PDA

View Full Version : TripleHead2Go 2D Panel Fix for FSX

DB93
October 16th, 2009, 21:01
Hi everyone.

I run a TH2G Digital, and whenever I tried to display the main 2D panel on any aircraft, I'd just get a massive slowdown, the cursor kept on changing to the 'waiting' spinning circle, and just a black box stretched acoss the bottom of my screen. It made the game unplayable, causing me to have to save, exit, and restart the game and reload the flight. I've found a workaround that has worked well for me, and earlier tonight, I was over on the widescreengaming forums and found others with the same issue. I posted my workaround there, and it helped at least one person, so figured I'd share it here too, in case it could help some other folks.

Basically, you will need to edit the panel.cfg of each aircraft you need to fix. Remember to make a backup of any panel.cfg file before editing it, so you'll have the original to fall back to in case you encounter any unexpected problems.

1.) Open the panel.cfg file for the aircraft you are trying to fix.

2.) Scroll down to the [window00] section. (This is *usually* the main panel window.)

3.) Change only the first value from the following line, leaving the second value at whatever its default value is (in this example, you wouldn't change the 0.874 value):

window_size= 1.000, 0.874

to:

window_size= 0.333, 0.874

If the window_size= entry does not exist, add it to the section as follows:

window_size=0.333, 1.000

4.) Save the file and start up a flight in FSX with the aircraft you were trying to fix, and bring up the main panel to make sure this has fixed your issue.

5.) Repeat steps 1-4 until you've fixed each aircraft (at least the ones you use regularly, that's what I did. :P)

You can also use the window_size changes listed on step 3 for any other panel windows that don't open properly, just find the proper [windowXX] section for the panel window you're having an issue with, and follow step 3 for making the changes.

NOTES:
The only issue I've encountered with this 'fix' is that on some (but not all) of the default aircraft, it does 'squeeze' the main VC window upwards when the main panel is displayed. Aircraft like the default Beech Baron display this 'squeezing' behavior, while others like the Aircreation ultralight (the hang-glider with the mower on the back lol) do not display this behavior. In any case, I don't see why the VC window couldn't just be stretched (resized by dragging) down once you've got the panel window displayed, but I honestly haven't tried that, as I only use the 2D panel windows for quick pop-up references to check gauges that are a bit small to read in the vc. Once you close the panel, the vc window does go back to normal size anyway.

Also, none of the 3rd party, FSX-native aircraft I've done this with have shown the VC being squeezed upwards when the main panel is displayed. I've used it on the Aerosoft Twin Otter, and Lionheart's Quest Kodiak for payware, and a number of freeware stuff including Dave Garwood's excellent freeware Auster J1 Autocrat (shameless plug for a great old-time low and slow aircraft).

Anyhow, I hope this helps at least some folks that are running TH2G that have issues with the 2D panels.

Good luck, and hope this info is helpful to at least a few of you folks having problems.

harleyman
October 17th, 2009, 00:50
Thanks for that...Good to have a work around..

You might want to post the issue in the general forum too, cause we have several members using this and may know how to resolve the problem completely, as opposed to a work around for each config ...

DB93
October 17th, 2009, 05:42
Good idea, thanks, harleyman. I'm going to post a link back to this thread in the general forum. :)

DB93
October 18th, 2009, 08:25
Hi again everyone.

John Bentley, over at the Widescreen Gaming Forums (WSGF) has taken the fix a bit further, providing additional information about positioning and sizing panel windows so that everything looks 'just right' for anyone's personal tastes. I think it's also worth a read.

Link: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169025#169025

Enjoy!

-George

DB93
December 19th, 2009, 10:51
Hi all,

I've edited the panel.cfg files for all the default fsx aircraft to make them compatible with triple-wide screen resolutions for users of TH2G and ATI EyeFinity. This should fix the issue of the main panel not appearing and causing the 'wait' cursor to come up. All other panel windows have also been resized and repositioned to try and take maximum advantage of the triple wide resolutions.

Be sure to back up the existing panel.cfg files for all your default aircraft, as well as MiniPanel.cfg in your Gauges folder, before overwriting them with the ones from the .zip, so you have those to fall back to in case you encounter any problems. These updated panels are only for users running triple-wide configurations (such as TH2G and ATI EyeFinity). They are NOT recommended, and should not be used for people running a single or dual monitor configuration.

The filename is fsx-triplewide-panels_defaultac.zip, and it has been uploaded here to SOH today, and should be available for download in the next day or so. It has also been posted to avsim and flightsim.com and is already up for download at those sites.

I hope this helps users who fly triple-monitor configurations with their 2d panels, and Happy Holidays to all. :)

-George

DB93
January 12th, 2010, 10:44
Hi all,

It's come to my attention that there's a bug in my triple-wide panels package for the panel for the default Baron 58. If you're encountering a problem with the 2d panels on this aircraft after installing my updated panels package, then follow the steps below to fix the problem.

1) In your Baron58's 'panel' folder, rename the 'panel.cfg' file to 'panel.bad'.

2) Download the attached text file to your Baron58's panel folder.

3) Rename the downloaded text file to 'panel.cfg'.

That should fix the issue with the Baron58's 2d panels that was introduced with my panel fixes package for triple-wide users.

Please let me know if you still have any issues with this aircraft (or any of the other defaults) while using my panel updates along with this fix.

Hope this helps those of you that were encountering problems.
-George