PDA

View Full Version : Available Tomorrow: Flugplatz Doberitz

jdhaenens
October 18th, 2009, 16:16
This is another one of my historical airports. If NAS Pensacola is the birthplace of American Navy Aviation, Flugplatz Doberitz is the birthplace of German Military Aviation. It is argueably the birthplace of the Luftwaffe. In 1910, only a year after Johannesthal was established, the German Government established Doberitz for the sole purpose of developing pilots and tactics to take the airplane to war. It served as both a training site and defense site throughout world wars I and II. After WWII it was behind the "Iron Curtain" and served the Soviets in various capacities, but not as the historical place it held within German Military History. The airfield is recreated here as it appeared in the 1920's to late 1930's. Throughout WWII, Doberitz continued to grow, and was host to all manner of military aircraft. With alumni like Max Immelman and Manfred Von Richtofen, most if not all of the German Aces cycled through Doberitz at some time in their careers. Doberitz is now a nature park.

There is no photoreal anything associated with this airport as it is no more. All the info I got, I gleaned from the internet and the book: "Flugplatz Doberitz, Geburtsort der Militarischen Luftfahrt in Deutschland" by Kai Berman and Erhard Cielewicz. Dobritz is gone, but not forgotten.

I have uploaded it to Flightsim and Simviation.

Enjoy!

Jim

lucas81
October 18th, 2009, 16:43
Hey Jim!
Now this IS a nice choice! Congratulations on the relase.
BTW: I have a book about Berlin Johannisthall ;)

Lucas

Mathias
October 18th, 2009, 23:37
That's indeed excellent news!
Thanks a lot Jim, I'm looking eagerly forwards to flying from Döberitz.

jdhaenens
October 19th, 2009, 08:34
It's up at both Flightsim and Simviation.

Roger
October 19th, 2009, 08:53
Great stuff Jim:ernae:

huub vink
October 19th, 2009, 09:35
Thanks Jim! :applause: :applause: :applause:. Its available, so those who want it can get it

Huub

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/eddz.jpg

spotlope
October 19th, 2009, 09:44
Fascinating looking hangars, Jim. You seem to have an endless supply of interesting ideas for FS scenery. Keep it up! :ernae:

jdhaenens
October 19th, 2009, 11:13
Yeah, I'm a sucker for a unique hangar or building. I found these in some stuff Mathias posted a while back. The story that goes along with them is just serendipity.

Thanks!

Jim

Roger
October 19th, 2009, 12:28
Great scenery Jim:applause: but can you offer a suggestion for this problem?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/doberlitz.jpg

Mathias
October 19th, 2009, 12:31
Nice one, I like it!
Works fine on my clean install but I see the same as Roger on the rig that has UTX Europe installed. Suppose that's the culprit as all other sceneries that I have installed on this rig are outside Germany and everything else are weather/environment addons.

Roger
October 19th, 2009, 12:34
Nice one, I like it!
Works fine on my clean install but I see the same as Roger on the rig that has UTX Europe installed. Suppose that's the culprit as all other sceneries that I have installed on this rig are outside Germany and everything else are weather/environment addons.

Yep, I have UTX Europe installed.

jdhaenens
October 19th, 2009, 12:37
Here. Try this. It's an extra exclude for the main field Autogen.

Roger
October 19th, 2009, 13:17
Thanks Jim:ernae:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/EDDZ.jpg

jdhaenens
October 20th, 2009, 03:06
SO...UTX must also change the landclass/autogen relative priorities as well. No worries. A new file should show up on Flightsim and Simviation today which should fix the problem. It's more than the lone exclude above.

Enjoy!

Jim

Bjoern
October 20th, 2009, 10:33
Danke, Jim! :ernae:

Does this mean you're kind of into german airfields now? :engel016:
(What a bout a pre-1990s Peenemünde?)

Roger
October 20th, 2009, 10:53
Danke, Jim! :ernae:

Does this mean you're kind of into german airfields now? :engel016:
(What a bout a pre-1990s Peenemünde?)

Great idea:ernae:

Bjoern
October 20th, 2009, 10:59
Great idea:ernae:
But just to clarify: I'm talking about a 1989 version of Peenemünde. I want to see MiG-23s shooting into the sky, not Fw-190s and V-2s. ;)

Edit: Oh, and a bit of general language advice, guys: If you can't type an "ä", "ö" or "ü", just type an "ae", "oe" or "ue" rather than just an "a", "o" and "u". It's a generally accepted method for writing Umlaute if the standard way doesn't work.

jdhaenens
October 20th, 2009, 12:47
Ahhh...that's why there are entries with Doeberitz spelled that way.:redface: Thanks! :mixedsmi: ....er how about that upper case beta?

Jim

Bjoern
October 20th, 2009, 13:30
....er how about that upper case beta?

Make it a "ss". Best method for that letter.

By the way, Jim: Are you interested in some *Max objects, namely an eastern bloc style HAS, a concrete blast shield, elements for grass-covered splinter protection walls and some lights for the flightline?
I wanted to use them in a scenery but the models are putting up so many shenanigans lately in FSX that I don't want to continue work. Maybe your capable hands have some use for them before I flush them down into binary nirvana.

Roger
October 20th, 2009, 14:01
Or...

Alt 129 = ü
Alt 148 = ö
Alt 132 = ä
Alt 225 = ß

On a UK English keyboard at least:engel016:

jdhaenens
October 20th, 2009, 14:08
Sure, I'm game. Just send them to the email in the readme file (for any of my airports). I'll be sure to give credit where it's due. Never can tell when the urge may hit to do something with 'em and you can never have too many models. It will also give me an excuse to get off my behind and figure out Max materials.

Thanks!

Jim

Bjoern
October 20th, 2009, 16:18
Jim, you've got (e-)mail. :)

Oh, and I got the models working again in FSX. So I think ETNU will see the light of the day...someday...:d

Thread hijack over. ;)

Mathias
October 20th, 2009, 23:43
Sure, I'm game. Just send them to the email in the readme file (for any of my airports). I'll be sure to give credit where it's due. Never can tell when the urge may hit to do something with 'em and you can never have too many models. It will also give me an excuse to get off my behind and figure out Max materials.

Thanks!

Jim

Are you on Max, Jim?
If so I'd have three or four Luftwaffe airbase buildings to donate.

jdhaenens
October 21st, 2009, 05:29
I have 3ds Max 9. I'm in the process of learning it as we speak. I'm not sure I understand how to use the materials interface just yet. It looks to be quite different than GMAX. But as I said, I'm learning. I would be happy to accept your donation. Who knows? if we get enough objects together, another Scenery might drop from the skies :icon_lol:. I'm doing some exercises from the 3DS Max Bible as I can.

Jim