PDA

View Full Version : can you add a GPS to an aircraft that doesn't have one.

the soupdragon
October 16th, 2009, 12:49
I have created a flying tour of New Zealand and as I have fallen in love with the FCS Hawker Fury I want to fly some (read most) of the legs in her, but my navigation skills are not up to much so I would like to add a GPS system to her so I can fly with a bit of confidence that I will actually arrive where I planned too,
How can I do this?

Cheers
SD

dhazelgrove
October 16th, 2009, 12:58
Take a look in the panel.cfg file of one of your default aircraft (B737, for example) and you'll see how it's done.

Dave

the soupdragon
October 16th, 2009, 13:12
Thanks mate. I was looking in the aircraft.cfg file :ernae:

SD

anthony31
October 16th, 2009, 17:23
Here are two excerpts from the C172 panel.cfg.

To add a GPS you need to add a WindowNN=GPS line in the Window Titles section. Notice how the C172 uses the line "Window02=GPS" to call the GPS. Change the NN to an appropriate number (note that only numbers 00 to 09 will display when press shift+number key). (you did make a copy of the original file first?)

Then copy and paste the whole [Window02] section into the panel.cfg file (preferably in the right order) and change the 02 to the same number you used in [Window Titles]. The GPS should now pop up when you press the appropriate key combo. This section defines how the GPS will display as well as calling the gauge itself.

[Window Titles]
Window00=Main Panel
Window01=Radio Stack
Window02=GPS
Window03=IFR Panel
Window04=Landing View
Window05=Mini Panel

[Window02]
size_mm=456,378
window_size=0.5
position=8
BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
VISIBLE=0
ident=GPS_PANEL
zorder=4
gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0

RAS_JF
October 19th, 2009, 00:30
Hi,

I made a little tool a while back that will do it automatically for you (in FS2004 at least, haven't tested it in FSX but it will probably still work).

Download (http://updates.justflight.info/jf/Misc/GPS_anywhere.exe)