PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question: Why is no one making a payware DC-3 for FSX?

ManuelL
October 18th, 2009, 06:27
Hi all,

First of all-to avoid lots of comments: yes, I know the DC-2 from UIVER and I am looking forward to the FSX model very much!

However, as far as I know, no one is developing a native FSX DC-3 and I am wondering why this is so?
I always thought the DC-3 was a very popular FS plane. But after over 3 years of FSX there are 5+ different payware P-51 Mustangs, 3 or 4 different Piper Cubs uncountable Cessnas and Pipers, some very exotic aircraft I had never heard of before - and no DC-3.

If anyone has an idea, why this is so - I'd be interested in hearing it.

Thanks a lot.
Manuel

robcap
October 18th, 2009, 06:35
Maybe everybody feels it's MAAM-sim teritory :engel016:

IanP
October 18th, 2009, 06:36
"Because there's a default one and no-one would buy it." is the most commonly heard answer from developers.

There is, potentially, one under development, but I don't know how far off it is or if will ever be completed. I'm not the developer. ;)

empeck
October 18th, 2009, 07:26
I'd love to see a DC-3 with Accusim quality...

gajit
October 18th, 2009, 07:44
I'd love to see a DC-3 with Accusim quality...

Well said :applause:

Roger
October 18th, 2009, 07:51
I'd love to see one too!
But in the meanwhile this isn't too far away:engel016:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/dc2xrc-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/dc2xrc-2.jpg

Cactuskid
October 18th, 2009, 08:57
Even though there have been some improvements to the default DC-3, I agree that there is a need for a high quality FSX native DC-3 along the quality level of MAAM's FS9 version, or better. If not a payware version, how about a complete high definition re-work of the default DC-3 as was done with the Goose?

What I'd really like to see is a high quality Vietnam era AC-47 Dragon gunship! :jump:

cheezyflier
October 18th, 2009, 10:36
"Because there's a default one and no-one would buy it." is the most commonly heard answer from developers.

that's the same philosophy i had when carenado released the 172.
thay put out 2 separate versions and they still sold! that still surprises me.

Maybe everybody feels it's MAAM-sim teritory :engel016:

i wouldn't be holding my breath on that one
i would love to see someone tackle the dc-3, but i would like to see them do the traditional cockpit, an updated one, and a turbo conversion

empeck
October 18th, 2009, 10:44

There is a default Mustang in Acc, just slightly different, and it seems everyone is making another one :ernae:

IanP
October 18th, 2009, 11:15
There is a default Mustang in Acc, just slightly different, and it seems everyone is making another one :ernae:

...wags finger...

Donnnnn't. That's naughty. :kilroy:

Anyway, the Accel Mustang is nothing even vaguely like a WW2 Mustang, so that comparison really doesn't stand up anyway. It's a bit like saying "There's a DC-3 in the box, so we won't bother with a Basler Turbo conversion, which is a totally different aircraft based on the same airframe".

I think most people agree that there is plenty of sales potential for a good DC3 in FSX. If people really think that it is "MAAM-SIM's turf", as I've heard from a few people, then where's Jan when we need him? :d

(Apart from up to his neck in the Briefing Time update at the moment, that is...)

HighGround22
October 18th, 2009, 11:23
Well, I know the MAAM-Sim version is FS9, but with both the FSX upgrade, and the Acceleration patch, I find that it works just peachy in FSX-Accel. So-much so that I forget it's an FS9 bird until I read items like this.

What I like most about the MAAM-Sim aircraft are twofold:

- every version made is represented, including the various cargo carriers; and

- the level of detail is really impressive.

One example of the latter is the engine-start procedure. Lots of switch-flicking and lever pushing, while those with a more simple bent can still do a Ctrl/E.

One of my personal top-three aerodynes!

stansdds
October 19th, 2009, 02:00
MAAM is currently redoing both the B-25J and the DC-3/C-47 for FSX. As far as I know, the DC-3/C-47 is first on their list of FSX aircraft. I think both may be free upgrades for those who purchased the FS9 versions.

A new DC-3 for FSX would be great. The stock DC-3 fuselage is not shaped correctly and for some unexplained reason the developers decided the DC-3 should have engines that rotate in opposite directions ala P-38. And yes, even the blade pitch is set for this odd-ball configuration.

gera
October 19th, 2009, 07:45
Yes, a new DC-3 for FSX is indeed needed. No matter how many DC-3´s are freeware or otherwise that bird will be bought, am sure, by many........Question to you MAAN owners. Are there any "Textures" that can be used with the FSX version?...the FS9 ones that abound,sually "explode" here and there when used with this version...Thanks....flying the many army ones is getting quite boring and besides I need some commercial freighters......:kilroy:

IanP
October 19th, 2009, 07:58
There are a number of civilian repaints - both airliner and freight - for the FS9 MAAM-SIM aircraft, including several in the base pack plus a large number of repaints.

The "FSX" version at the moment is a port, not a native aircraft, and will take any FS9 repaints you wish to apply to it.

Marvin Carter
October 19th, 2009, 08:13
The MAAM dc3 works great in FSX with the up grades, its a portover, cant have your cake and eat it too.the passenger one has some prop hub probs. though for me.If you go to DC3 airways they have custum paints, panels and gauges for it to.http://www.dc3airways.com/. I use one of there paints with alittle mod for my oun use!!!

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss241/Marvin-56/DC3.jpg

crashaz
October 19th, 2009, 10:13
Go download the SDK and get working on the sample located in the modeling section.

Someone could convert that one soon enough.... lots of bright people here and lots of people willing to answer questions.
:wavey:

gera
October 19th, 2009, 12:55
There are a number of civilian repaints - both airliner and freight - for the FS9 MAAM-SIM aircraft, including several in the base pack plus a large number of repaints.

The "FSX" version at the moment is a port, not a native aircraft, and will take any FS9 repaints you wish to apply to it.

The ones I have tried come out with transparent areas and so far not one has worked correctly.......I´ll toss a coin before downloading one the next time...:icon_lol:

IanP
October 19th, 2009, 13:12
Yes. You might need to ensure that the replacement files from the FSX compatibility upgrade are copied into the repaint as well. Or do what I have done with Briefing Time and keep only the external (and internal if they change) texture files in the repaint folder, then copy the texture.cfg file from a default aircraft and put it in the repaint folder as well, telling the package to look at the default texture folder for all the other textures (thus including the FSX compatible windows, props, etc.)

Does that make sense?

bkeske
October 19th, 2009, 13:48
As mentioned above by Stansdds, I also believe MAAM is working on a brand new FSX model.

That said, I still enjoy the FS9 version in FSX.

Marvin Carter
October 19th, 2009, 14:00
You will need to do this to fill in the holes in floor and fuselage. Its a4d_navcomplating.bmp in texture folder!!!

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss241/Marvin-56/123.jpg

gera
October 19th, 2009, 16:20
Yes. You might need to ensure that the replacement files from the FSX compatibility upgrade are copied into the repaint as well. Or do what I have done with Briefing Time and keep only the external (and internal if they change) texture files in the repaint folder, then copy the texture.cfg file from a default aircraft and put it in the repaint folder as well, telling the package to look at the default texture folder for all the other textures (thus including the FSX compatible windows, props, etc.)

Does that make sense?

It sure does!!!!! I'll try tonight, there are so many wonderful ones that I would like to have them work right.......Thanks.