PDA

View Full Version : Is it true about Windows 7?

Helldiver
October 19th, 2009, 13:16
I don't know if it's true but as an owner of Windows XP Professional that I can get Windows 7 for only $50? Or is it somebody just fooling me.
Do I have to bring my copy to the store?

Anneke
October 19th, 2009, 13:34
there seem to a policy of free upgrades with recent Vista PC 's. However I Europe you have to pay around 250 EUR for a Ultimate Win7 upgrade from XP.

Unless you're a student of course :engel016:

JSkorna
October 19th, 2009, 13:43
I would be very careful of that price. Is this at a major store or a little shop?

pbearsailor
October 19th, 2009, 13:43
There was a pre-order deal like that a month or so ago, but I don't know if it's still going. Mine will come from NewEgg when it's released and I paid $50 for the upgrade.

cheers,
steve :wavey:

PutPut
October 19th, 2009, 13:47
I don't know if it's true but as an owner of Windows XP Professional that I can get Windows 7 for only $50? Or is it somebody just fooling me.
Do I have to bring my copy to the store?

I preordered my copy of Win7 for $50 at Bestbuy some months ago. Don't know if the offer is still valid. Did it online and didn't show them anything. The upgrade rules are made by Microsoft. If you upload from Vista you don't have to reload everything. If you upload from Win XP like me you must reload everything new. Won't work with ME ,Win98 or earlier.
I just checked my order status at Bestbuy and it says it will be delivered 10/22/09.

Paul

harleyman
October 19th, 2009, 13:48
First things first..

Run this tool and see if your puter will run Win7.....
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

It looks like you have to upgrage to Vista first, then upgrade from that to Win7.

As far as just getting a discount on Win7 cause you own XP, I doubt it..but I could be wrong and can't find any info about it yet.

PutPut
October 19th, 2009, 13:54
[QUOTE=harleyman;273066]First things first..

It looks like you have to upgrage to Vista first, then upgrade from that to Win7.

You don't have to upgrade from XP to Vista first; it is just that you have to wipe the drive clean and reload everything after installing the OS. I will have to do that with my XP machine. My wife has Vista on her laptop and can just upgrade the OS without upsetting everything else. BTW, she gets a free upgrade to Win7 because she just got her laptop (Toshiba) with Vista installed a couple of months ag

Cheers, Paul

hey_moe
October 19th, 2009, 14:11
I hate to tell you guys this but there is no such thing as a update. All copies of Windows are the full versions of the operation system. There is a work around to get the update to see the full version.Example : Take Vista, you can take the updated copy of Windows and install it the first time and not put in the ID number, once it is installed you can click on to reinstall the update and it installs as a full version. The only thing Windows needs to know it that you at one time owned the orginial copy of the OS. Now in HD's case they have a special copy of Windows for him....It's called Window7/74/Pro/ won't Fobar,ect..ect. it needs no memory,nor does it need a processor or a video card. It's on sale right now at his local libary for 19.95, it looks just like a paper back book.

harleyman
October 19th, 2009, 14:21
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Now I'm really confuzzled !

Was there not an upgrade from Millinium to XP that was just that? An Update?

deimos256
October 19th, 2009, 15:17
i know if your a student you can get home premium or professional for 30 dollars

hey_moe
October 20th, 2009, 02:21
You could have installed XP Update only and when it asked you for the orginial copy all ya had to do was insert the CD, all it did was copy one inf.file and then finished installing XP.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Now I'm really confuzzled !

Was there not an upgrade from Millinium to XP that was just that? An Update?

SkippyBing
October 20th, 2009, 02:29
Yeah, basically the update just checks to see whether you had a previous version of Windows iaw the terms and conditions of sale, it's perfectly possible and indeed preferable to do a clean install. Having seen the problems with an update/service pack to FSX can you imagine the chaos if you tried actually upgrading an OS!

kilo delta
October 20th, 2009, 02:42
A fresh install is always preferable. :engel016:

I still haven't tried out W7!:monkies::kilroy: I've been running Vista Ultimate 64 bit on all of my PC's without any issues whatsoever and don't really see the need to change just yet.