PDA

View Full Version : Question about scenery object bgl's

falcon409
October 19th, 2009, 06:53
I'm gonna post this here as well as the scenery forum, hoping someone here can answer before anyone even looks at the other forum.

I did a redo of the airport CSB3 and added hangars from the object library "Airport_Buildings", which I assumed was a default library installed with FSX. The individual I did the scenery for, after loading it (he runs FSX/SP2 but not Accel) says he doesn't see those hangars. So I figured I'd just zip up the bgl and the textures and send that to him to complete the scenery.

The Airport_Buildings_AP.bgl file is in the main Scenery/Global/scenery folder and I would have assumed the corresponding textures were in the texture folder, but I don't see them there. So to my question:

Is it possible that the bgl file contains the objects and their related textures?

MCDesigns
October 19th, 2009, 07:03
Ed, I just did a search in my FSX and I do not have that BGL, so I doubt it is default. If the install put it where you have it, chances are the person who made the objects used default textures.

falcon409
October 19th, 2009, 07:11
That figures, the one hangar that had a red roof (This airport is unique in that all the hangars have red roofs) and it's a renegade object with no way of finding the textures that go with it, lol. Back to the drawing board.

jdhaenens
October 19th, 2009, 07:23
Falcon, I believe Art Poole may be the author of that .bgl. It seems to me I found it after installing his Craig Municipal Airport.

Jim

Chris Sykes
October 19th, 2009, 07:34
IIRC for the objects to be inside the BGL you'd need to add the actual MDL files to the scenery xml file in the design program your using...

Obviously decompiling a bgl to obtain the MDL files can breach copyright...

Your best bet is to use the object but point the user to what scenery it is for them to download and then the object will show...

Marvin Carter
October 19th, 2009, 08:25
Make sure he has the same scenery density set that they where done in!!!

falcon409
October 19th, 2009, 08:55
. . . .Your best bet is to use the object but point the user to what scenery it is for them to download and then the object will show...
And therein lies the rub. . .I have always assumed this to be a default library, consequently I have no idea where it came from and as Jim suggested. . .I never downloaded that particular scenery package.

I'll find another hangar that will work and go with it. These worked pretty well because they had the red roofs I needed.
Thanks!

falcon409
October 19th, 2009, 09:03
Well, this is interesting. I found the Craig Airport file by Art Poole and in fact, it appears that everything for the airport buildings is contained in that bgl file. There are no textures supplied with the bgl and no mention of a requirement to have any other texture files available.

spotlope
October 19th, 2009, 09:40
If there are no textures included in the package and no mention of installing them from elsewhere, it's a pretty good bet he used the default textures. You might look in your FSX root "Texture" folder and see if you can spot the textures he used in there.

NoNewMessages
October 19th, 2009, 09:44
From what I can remember about Art's work, a lot of his objects utilize default textures. So if he made an object that uses an existing FSXA texture and the other user doesn't have that installed he won't show the object properly. But I would imagine he should show the object without textures, not that the object doesn't show at all?

JoeW
October 19th, 2009, 10:45
It sounds like thats a Acceleration library. I used some of them and got simular results. People without acceleration don't get them.

falcon409
October 19th, 2009, 12:29
Ok, I sent the bgl, he loaded it to the correct file folder and everything shows up as it should now, so it was using default textures.

Thanks guys!