PDA

View Full Version : Falcon409_Black Magic

falcon409
October 20th, 2009, 06:05
I have the Baton (for what it's worth), enroute from EGUN to LFPO.

falcon409
October 20th, 2009, 07:46
Landed at Orly_LFPO:

falcon409
October 20th, 2009, 07:47
I have the Baton:
Departing Orly for Rome.

MM
October 20th, 2009, 07:58
Note that Orly (LFPO) is not Le Bourget (LFPB).

falcon409
October 20th, 2009, 08:14
I'm out!

Not only can I not get the reports to look like every other individual in the race, but now I'm flying a different race. I downloaded (from here) a race form that showed a 23 segment path. I assumed that was the official race format.

I have terminated the current flight and my participation. Good luck guys!

MaddogK
October 20th, 2009, 09:47
no dude, don't give up after the first leg. I would've done the same thing had I not re-read the rules last night, and altered my flightplan. That 23 segment post was MM's run last year IIRC, the rules changed this year, ORLY was also my first stop, but I changed it LAST NIGHT to LFPB. Get the rules PDF, and run the leg again, or take the penalty and fly to LFPB from ORLY.

...don't give up !!!

Moses03
October 20th, 2009, 09:53
Falcon- I did the same thing in our last event. I was supposed to land at Le Bourget but landed at Orly by accident and felt the same frustration! To echo Maddog, don't throw in the towel so soon. Others (including myself) are sure to get lost at some point.

falcon409
October 20th, 2009, 10:22
Thanks guys but not only did I get the wrong Flight Plan, but I honestly did no preparation for this at all and all of that combined has told me I'm over my head here.

I don't ever fly using NDB's. . .never understood the need given all the modern navigational aids. I don't fly anything but modern aircraft anyway and so to just suddenly jump into the "way back machine", was not a smart idea.

I chose an aircraft that I liked based on it's appearance and speed only to discover that the aircraft is squirrely as heck until it's in straight and level flight. I crashed three straight times trying to get off the ground at Mildenhall and almost decided enough is enough at that point. Preparation is the key and did none at all with the airplane I chose.

So, I guess you could say I have learned my lesson. Simply jumping into a new airplane on the day of the race, with no navigational experience beyond the more modern VOR/GPS/Glass cockpit was very ill advised.

Enjoy the race all.:ernae:

MaddogK
October 20th, 2009, 10:31
There still the modern era you could participate in.

Bry Rosier
October 20th, 2009, 10:44
I echo these points also Falcon , Jump into a modern GA , the list is long :) and fly using the navigation you are familiar with :) The GA restrictions are much less and enjoy :)

Also the race lasts for basically one month so plenty of time to iron out any niggles before committing to a leg , and , as you know , there are many friendly , experienced , helpful ears in this community ready to assist ;)

Willy
October 20th, 2009, 11:01
Falcon, like said above if you're more comfortable with modern nav equipment, then fly modern era GA. You can use all the nav goodies and land at any airport. There's quite a list of pre-approved aircraft.

I'm going to take off sometime today in a Cessna Skymaster. If I have enough time after I get it to Melbourne, then I'll go back and do it again in Golden Age. But first, I'm intending to burn up some sky in that Cessna.