PDA

View Full Version : Gibraltar texture issue

PSULLYKEYS
October 16th, 2009, 18:08
:isadizzy: I get a CTD when I try and copy the Scenedb/world/texture file and place it in the main texture folder ONLY when I fly in the "new Gibraltar area.

I'm using a Frankenstein monster texture set of Pactex, Western Europe and Egypt's Med water.

Wasn't there an issue way back when about the Pactex with Malta? (However Malta works OK!!)

Any suggestions? (I prefer the "pink" Pactex desert textures)

Rami
October 16th, 2009, 18:16
I remember that using PacTex on Malta, there were seven? texture bitmaps that needed to be reformatted using Martin Wright's DXTbmp utility. However, I'll be dammed as to what the specific bitmaps were, and the settings (DXT 1, DXT3...) that they needed to be changed to. :isadizzy:

CrisGer
October 16th, 2009, 20:37
P, i would be interested to see Egypt's Med water in operation. Do you have a screenie? I see it is in the library here and just grabbed a copy.

Jean Bomber
October 17th, 2009, 05:51
Hi PSULLYKEYS
"
:isadizzy: I get a CTD when I try and copy the Scenedb/world/texture file and place it in the main texture folder ONLY when I fly in the "new Gibraltar area.
"
In first excuse me .....
I've forgotten to credit you in the Afnor readme ...:kilroy:... cause I've used in the sceneries a vtp1 line from yours alternate textures set eur_rrs_1.zip or eurwrrs_tex.zip ,don't remember from which folder , it's a vrbanksu.bmp (in Gibraltar(40)43\texture folders ),here attached .
I don't think it's the reason of the ctd cause I've used it in some others place in the scenery (the bmp is also in Afnor_bases\texture or Afnor_scen\texture folders)......
I hope this will help...

JP

kdriver
October 17th, 2009, 06:20
Hi Jean Bomber and PSULLYKEYS,

Thankyou Jean for the fabulous Gibraltar scenery.

I am also getting CTDs. I've narrowed it down to the the Afnor Scenery folder (the land and water class files). If I deactivate this scenery layer the remainder of the Gibraltar scenery works well. I had the same problem with Malta and had to omit a few of the landclass files.

I have Sander's EurW scenery, so my textures are in both the EurW Landclass folder and the main TEXTURE folder.

Could this be a video card problem or lack of computing power? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin

Jean Bomber
October 17th, 2009, 06:59
.....I am also getting CTDs. I've narrowed it down to the the Afnor Scenery folder (the land and water class files). If I deactivate this scenery layer the remainder of the Gibraltar scenery works well. I had the same problem with Malta and had to omit a few of the landclass files.

I have Sander's EurW scenery, so my textures are in both the EurW Landclass folder and the main TEXTURE folder.

Could this be a video card problem or lack of computing power? Any suggestions?....

What is the scenery layer you disactive Afnor_Bases or Afnor_Scen ?
And perhaps we could look for which bgl file or bmp ,in the ...Afnor_xxxx\scenery ...\texture could cause the ctd.
I don't think it's video card problem I use a basic laptop with a basic VC and my C\projet folder where there are all the sceneries stuff is a Frankenstein monster Gas factory with thousands tubes...
That's why, the weeks before the upload ,I've took care to test the entire scenery from ,that's will be the SOHzip, in a new virgin cfs2 install to try to not forget any file to prevent any bug ,I think I've hit the target the scenery seems easy to install but in some cases due from any reason there is some conflict :isadizzy:
I'm Interested about all the feedbacks ,don't be worried to post your issues about this scenery http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif

JP

Rami
October 17th, 2009, 07:23
Jean Bomber,

This is confusing, because have a setup that uses Sander's textures combined with the water files you included with the Afnor pack...and I have not had any problems whatsoever with CTDs.

I have a NIVIDIA GeForce 6600 series card.

PSULLYKEYS
October 17th, 2009, 07:37
JB: no problem, its freeware and I'm honored you used it for such a great project!

CrisGer: attached.

KDriver: I'll try that route, thanks. I'm figuring it must be some kind of texture reading problem, but which ones?

:running:

Jean Bomber
October 17th, 2009, 08:32
Perhaps something that could make conflict :
from the zip ,in the ...Afnor_scenery_Part I\gsl\layout forlder there is two layout file that have almost the same name :
Gibraltar aerodrome 1943.lay (07182009 modified) and
Gibraltar aerodrome 1943 .lay (08182009 modified)
,note the space at the end of the name in the last ....that was not wanted....it's a mistake
They are are good but different and the last is the good version and the use of the both in same time and area could surely cause some weird effects :pop4: ,move or rename the Gibraltar aerodrome 1943.lay (07182009) version , that could be an other start point for a new layout...and keep the last version .

perhaps a way

JP

kdriver
October 17th, 2009, 09:28
Jean,

Thanks for the suggestions.

The folder is the Afnor_scen folder - the one with the landclass and waterclass files. So far I have not been able to narrow it down to a particular BGL. When I remove all but one BGL file from the folder, I still get the CTD. This has happened for each different single BGL I have left in the scenery folder. I've tested about half the BGLs so far.

I don't think it has anything to do with the layout and GSL files for Gibraltar, because when I go to your new scenery for Oran, Algeria, which is a long way from Gibraltar, I have the same problem.

The one thing which is different from Rami's and your installation is the textures: I am using SCW_Spain_Terrain textures by Captain Kurt. These are a mixture of selected files from Stiz's European scenery textures and Richard Ludowise's CFS2 Fall scenery textures. Perhaps the landclass files don't like these. I'll try substituting them with Sander's ones and see what happens.

KD

CrisGer
October 17th, 2009, 10:12
Psullykeys thanks for those great pics. Are you using Rhumba's files? i see shorelines on some of that land ...which is why i wondered... i am hoping to add Rhumbas new files but dont want to lose my shorelines. and btw, i just clicked on your sig pic of that beautiful ship and found your work on ships for CFS2... where have i been? i love naval aspect. I am going to have to try those out! wow. An S Boot too! and a Gato! are there missions for them yet ?

PSULLYKEYS
October 17th, 2009, 17:41
I removed the land and water class BGLs and get some small areas OK but now Big blocks of texture...the masks are gone...Oh well

Chris Ger - yes some missions included, however I will have to revisit the Sboat missions, one I believe will run you aground with Rhumbas new coastlines.

I stopped with the vessels because I have not found a way to make a player vessel destroyable. That and real life busy for a while...

Try the Samuel B Roberts, she has broadside firing capability.

Bon Voyage.....

CrisGer
October 17th, 2009, 17:44
wow what fun!

i cant wait. I have been a naval wargamer for 40 yrs...and have not had time to explore digital versions much, other than some of the ships in FS2004, FX and the Silent hunter series and an old mod project called Iron seas for Destroyer Command i am helping with. It will be very nice to see these ships.

I am going to try Coast Line Maker to update Rhumba's shorelines and put back the beaches and surf.

dvslats
October 18th, 2009, 01:30
Hello All,
The CTD's involved with some Pactex .bmp's are caused by improper format save. The only way of finding the offending .bmp's that I know of is by hovering your mouse pointer over the texture. Then one should see the descriptive balloon pop up. Properly formatted .bmp's are always 86.4 KB in size. If it is more or less (usually less) those are the ones that need to be fixed. See the picture.
There is no need to check the blending textures (vertical lines). Landclass and Waterclass only.
To correct the bmp's you will only need MS paint and the Microsoft Image Tool from their SDK. Open the bad ones in MS Paint, then save as a 24 bit .bmp.
Image tool is needed to save again after you add MipMaps and format to 8 bit. Using Martin's Dxt.bmp is only needed if Alphas are involved.
Would have replied the fix to this thread sooner but the cold/flu season has descended upon my household. :icon33:
Dave

Jean Bomber
October 18th, 2009, 03:56
Hi all

There is an another mistake in the ...Afnor_sceneries\Afnor_Scen\scenery
But we could called it as "surprise scenery" or "bonus" but it was not volontary ....
It's about the five N37E09 bgls they should not be already here.....
It's the begining of the part 3 ,the Bizerte area ,not completed,Dombral has already begun a gsl and i must do the airfields.... ,but normally the scenery should work in this state with lakes roads coastlines you will have a part of Tunisie ,the rest is in working.....

To test what is wrong you could remove the bgls by group as :
Straight spanish side
GB_LC_046_018.bgl
GB_LC_046_019.bgl
GB_WC_046_019.bgl landclass values
All the
N36W06.bgls are the water masks polys and lines

Straight Morocco side
TC_LC_046_019.bgl
TC_WC_046_019.bgl landclass values
All the
n35w6TC.bgls are the water masks polys and
lines

Oran
OR_LC_047_019.bgl
OR_WC_047_019.bgl
OR_WC_047_019.bgl landclass values
All the
N35W001.bgls are the water masks polys and
lines

I hope that will help

JP

kdriver
October 18th, 2009, 04:59
Thankyou, thankyou DVSLATS,

You have solved a problem with my Med install which has been annoying me for years. I found seven textures which were only 86.3 KB. I fixed them and what a difference!

Jean Bomber your scenery is truly magnifique!

A couple of texture related questions:

What do the "b" and the "h" stand for in the texture nomenclature? e.g. 005b2su1, 005h2su1;

Which are the most "Mediterranean" looking urban textures? The ones I am using look like urban southern California - the colours look right for the Med but the streets are too wide and planned looking, including cul-de-sacs and backyard swimming pools.

Thanks again,

Kevin

PSULLYKEYS
October 18th, 2009, 15:17
JB: Truly magnificent job! Thank you for all your hard work!:ernae:

dvs: That did the job! I found 15 bmps that gummed up the works.

ChrisG: Sounds like a huge undertaking, all the coastlines, the only program that seemed to work was sDcs. I hope it works.

All: Pix using Egypt's water and pactex. Gotta add some objects I've neglected over the years...:running:

Thanks all for your help!:guinness:

Rami
October 18th, 2009, 16:30
Psully,

That's what I thought it was...like I said last night, I just forgot the specifics.

Thank you, Dvslats, for knowing what I was talking about! :ernae:

egypt23spitfire
October 19th, 2009, 02:10
...........thanks dvslats for advice on size
.................(size really is important)

knew it long time ago but forgotten:isadizzy:

again this tip should sit at the top of the list of scenery tips matey:ernae::ernae:

........(will reformat my water textures and repost)

Jean Bomber
October 19th, 2009, 04:52
Yeah
Thanks Dvslats for the debug PSULLYKEYS and kdriver for the feedbacks
I'm happy to see the diverse colors of the scenery using different texture set in the pics .:ernae:
The water class values will be updated cause in some place there is some issues in take off landing sailing there is a glue effect http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon10.gif in some lod 13 the water is recognize as land ....this will be the next upgrade .
I hope to upgrade the scenery regulary here joint the landclass bgl for the hidden scenery that will look better.

JP

CrisGer
October 19th, 2009, 05:11
Wonderful work guys.

Do we need to to fix anything to get things to work with Jean's original install or was it just texture problems?

Jean i was not sure what that bgl was for you just posted...sorry for my slowness...

and what about the aerodrome file name issue.do we need to fix that to have this run?

Gibraltar aerodrome 1943.lay (07182009 modified) and
Gibraltar aerodrome 1943 .lay (08182009 modified)

Those textures look wonderful Psully... i like that combo of Pac Tex and Egypt's great water... thanks to all for all the work on this. It will be wonderful to have these improvments in the Med as i really hoped to see that area.

PSULLYKEYS
October 19th, 2009, 07:01
JB: Thanks, I had difficulty sailing into the harbor at Mers el kebir, I ran aground twice! But I was in shallow water.:icon_lol:

I'll dust off my Med MB and see if I can come up with some wartime cruises for you fellow ship nuts.

Time to revisit the "player ship" stuff again... and finish my trawler, if I can get FSDS back under my thumb again.:isadizzy:

Like the only rooster in the 200 hen henhouse..... so much work, so little time!:running:

CrisGer
October 19th, 2009, 07:43
Anchors Aweigh! Full Steam Ahead Skipper!

cheering you on from dockside :applause:

Jean Bomber
October 19th, 2009, 12:17
Hi CG
Don't worry about the bgls....
"Gibraltar aerodrome 1943.lay (07182009 modified) and
Gibraltar aerodrome 1943 .lay (08182009 modified) "
Are only the lay files that we could be add in the MB to make missions ,the space in the name of the last could be a cause of confusions if we put the both lay in the scenery ,cause the second is a evolution of the first,many of the object will be twinned they are almost the same but the last "08182009 modified" is the official http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon10.gif.

"JB: Thanks, I had difficulty sailing into the harbor at Mers el kebir, I ran aground twice! But I was in shallow water.:icon_lol:"

PSULLYKEYS
It's precisaly one of the most important place where I've to do some changes :173go1:
I will do sooner

JP

CrisGer
October 19th, 2009, 12:36
Merci Beaucoup Jean, je vais aller de l'avant et je vous remercie beaucoup.

Much appreciated.