PDA

View Full Version : NDB Navigation info

Willy
October 15th, 2009, 20:19
Just got through mucking about over London online and in the discussion there it seems that not everyone is on the same page when it comes to NDB navigation.

A website I heartily recommend is http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/

It'll tell you things that you never suspected about methods of navigation in the FS world.

Also there seems to be some confusion about the NDB codes and ranges. Here's how I've got it down:

HH = High High range 112 nm
H = High range 75 nm
MH = Medium High range 37.5 nm
CL = Compass Locator 22nm

There will be a test on this info commencing 20 October ;)

Milton Shupe
October 15th, 2009, 20:41
Back in 1999 with FS98, I stumbled upon this site and I learned to fly and navigate all the same time with FS98. I went through the Instruction series as well, getting my PPL, Commercial, Instrument, and ATP licenses. This improved my understanding and flying ability immensely. Once I got FSNav, it really sealed all the instrument training as you could see in motion and on the moving maps where NDB and VOR's were and how the gauges reacted. Great stuff.

buzzbee
October 19th, 2009, 19:19
That is a great sight. It really helped me get a handle real world on navigation.

Spookster67
October 19th, 2009, 21:34
Also there seems to be some confusion about the NDB codes and ranges. Here's how I've got it down:

HH = High High range 112 nm
H = High range 75 nm
MH = Medium High range 37.5 nm
CL = Compass Locator 22nm

I knew there were long range NDBs (for enroute navigation) and short range NDBs (near airports, for approach procedures, normally aligned with runways), but I didn't know there were 4 varieties.

From looking at a chart and seeing the ident code and frequency, how do you then tell which is which type? For example there are two at Ostende, just in France across the channel from the UK, which are DD (352.5) and ONO (399.5). At least one of those must be a short range approach NDB, but how do I know which is the long range one? :confused:

Willy
October 19th, 2009, 22:36
From looking at a chart and seeing the ident code and frequency, how do you then tell which is which type? For example there are two at Ostende, just in France across the channel from the UK, which are DD (352.5) and ONO (399.5). At least one of those must be a short range approach NDB, but how do I know which is the long range one? :confused:

Taking your example of EBOS Ostende which is probably the one airport in continental Europe that I'm most familiar with (lived just up the coast from there for two years) and I fly regularly to in FS works well for this. To start with EBOS has 3 NDB beacons, DD, OO and ONO.

Go to map view either in the flight planner or using the map icon on the aircraft's panel at the airport. I've taken three screenshots of Ostende showing all three NDBs. Run the cursor over the beacon and this little info box appears. In it is the range code for that NDB. For Ostende, DD and OO are MH ranged. ONO is H ranged. This will work for all navigational beacons, NDB, VOR and DME.

BTW, Ostende is in Belgium. ;)

Spookster67
October 20th, 2009, 10:37
Go to map view either in the flight planner or using the map icon on the aircraft's panel at the airport. I've taken three screenshots of Ostende showing all three NDBs. Run the cursor over the beacon and this little info box appears. In it is the range code for that NDB. For Ostende, DD and OO are MH ranged. ONO is H ranged. This will work for all navigational beacons, NDB, VOR and DME.
Ahhhhh, I've never noticed that before. Well that's useful, thanks!

BTW, Ostende is in Belgium. ;)
I knew that (the B in EBOS is a clue as well!), but I guess it was early when I made my post this morning. Coffee hadn't kicked in....:isadizzy:

Thanks for your help Willy.

p.s. which software is it that puts the location and altitude stamp on your screenshots? It's very useful.

epwatson
October 20th, 2009, 10:44
p.s. which software is it that puts the location and altitude stamp on your screenshots? It's very useful.

It is called snapper.

http://www.ovosoft.net/snapper/

Hope it helps.. :)

Willy
October 20th, 2009, 11:05
Thanks epwatson! I didn't have a clue where I'd got it from and I'd have just had to have suggested googling for it.

You can turn that labeling on and off.

Spookster67
October 20th, 2009, 13:48
Thanks guys, I think I'll go and get that. Of course while flying my Golden Age entry I won't be looking at the pictures until after I've landed... :d