant search for winds. If you manage an entire flight or even the majority of a flight without finding those winds then you are going to suffer.

bpfowler
October 30th, 2009, 07:28
[race cadet mumbles his question]
but how can one determine wind data in advance?

thanks
brady

Willy
October 30th, 2009, 08:16
I just take the winds as they come. Last night I had excellent tail winds from Beruit to Baghdad. On my ill fated flight out of Baghdad, I had some pretty strong winds, but they were coming right at my nose. Just the way it works out.

epwatson
October 30th, 2009, 08:21
I try to check weather forcasts, try to find the winds.. Good thing about this race as opposed to the RTWR is that you can wait for more favourable winds.. :)

Spookster67
October 30th, 2009, 08:37
At different altitudes you'll get different wind directions. So if you have a headwind at the level you're at, try higher or lower, and watch which way the wind direction changes. Good chance you'll find a tailwind (or at least just a sidewind) somewhere.

epwatson
October 30th, 2009, 08:56
A good rule of thumb though is that as you gain altitude wind veers and gains strength (due to lowering of surface friction)..

So as you get higher the strength of the wind will increase, and the direction it is coming from will change in a clockwise direction.

This is a general rule. If you are however near a pressure system or a front, this might change slightly as the pressures change around you. :) Happy flying..

EdGeneer
October 30th, 2009, 09:33
I realize all of this, fellas.... i watch the winds and the stream veins like a hawk. i think im being misunderstood...

I just want to know if the exact flight dynamics of the a/c im flying is what is being benched against my particular flights... thats all...

im not fretting over weather conditions... :isadizzy:

Spookster67
October 30th, 2009, 09:51
I realize all of this, fellas....
Sorry Ed, we have inadvertently hijacked your race thread, in order to answer the question raised by bpfowler.

Your question remains unanswered... but it's a good one. Someone must have done the tests to get the various DC-3 handicap speeds, or if not, then another test could be run now I guess.

EdGeneer
October 30th, 2009, 11:14
ahh, apologies.... i thought you guys were making fun of my flying.... :mixedsmi:

(not that its all that wonderful, ... )

:blind:

EdGeneer
October 30th, 2009, 17:34
Departing WSSL for WRSJ in the DC3

Leg #13 (oooo, 13 on Halloween!!!)

EdGeneer
October 30th, 2009, 21:35
Down Safe, WRSJ... Finally...

Nasty headwind the WHOLE way, any altitude.... YUK!!!

EdGeneer
October 31st, 2009, 17:31
Departing WRSJ for WRKK in the DC3

Leg #14

EdGeneer
October 31st, 2009, 20:40
Down Safe WRKK....

Awesome Tailwinds....

salt_air
November 1st, 2009, 04:00
A good night's work Ed!

There's a package waiting on ya at Port Darwin.......:jump:

Everything you'll be needin' to build yourself a Didgeridoo!!

Then you and the co-pilot can have a little something to do to pass the time flying from the Northern Territory over to Queensland.

Here's an example of how much fun you could be havin' soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOCpswO8DBE&feature=related

I'll be lookin' for the zig-zag flight path on the duenna for that flight.

Cheers,

EdGeneer
November 1st, 2009, 15:21
Departing WRKK for YPDN in the DC3

Leg #15

EdGeneer
November 1st, 2009, 17:32
Down Safe at YPDN

Australia!!!!

EdGeneer
November 1st, 2009, 18:00
Everything you'll be needin' to build yourself a Didgeridoo!!

I have a digeridoo, i made from pvc piping... fun fun fun...

I cant play it like that though... hehehe

gunna get some fosters for the trips across ausie!!!!

EdGeneer
November 2nd, 2009, 12:17
Departing YPDN for YCCY in the DC3

Leg #16

Crackin' a Fosters! Thanks Austin ;)

salt_air
November 2nd, 2009, 12:31
Have fun on your run mate....:wavey:

EdGeneer
November 2nd, 2009, 15:54
Down Safe YCCY.

Fosters in hand!!!

EdGeneer
November 2nd, 2009, 17:15
Departing YCCY for YBCV in the DC3

Leg #17

EdGeneer
November 2nd, 2009, 19:37
Down Safe YBCV....

One More Leg!!!!

Vicious
November 2nd, 2009, 19:43
Good luck on your last leg and the precision portion. Let's see if you can break 15 seconds. :jump:

EdGeneer
November 3rd, 2009, 14:54
Departing YBCV for YMEN in the DC3

Final Leg!!! Leg #18

Time Estimate 03:17:55.

Vicious
November 3rd, 2009, 17:44
Good Luck!

EdGeneer
November 3rd, 2009, 18:17
Down Safe at YMEN. !!!!!
its Fosters' Time!!!!!

Closer than I thought in estimate...

Vicious
November 3rd, 2009, 18:20
Congrats on a fine race!!! :applause:

EdGeneer
November 3rd, 2009, 18:23
Thank You.... I coouldnt beat you guys on precision, but Im happy with under 2 minutes estimate :)

Glad to have done it!!!... :ernae:

:icon29:
:isadizzy:

jkcook28
November 3rd, 2009, 18:24
Good show Ed! Here's another Fosters :icon29: :applause:

MM
November 3rd, 2009, 19:10
Wonderful stuff, Ed. Congratulations!

salt_air
November 4th, 2009, 03:09
Super Job Ed!!

You're right,,,,under two minutes is a very good showing.

A well conducted race.

:ernae:

RedGreen
November 4th, 2009, 04:00
Excellent job, Ed! Congratulations on making it all the way.:applause:

Moses03
November 4th, 2009, 05:07
Well done Ed! :ernae:

bpfowler
November 4th, 2009, 05:43
cheering. flowers thrown at the dc-3. a great race for the big twin engine American.
boys gawk, girls sigh.

Haitun
November 6th, 2009, 19:03
Congratulations, Ed!!!

EdGeneer
November 7th, 2009, 17:34
Thank You Gentlemen....

Was a blast. Im very glad I participated in this event and will do so again next year for sure. I think I will enter twice, once for Golden Age and once for Modern Era... This was fun.... Definitely...

:jump:

donlimpio
November 8th, 2009, 11:12
catching up now, congratulations, well done!