PDA

View Full Version : for my brit friends

Daveroo
October 18th, 2009, 08:56
whats the differance between a "quid" and a Pound? seems on tv on shows like wheeler dealer they use quid and pound as the same thing..is it?..and why in the world do yall call a front fender of a car a "wing" ?

stiz
October 18th, 2009, 08:57
whats the differance between a "quid" and a Pound? seems on tv on shows like wheeler dealer they use quid and pound as the same thing..is it?..and why in the world do yall call a front fender of a car a "wing" ?

yup, quid is the same as a pound, no idea on the 2nd not into cars :engel016:

Tako_Kichi
October 18th, 2009, 09:20
They are the same thing much like the US uses 'dollars' and 'bucks' interchangeably. 'Quid' like 'buck' is a slang term.

As to wings/fenders there are a lot of different naming conventions for the same parts on opposite sides of the pond. For instance:

UK - US
Wing - Fender
Bonnet - Hood
Boot - Trunk
Gearbox - Transmission
Gear lever - Stick shift
Fender (sometimes) - Bumper
Sill - Quarter panel

The same applies to many tools too:

UK - US
Spanner - Wrench
Mole grips - Vice grips
Adjustable spanner - Monkey wrench
Crow bar - Pry bar (or cat's paw sometimes)

sandar
October 18th, 2009, 11:35
Quid, is British informal slang for the pound. Its origins are thought to be from one of two sources.
Either from the Latin quid pro quo meaning "this for that" or from the French quibus meaning "wherewithal".

I could turn the fender question round and ask why the Americans call it a fender? A fender is either a part of a fireplace to stop coals etc from falling out out, a device for pushing things out of the way (like a cow catcher) or a nautical term for something to absorb impact.

I don't know the origin of the word 'wing' on a car. A wing, or fender, evolved from a simple mudguard over a carriage, or early car wheel,possibly the curved shape resembled a wing?? and the name stuck.

Mind you, I had a car once where the wings were so badly rusted they flapped more than a birds wing.