PDA

View Full Version : Rob O. / Golden Age / DH.88 Comet

Great Ozzie
October 20th, 2009, 04:09
From Kiwi Aircraft Images (http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/comet.html):

"The creation of the Comet was a response by de Havilland to the prospect of a non-British aircraft winning the 1934 England - Australia air race. De Havilland proposed to build the racer for 5000 pounds and three were ordered off the drawing board in February 1934. The aircraft introduced new technology to de Havilland aircraft including retractable undercarriage, split flaps, and variable pitch propellers. It is credited as providing vital experience to later war work. The first Comet was flown on September 8, and all three started the race at Mildenhall on October 20."

"G-ACSR (c/n 1995) Built for Bernard Rubins. First flown October 12, 1934, the CoA was issued the same day. G-ACSR came in 4th in the England - Australia race, but went on to set an England - Australia return record. After the 1934 air race the aircraft was named "Reine Astrid". Sold to the French government and reregistered as F-ANPY, the aircraft (set) a Croyden - Le Bourget record of 52 minutes for mail delivery, on July 5, 1935. The aircraft was then used for mail proving flights. After the occupation of France by the German Army, the aircraft was destroyed in a hangar fire at Istres in 1940."

And from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DH.88):

"The DH.88 might have been the last of the high performance wooden aircraft but for a shortage of metal for aircraft construction during World War II. As it turned out, experience with the DH.88 would be put to use in designing one of the war's finest aircraft — the de Havilland Mosquito."

Great Ozzie
October 20th, 2009, 04:38
Taking the Baton from RAF Mildenhall to Aleppo, Syria (EGUN - OSAP)

Great Ozzie
October 20th, 2009, 14:53
Have successfully released the Baton at Aleppo, Syria (OSAP) :jump:

Bry Rosier
October 20th, 2009, 14:55
Mad !!!!! Great leg Mate :applause:

bpfowler
October 20th, 2009, 16:12
[race commentary]
even by Hollywood Starlet Standards, that's a Long leg.
10 hrs in one go, whoa nellie.

Great Ozzie
October 20th, 2009, 20:14
Thanks Sir Bry :ernae:

and yes bp... quite long but great fun the entire route (except the thunderboomer in Turkey :-P ).

Taking the Baton from Aleppo to Baghdad (OSAP-ORBI)

Great Ozzie
October 20th, 2009, 22:31
Have successfully released the Baton at Baghdad :iraq: (ORBI) :mixedsmi:

Great Ozzie
October 21st, 2009, 07:59
Taking the Baton from Baghdad to Agra (ORBI :iraq: -VIAG :india:)

Willy
October 21st, 2009, 09:38
Be sure and check out the Taj Mahal while at Agra! I'm just amazed at the length of the legs here. My comp throws a bucking fit at about the 3 1/2 hour mark.

epwatson
October 21st, 2009, 09:44
Seriously Rob, your gonna get to the end before i can get in the air. :)

Moses03
October 21st, 2009, 10:53
http://i38.tinypic.com/wlxk3n.jpg

Great Ozzie
October 21st, 2009, 11:10
Be sure and check out the Taj Mahal while at Agra! I'm just amazed at the length of the legs here. My comp throws a bucking fit at about the 3 1/2 hour mark.

Hmmm... speaking of which... I was just discussing with my co-pilot the idea of giving a rebel yell over Agra (instead of landing :icon_eek: ) and continuing straight on to Allahabad. Nothing but clear skies and tail winds (well for the most part).

But he says he's got a wife and kids (needs the money from the race) and a reputation to protect (pffff). So what else to do but land, have a few beers and see the sites?

(btw, I don't dare tell him the "Western Union" from the Organizers "softened me up"... I have an image to protect :p:)

Seriously Rob, your gonna get to the end before i can get in the air.

:p: :p: :p:

I have a CFI Renewal Course I must attend this weekend, EP (or I lose my ticket... FAA mandated every 2 years :frown: ) so you'll have "plenty" of time to finish before me.

Great Ozzie
October 21st, 2009, 16:58
Have successfully released the Baton at Agra (VIAG :india:)

Exceeded the 12.000' "soft-ceiling" to avoid mountainous terrain (17min @ 14,000)... a more detailed description to follow.

Great Ozzie
October 21st, 2009, 18:38
I'd like a Race Committee ruling (please) on the following:

I have been flight planning "Direct" then defining my route by NDBs e.g. this last flight:

ORBI -> BH -> DZF -> ESH -> YZD -> ZAL -> QT -> BW -> AG -> VIAG

For the route, ORBI direct VIAG, FSX Flt Planner gives a Cruising Altitude of 15.500MSL which I have assumed, for all intents and purposes, as an MEA.

In this case, one can naturally assume a climb above 12.000'MSL will be necessary.

As I said above (at approx. 1:20 into the flight) I climbed to 14.000'MSL to avoid mountainous terrain and was above 12.000'MSL for a period of approx. 17 minutes. Also there was a brief excursion to 12.500'MSL (approx. 7hrs 50 into the flight) for a just a few minutes to avoid one peak.

My understanding of the rules is/was this is an acceptable procedure, in fact, how the rules were designed. My logic came from the FARs for the (Part 91) requirement for supplemental oxygen. If intent is considered, there was no desire or intent to skirt either the letter or spirit of the rules. However, after discussing this with fellow flyers, and my re-reading the rules, particularly the phrase "—but not as a standard operating procedure” I can see how there may be a violation.

The Question:

Does this Flt Planning Procedure fall within the Rules / spirit of the Rules i.e. knowing beforehand a climb will more likely than not be required? Does "—but not as a standard operating procedure" refer to routinely exceeding the soft-ceiling of 12.000'MSL in practice or does it also include in flight planning expecting that climb will be necessary?

Thanks...

RFields
October 21st, 2009, 19:03
Your description and your Duenna log match. That was the intent of the soft ceiling rule.

Brief periods of higher than 12K altitude are allowed due to terrain avoidance. However, the 15K ceiling is a hard one. It cannot be exceeded. That makes the flight invalid.

I also had to exceed 12K on my flight over the Alps - and just as you did - noted the reason in my post.

The MS Flight Planner can get you in trouble. It sets the flight minimum altitude as 2,000 ft higher than the highest grid cell on the route.

FS does not has have as flexible a MSA as the real world because the girds are square. Some parts of a grid can be over the ocean, yet have a MSA of 8K because of a 5.9K peak 10 miles inland.

Also, as in my case - a detailed terrain mesh can raise the peaks by a couple thousand feet. So flying at the MS 'safe' altitude can still put a pilot into a granite cloud.

Great Ozzie
October 21st, 2009, 19:13
Ok Reggie... thanks for that explanation (and phew! btw).

MM
October 21st, 2009, 19:15
The only added point, implied in Reggie's informative explanation, is that a pilot may not legally climb above 15,000ft--even if he encounters higher obstacles. He will want to go around.

Great Ozzie
October 22nd, 2009, 08:17
Yes sir... am clear on that... a pilot climbing, hits 15,001' MSL, that constitutes a rule violation.

There is no: "Sir, I had him in my sights. He saw me move in for the kill. He proceeded 'above' the 'hard-ceiling'. We were 'above' for just a few seconds. I had the shot. There was no danger, so I took it." :bump:

Thanks Mike

Great Ozzie
October 22nd, 2009, 08:21
A Baghdad Sunrise

Great Ozzie
October 22nd, 2009, 08:50
Last night, the Sim-Outhouse Forum was not accessible by either myself or Buzz (I couldn't access from roughly from 2300 UTC? to approx. 1000 UTC fwiw). We posted our "I have the baton/baton is released" in this AVSIM post (http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=264263) (AVSIM RTWR Forum) to have a recorded time stamp.

This is for the hop: VIAG - VIAL

See also: Flight Tracker Link (http://www.fsrtwrace.com/track/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=4xdzBZFr4x5zf8Dors0GLFj2PD0)

Vicious
October 22nd, 2009, 11:25
No doubt you were watching Top Gun the other evening.

srgalahad
October 22nd, 2009, 11:43
I see you snuck into VIAL ok! Hope it was a peaceful hop and didn't need the "planned on a napkin approach".

Rob

Great Ozzie
October 22nd, 2009, 12:29
Taking the Baton from Allahabad to Sultan Abdul Halim Airport, Alor Star (VIAL :india: - WMKA :malaysia:)

:p: @ Tom

I see you snuck into VIAL ok! Hope it was a peaceful hop and didn't need the "planned on a napkin approach".

Rob
Yes sir, was at least 3 in Haze (and "fumar"). :-) Very quiet straight shot. Thanks for the co-planning session. Does this mean you'll be my RIO anytime? :cost1: (apologies... I just can't get these Top Gun quotes out of my head). I know I know... "you don't know me that well." :icon_lol:

Great Ozzie
October 22nd, 2009, 20:26
Have successfully released the Baton at Sultan Abdul Halim Airport, Alor Star :malaysia: (WMKA)

Great Ozzie
October 23rd, 2009, 07:36
Taking the Baton from Sultan Abdul Halim Airport, Alor Star :malaysia: to Seletar Airport, Singapore :singapore: (WMKA - WSSL)

Great Ozzie
October 23rd, 2009, 09:27
Have successfully released the Baton at Seletar Airport, Singapore :singapore: (WSSL)

Great Ozzie
October 23rd, 2009, 09:53
Again, a very relaxed flight like yesterday, although today it was simpler as I would know if I’m off-course if I were to stray over the ocean. :p: NAVAIDS not necessary on this one as I was cruising @ 6000’ in mainly VFR weather (for the favorable winds & to do a little pilotage for once). Had to go higher briefly for terrain clearance in two places (the second snuck up on me as I didn't think the peak hit 6000' and i was horsing around on a Forum).

Decided to delay my descent this time as the FSX Flight Planner map precisely matched the scenery and Visual Approach was no problem from 20 miles out. Turned out that I was a bit over-confident there as turning a 2-mile final I realized no way I could bleed off airspeed/altitude quickly enough and keep from over-running that 5000' Runway.

A Weak Decision to do a couple of S-Turns then a (oh just do it!) 360° Turn a half-mile out (being extra careful knowing the hazards of low-altitude maneuvering esp. in this position). Once Gear & Flaps are out the Comet plays nice (at the risk of sounding fighter pilot-ish) i.e. bleeds energy rather quickly. Just a matter of giving her my total, undivided attention until full-stop.

A side note: I have been very fortunate at each stop having essentially calm winds on the field. Today no exception. Even a couple knots of crosswind, and the Comet will let you know it's there and you better pay extra attention during the rollout.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and has the same (or better :p: ) weather that I did. The Reine Astrid is in the shop till Sunday Night. :ernae:

epwatson
October 23rd, 2009, 10:10
Well if your done till Sunday, time to play catchup since your in Singapore already. :)

Great Ozzie
October 26th, 2009, 07:20
Taking the Baton from Seletar Airport, Singapore :singapore: to El Tari Airport in Kupang :indonesia: (WSSL-WATT)

(... c'mon EP! :jump: )

Great Ozzie
October 26th, 2009, 14:38
Have successfully released the Baton at El Tari Airport in Kupang :indonesia: (WATT) :bump:

Great Ozzie
October 26th, 2009, 18:32
Taking the Baton from El Tari Airport, Kupang :indonesia: to Darwin Intl :australia: (WATT-YPDN)

Great Ozzie
October 26th, 2009, 20:50
Have successfully released the Baton at Darwin Intl :australia: (YPDN) :ernae:

Winds at Darwin were 295@17 which I really thought would be a problem even tho the Rwy Heading is 285°, however the Comet shrugged them off almost as if they weren't there.

(Btw... for you non-Star Trek fans's, the pic above is Gagarin IV's Darwin Genetic Research Station :p: )

epwatson
October 27th, 2009, 07:43
(Btw... for you non-Star Trek fans's, the pic above is Gagarin IV's Darwin Genetic Research Station :p: )

Ahh yes, where Dr. Kate Pulaski got "old", damn Genetic Engineering.. :)

Great Ozzie
October 27th, 2009, 09:48
Ahh yes, where Dr. Kate Pulaski got "old", damn Genetic Engineering.. :)

Yes :d where they put Kate in the transporter and set it to "spin cycle" to wash the "pathogen" out of her system. :bump:

Great Ozzie
October 27th, 2009, 10:26
Taking the Baton from Darwin Intl :australia: to Charleville Airport :australia: (YPDN-YBCV)

On approach (yesterday) to Darwin Airport

Great Ozzie
October 27th, 2009, 16:46
Landed at Charleville but... Duenna didn't start (auto-pickup was ticked but Error message said something like: failed to connect to server) and I failed to notice this as I fly full screen (and thought I saw it start :isadizzy: ). Just....

For "documentation purposes" FSX shows it fitting in within posting times but... I'll get a Duenna for this one.

Great Ozzie
October 27th, 2009, 22:24
Pictures from "The Flight That Time Forgot"

Great Ozzie
October 28th, 2009, 10:43
Taking the Baton from Darwin Intl :australia: to Charleville Airport :australia: (YPDN-YBCV)

arrvoo
October 28th, 2009, 10:50
I can confirm that your Duenna is showing up on the flight tracker. :icon_lol:

Great Ozzie
October 28th, 2009, 11:24
I can confirm that your Duenna is showing up on the flight tracker. :icon_lol:

:p:

Thanks Harvey

yes... tying that into "gear up, flaps up, good duenna" mental climb checklist. Should have done that long ago.

Great Ozzie
October 28th, 2009, 16:46
Have successfully released the Baton at Charleville Airport :australia: (YBCV)

(Today you could have seen a 3-hopper Bry :p: )

Great Ozzie
October 29th, 2009, 05:32
Posted 2 minutes after Departure ||| & :banghead:

Starting over....

Flight Tracker Reference Link (http://www.fsrtwrace.com/track/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=PxVZBxn74NhMZtVTnpDyYF6e62A)

Great Ozzie
October 29th, 2009, 06:03
Taking the Baton from Charleville :australia: to Melbourne :australia: (YBCV-YMEN)

"For the Precision Challenge my Estimated Flight Time Enroute to Melbourne is: 3hrs 23minutes"

salt_air
October 29th, 2009, 08:09
Good Luck on the time Rob! :applause:

One of your shorter flights, eh?

Great Ozzie
October 29th, 2009, 08:54
Thanks Sir Salt... yes...

Just flying over Echuca (YECH) now... 95nm to go.

Great Ozzie
October 29th, 2009, 09:25
Have successfully released the Baton at Melbourne :australia: (YMEN)

phew! btw (also btw... excuse me as crowd is going wild :p: )

Winds at pattern altitude descending into Melbourne were NW @ 9kts... so I planned left traffic for 35... then on downwind saw @ 19kts and was "oh boy... just great." However on rollout winds were calm! Go figure!

Moses03
October 29th, 2009, 09:36
http://i36.tinypic.com/otltgn.jpg

:applause::medals::ernae:

srgalahad
October 29th, 2009, 09:37
Congratulations Rob. First to Finish!!!!

Estimate noted and recorded, with a score of 124 points

Rob

MM
October 29th, 2009, 09:56
Excellent flying, Rob.

As we all know, the FS Comet can bite one's tail. Having the courage to take it on and then the skill to handle it flawlessly--Congratulations.:applause:

Great Ozzie
October 29th, 2009, 10:04
Beaucoup Thanks Gentlemen! :ernae:

Yes Many Thanks also to Race Committee and our ".xls Trackers" :ernae:

Hurry & Join here gents! These Aussies are just the most delightful people! (Back to the crowds btw! :d )

Vicious
October 29th, 2009, 10:22
Congrats Rob!!! :applause:

Hope to meet you there on Saturday.

salt_air
October 29th, 2009, 10:46
Super Job!!

Way to go Rob,,,super demonstration of pilotage all the way around...:medals:

I'll be right along......

Spookster67
October 29th, 2009, 10:48
Great work Rob, excellent flying! :applause:

Bry Rosier
October 29th, 2009, 10:59
Congratulations Rob , A herculean effort to take the "widow maker" all the way without incident:ernae::icon29::icon29::icon29: Superb flying mate

arrvoo
October 29th, 2009, 11:08
Excellently done Rob. You do realise you're No1 Comet flyer in the RTWR now?:icon_lol:

Congrats.

Great Ozzie
October 29th, 2009, 11:16
Stop guys... you're making me blush. :redface:

Seriously tho... thanks... :ernae:

Willy
October 29th, 2009, 11:35
Congratulations Rob.. Job well done! :ernae:

bpfowler
October 29th, 2009, 12:41
fabulous run! we plebes in the stands applaud, and throw confetti, alors!!

srgalahad
October 29th, 2009, 14:00
Stop guys... you're making me blush. :redface:

That's probably the Aussie gals in the crowd that are glad to see a new male in town. (Hmmm.. fresh meat...:icon_lol:)

Haitun
November 2nd, 2009, 01:34
Congratulations, Rob!

donlimpio
November 8th, 2009, 11:26
Very belated congratulations Rob, nice flying!

EdGeneer
November 9th, 2009, 12:14
Great Job!!! Thats quite a plane to fly.... :)

Congrats on the finish... belated welcome to Melborne :icon29: