PDA

View Full Version : Northrup P-61 for FSX?

Dain Arns
October 19th, 2009, 08:35
Pretty straight up. Is anyone doing a Northrop P-61 for FSX? I thought MAAM was at some point?

Henry
October 19th, 2009, 08:39
they were i do not know the progress.
there was a donationware one being built
but thats only in idea form
H

IanP
October 19th, 2009, 08:45
MAAM, if I remember correctly, were holding off on theirs until the Black Widow was rebuilt. The original idea was the make the FS model to help fund the restoration, but there were a number of set-backs and changed priorities. I've certainly not seen any progress with it at all, as a member of the beta team.

With updates for the B-25 and R4D in the works and the Avenger still being tweaked, I wouldn't have thought there was a lot of signs of one appearing in the near future.

Cratermaker
October 19th, 2009, 08:49
That would be FANTASTIC if someone would develop a nice Black Widow. :applause:

DennyA
October 19th, 2009, 12:50
I'd love one in FSX, but I'd really love a P-61 in a combat flight sim.

Poor Jack Northrop. Nobody wanted his flying wings, McDonnell Douglas stole all the F-17 business, they made the awesome F-20 and nobody wanted it, and on top of that, for 60 years people have been spelling his name with a U. :)

michael davies
October 19th, 2009, 15:11
they were i do not know the progress.
there was a donationware one being built
but thats only in idea form
H

Probably the nicest mesh I ever made, regrettably not finished....like many others :(. Source files in Max are still available if anyone wants to finish it off for SoH donationware.

Best

Michael

olaf1924
October 19th, 2009, 15:30
DennyA cfs2 has a blackwidow that was updated with in thelast twelve months.

DennyA
October 19th, 2009, 15:56
Thanks, Olaf. I wonder if I can find my CFS2 discs... That was a loooong time ago. :)

olaf1924
October 19th, 2009, 16:06
Denny how many years has it been since you last used cfs2?

Piglet
October 19th, 2009, 16:27
I got plans to do a F-15 Reporter version, sometime...

fliger747
October 19th, 2009, 23:53
I did a really nice flight model for the above aircraft that Miachael built. Indeed a beauty! Flew really nice and a ball of fun. Just lacked a VC... minor detail....

michael davies
October 20th, 2009, 01:17
Just lacked a VC... minor detail....

And paint, pilot figure, seats, yada yada yada :). Yes the FDE was really sweet.

Trust me, its with great regret I let every one down, I'll get my coat now,

Kindest

Michael

Cratermaker
October 20th, 2009, 13:55
Oh man, that looks nice. I wish I had the know how to finish it.

crashaz
October 20th, 2009, 14:01
Probably the nicest mesh I ever made, regrettably not finished....like many others :(. Source files in Max are still available if anyone wants to finish it off for SoH donationware.

Best

Michael
If no one takes you up on it to finish for donationware in true FSX modeling... I will volunteer!

Might as well start on this one as my Wildcat just got lost on a HD crash.
Just had the prop materials to finish for the external model and landing gear animation.

I can get the MAX file back via my download account.

Now I will have to start over. Guess we need a P-61 more than a Wildcat.
:blind:

BOOM!!

LordAkshay798
October 20th, 2009, 14:52
If no one takes you up on it to finish for donationware in true FSX modeling... I will volunteer!

Just had the prop materials to finish for the external model and landing gear animation.

BOOM!!

If you want, I could provide some pictures of a P-61's interior.
Please either PM me or e-mail me at Akshay4012@gmail.com

crashaz
October 20th, 2009, 15:05
Email sent! Wow.. good source material for a P-61 interior was going to be hard.
:wavey:

michael davies
October 20th, 2009, 15:37

BOOM!!

Well no one has in the last year or so, just call and I'll send over the source files and the sim files so you can at least fly it right off the bat and make an educated conclusion whether its viable or not. I can also pack up what images I have here, also a copy of the manual (pdf....that may have come from one of the SoH members but I dont think it'd be an issue sending it to you) and if you give me your postal address you can have the Warbirdtech series book too.

Wildcat you say, started one of them too LOL, stopped mine when I heard that a major addon player was planning one, considering who its was it was a no brainer decision as the competition was too fierce.

Kindest

Michael

LordAkshay798
October 20th, 2009, 15:42
Well no one has in the last year or so, just call and I'll send over the source files and the sim files so you can at least fly it right off the bat and make an educated conclusion whether its viable or not. I can also pack up what images I have here, also a copy of the manual (pdf....that may have come from one of the SoH members but I dont think it'd be an issue sending it to you) and if you give me your postal address you can have the Warbirdtech series book too.

Wildcat you say, started one of them too LOL, stopped mine when I heard that a major addon player was planning one, considering who its was it was a no brainer decision as the competition was too fierce.

Kindest

Michael

Can you please send me the manual also?:kilroy:

crashaz
October 20th, 2009, 15:51

Kindest

Michael

Yeah I have been working for the last 3 weeks with the FSX SDK... got to know it pretty well... like making sure all your pivots are pointing the right way before animating..... ack!

Also really familiar with materials ... think I will purchase CrazyBump and the 3D Ultimate Unwrapper to make up for passing on not recovering my old HD.

michael davies
October 20th, 2009, 15:59
OK guys, panic attack, just checked my source files, no P-61, checked the spare drive, not there either, nor on the two external back ups, its just gone !.

I did post a link in the SoH beta forum with the files in, link now dead so its not on my FTP any more, the only hope now is if one of the other guys in that forum picked it up for safe keeping, Willy or Mopormike, Fliger, Henry, anyone....aggghhh...help !!.

Best

Michael

crashaz
October 20th, 2009, 15:59
Just got the PM..... yeah I will stop on the Wildkitty then. Hopefully the Widow then. :icon_lol:

Henry
October 20th, 2009, 17:07
OK guys, panic attack, just checked my source files, no P-61, checked the spare drive, not there either, nor on the two external back ups, its just gone !.

I did post a link in the SoH beta forum with the files in, link now dead so its not on my FTP any more, the only hope now is if one of the other guys in that forum picked it up for safe keeping, Willy or Mopormike, Fliger, Henry, anyone....aggghhh...help !!.

Best

Michael
i got it somwhere!
ill check
i never delete anything
H

crashaz
October 20th, 2009, 18:45
Goooooo 'enry!!!:applause:

DennyA
October 20th, 2009, 20:22
Phew. Good to hear, Henry.

CRASHAZ! Dude, you gotta back up every night when you're working on a plane we'd all love! Toss together a quick Robocopy batch file and it's one double-click to back up your work to another drive or another PC on your network... Sorry to hear about the loss of your Wildcat.

crashaz
October 20th, 2009, 21:25
I quit feeling sorry for myself... thought of hitting the bottle...passed on that ...moved to my laptop and started on another plane.

A B-25 B.... I love Briefing Time but it looks funny taking off from the Hornet.

Lets see how far I get before they find the P-61 mesh.

I am stepping away from the edge.

jankees
October 20th, 2009, 21:43

BOOM!!

Ouch, that is really too bad. A wildcat would have been great.
I was collecting Wildcat paint ideas already.

crashaz
October 20th, 2009, 21:51
I still have the mesh Jankees... just found out that a payware developer was working on a version.

How's a Ruptured Duck livery sound? :icon_lol:

DennyA
October 20th, 2009, 23:14
Forget the Wildcat. I'm still drooling at the idea of flying a B-25B from the Hornet!

(If you go through with it, don't forget to model the painted broomstick sticking out the back! :)

jankees
October 20th, 2009, 23:46
I still have the mesh Jankees... just found out that a payware developer was working on a version.

How's a Ruptured Duck livery sound? :icon_lol:

For the B-25? Sure...and maybe one for the 320 MLD squadron (though that was a C-model)?

I thought you'd lost all your wildcat data, phew

fliger747
October 21st, 2009, 00:56
I still have the (very nice) P-61 on my computer, though no source files.

F4F... mmmmmmmm nice plane..... T

fliger747
October 21st, 2009, 00:58
Last planes I loved that much in the pre alpha.. the B-26 and the griz....

T

Piglet
October 21st, 2009, 01:36
A B-25 B

It's about time some one does a B-25B/C! I can scratch mine off the list.
Bored with all the G, H, and J models...

michael davies
October 21st, 2009, 02:07
I still have the (very nice) P-61 on my computer, though no source files.

F4F... mmmmmmmm nice plane..... T

Could you send it to me please, that 'grabber' methioned by Dino a few days back might work well enough to get a source file back from the model, it wasn't textured so no issue's with mapping etc, it might grab enough to give a reasonable basis to carry on ?.

Best

Michael

Henry
October 21st, 2009, 06:13
Could you send it to me please, that 'grabber' methioned by Dino a few days back might work well enough to get a source file back from the model, it wasn't textured so no issue's with mapping etc, it might grab enough to give a reasonable basis to carry on ?.

Best

Michael
Michael i have all files including sorce
pm me with an addy
H

Cratermaker
October 21st, 2009, 06:43
Michael i have all files including sorce
pm me with an addy
H
:applause: So glad to hear nothing was lost!

Henry
October 21st, 2009, 07:13
Michael you have a pm
no need for addy
the pm should be enough
cannot be without a p61
H

Henry
October 21st, 2009, 07:57
Yup got the lot!
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/henrybaker/p613.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/henrybaker/p611.jpg

H

fliger747
October 21st, 2009, 08:36
Just took it for a flight! Quite a fun bird!

Cheers: T

crashaz
October 21st, 2009, 08:40
HeeYah!!!:jump:

crashaz
October 21st, 2009, 09:42
For the B-25? Sure...and maybe one for the 320 MLD squadron (though that was a C-model)?

I thought you'd lost all your wildcat data, phew

Well the nice thing about an SOH built donationware project.. we can get all the things we want in it. Looking at the plans not much difference between a B/C. So we add both. :icon_lol:

Also want a variation of the B... between broomsticks and real guns in the tail.

michael davies
October 21st, 2009, 10:06
Henry, your a diamond geeza !.

Best

Michael

Michael you have a pm
no need for addy
the pm should be enough
cannot be without a p61
H

michael davies
October 21st, 2009, 10:09
HeeYah!!!:jump:

You have the source files yet ?, I'll set up a PM with the manual and image zips I have for ya.

Kindest

Michael

LordAkshay798
October 21st, 2009, 14:26
I think this might help! :)
http://www.maam.org/p61/p61_rest.htm

SkyHawk024
July 29th, 2017, 19:52
any news on the new development?
:eagerness:

stansdds
July 30th, 2017, 03:26
any news on the new development?
:eagerness:

As far as I know, all flight sim projects by MAAM came to an end in 2013 when the two people who were responsible for their flightsim development retired.

Sundog
July 30th, 2017, 17:44
Wasn't this project taken over by someone else?

Milton Shupe
July 30th, 2017, 18:19
Wasn't this project taken over by someone else?

Robert took over the Michael Davies project; took it to very high level inside. Ran into limits issues as I recall; wrestled with it for months.

He then went payware. Project died.

N2056
July 30th, 2017, 18:30
As I recall at the time I parked it the main problem had to do with successfully exporting the model as it had become fairly complex. That issue has been resolved, I still have all the files, and I occasionally pick at it. I have moved the model from Gmax to Max, and I do intend to finish it at some point. I am currently working on finishing my first major commercial project (EagleSoft Cessna Citation XLS+). I have learned a lot about modeling while working on it, and I will be incorporating those new skills on the P-61 when I get back into it.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52346&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52347&stc=1

StormILM
July 30th, 2017, 19:04
Robert, it's still a beauty and I for one (and I'm sure many others) would gladly support the P-61 on the payware side of the fence when time permits.

stovall
July 31st, 2017, 06:22
Robert, you have my vote for payware. I followed your progress closely while I was doing the scenery for Iwo Jima with Mark. Hearing it is going to be finished is great news. Thanks for the pics.

Roger
July 31st, 2017, 07:07
That is good news!

WarHorse47
July 31st, 2017, 08:00
Count me in... :adoration:

Seahawk72s
September 6th, 2017, 14:44
A timeless beauty.
I too would support payware for your efforts..

warchild
September 6th, 2017, 17:01
And paint, pilot figure, seats, yada yada yada :). Yes the FDE was really sweet.

Trust me, its with great regret I let every one down, I'll get my coat now,

Kindest

Michael

Michael.
YOU DIDNT LET ANYONE DOWN..
Robert has the 3D source files. I and Paul Frimston have the flight model, and its two years more complete than you were able to do. It's exact. allll the pieces are there. Its just a matter of getting me Paul and Robert back together again to finish it, but that may be easier said than done..
Warchild..