PDA

View Full Version : Puss Moth-Melrose Version Feedback

Milton Shupe
October 15th, 2009, 10:20
Please post any feedback you have here and we will get them corrected ASAP.

Moderators: we can delete this thread later to keep this forum pertinent to the AWR threads.

Thanks

Dangerousdave26
October 15th, 2009, 15:57
Do not view anything I am about to write as criticism. It is all just Observations.

I find only one thing strange/possibly wrong but it is growing on me and I think I like it.

When you start up the Puss Moth she shakes like the ignition timing is off while the plane is idling. At first I thought it just a problem in the model but the more I look at it this may be how it really ran at idle. How would I know. It does seem to give it some character. It would not bother me if the final release has this still firmly in place.

These are more along the lines of configuration settings that you will want to check even after Melrose Release.

The Autopilot section in the aircraft.cfg is the same as a C172. If you are going to use a period Sperry Auto pilot copy the section from the DC3. If you are using the Lear 45 type Otto then this section will be fine. Check the Melrose release version when it comes out to confirm it is still the same settings in the C172.

The panel has a Mini Panel. It uses the default Comet gauges. Mover the Default comet gauges to your gauge folder. The file name is DeHavilland_Comet.cab

The Mini Panel Gauges are set up wrong the are the size of the head of a pin on the screen. They can not be seen. This does not bother me as I never use a mini panel. I deleted this section. You may want to fix the gauges if the final release still have it wrong. I did not think about fixing it before I deleted it. I may still do that.

The default Fuel and Payload set up for the Melrose version which is

170 lbs Pilot
150 lbs Co-Pilot
20 lbs Baggage
100% Fuel

Which = 514 lbs over weight.

That extra weight is not an issue you can take off and climb with it. However you are more than likely going to want to plan your fuel use and carry what you need.

It takes dropping the fuel percentage down to 47% to get 6 lbs over weight.

Range on a full tank is far. Heck range on 47% is far but its still slow. :icon_lol:

Model wise this is everything we have come to expect from Mr. Shupe and his Team. Keep up the good work.

//--------------------------------------------

Here is the fix for the Mini panel.

The problem may not be in the release version.

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window04]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=828,150
position=7
visible=1
ident=MINIPANEL
child_3d=1

gauge00=DeHavilland_Comet!ASI, 9,11,120,120
gauge01=DeHavilland_Comet!Turn_Slip, 141,11,120,120
gauge02=DeHavilland_Comet!AHI, 288,11,120,120
gauge03=DeHavilland_Comet!Gyro_Compass, 433,3,110,160
gauge04=DeHavilland_Comet!Altimeter, 569,10,120,130
gauge05=DeHavilland_Comet!VSI, 705,10,120,120

Milton Shupe
October 15th, 2009, 17:36
Thank you Dave for the detailed and helpful feedback.

Interestingly, I do not get the shaking at idle. :( Wish I did.

The AP section I suspect was plugged in by AirWrench which I think Tom used to generate the initial FM. Since the aircraft has no AP with the release, it will be up to the user to adjust to his desires. Thanks for the recommendations.

The mini-panel I do not use either but I did notice that I did not see one. Great observation and thank you for the corrected entries. I will use them. :)

The aircraft.cfg has multiple fuel tankage options. I am making the 160 gallon the default for the race as that is what we found to be carried by Melrose for the race. The 512 lbs over was correct plus or minus. You may reduce fuel for the leg or change to a different tank setup in the aircraft.cfg for the shorter routes. The SFC is setup to consume 7 gallons per hour per the Gypsy Major specs. However, Tom says this: "At 75% power cruise I would expect 9 gal/hr out of this engine, and about 7 gph at 60-65% power."

I did take out the passenger weight of 150.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help us out here.

I am packaging up a beta now and will post it likely in the next hour.

Willy
October 15th, 2009, 17:45
Milton, I get the shaking too. Maybe too much cam in the engine?

Milton Shupe
October 15th, 2009, 18:26
LOL Willy ... actually the version you are using has the Cub engine start effect and maybe that is the cause.

I am uploading now so give me a few minutes here.

BTW, I worked on the startup smoke a bit, got it about where I want it but I still get some smoke above the engine and in front that I find typical of many of these effects. If anyone wants to tweak it for something better, I would gladly include it along with your name in the credits.

This release I still call a beta because I found an minor issue with the wing fold awhile ago but not worth holding up your testing.

I will post the link when it is ready .... like really soon ... LOL

Download is ready here: dh.80a (http://www.flightsimonline.com/mas/dh80am_beta.zip)

Please remember to provide feedback.

Thanks

Dangerousdave26
October 15th, 2009, 18:29
Here are a few things I have found with the aircraft in FSX Acceleration.

The shaking at idle is gone or non existent.

The prop wash or blur is wrong it needs more alpha to be more transparent.

Screen Shots 1 to 3 are how it looks with the current alpha channel

Screen Shots 4 and 5 are my edit of the alpha channel

It is better but needs tightened up.

I will try and have it complete here quickly.

I know the model is not really FSX but right now it works with no trouble. A simple prop fix and members with FSX will be able to run it with out any trouble.

Milton Shupe
October 15th, 2009, 18:39
Yes, I have also been testing in FSX although it is built for FS9 only, I would like to make it FSX friendly. There is not an FSX prop mesh included.

The version I just uploaded has 3 prop meshes, one light version may be passable for FSX.

Banana Bob did a c172 prop recently that works well with it.

The download is ready ... see my earlier post.

Dangerousdave26
October 15th, 2009, 18:53
Well I just proved I am no Banana Bob :icon_lol:

It was better but still needed work.

Alright now to test the next release.

Highmike
October 16th, 2009, 02:40
Beautifully modelled and painted, a perfect example of how freeware can occupy a niche in the community. Trims nicely, but requires constant supervision in any more than a few knots of unsettled weather. It's a long way to Melbourne in a bird like this at about 80 knots GS, and it is a tribute to the pioneering spirit of those who took part in the race in 1934. Climbs slowly and probably copes with the weather better at low altitudes. Plenty of fuel in her, so she'll go longer than most of us have time to push her - 15 hours on the basis of a 2.33 hour flight.

I was concerned with the prop textures before I installed it into FSX, but they work fine and look good. FSX seems to like it.

Nice work Milton, and Co!

Bry Rosier
October 16th, 2009, 04:23
She certainly is a beauty :jump: Flies like a dream . Also using FSX and no problems at all . I really like the FQI`s (fuel quantity) on the wings in VC cockpit , I do find , like Dave , the prop in VC mode a little hard on the old eyes after a while , but Fantastic work Milton and team :ernae:

txnetcop
October 16th, 2009, 04:49
Milton it is all I have come to expect from you and your team. What an awesome bird she is. When I first got into it and started it up it just had a great feel to it. I have really good force feedback stick so the realism comes through very well. Extremely impressive
Thank you
Ted

BTW I tried to find something wrong and could not find anything really. I was hoping for better props for FSX but that was all and you sent three so I will try them.

FlyTexas
October 16th, 2009, 05:53
Just flew the Puss Moth for the first time in FS2004. What a beautiful aircraft! Thanks Uncle Miltie! :ernae: First off I'm flying her (with the default Puss Moth settings) using the default FS2004 scenery with no joystick. I too noticed the tailwheel hopping around. It wasn't like those big kangaroo bounces you see when the contact points need adjusting...more like a gentle "chatter". I then switched from the 1300 mile fuel capacity to the 700 mile capacity. Viola, the tailwheel "chatter" disappeared. :jump: That's it for now.

Brian

Milton Shupe
October 16th, 2009, 06:08
Thanks for the feedback. Unless you plan to fly for 13 hours straight without stops, I would suggest changing your default tank setup to 570 or 700 mile tanks, or run your large tanks at an appropriate 40-50% full that gives you about 650-750 mile range. I guess the extra weight is stressing the standard suspension parameters. :)

Regarding the prop in FSX VC, we didn't provide an FSX prop as this is an FS9 project. Maybe we can come up with something before the race.

Spookster67
October 16th, 2009, 10:46
Not had a chance to fly it for very long, but it seems very nice, well done. :applause:

I ran some speed tests with it, with these results (in FS2004).

85 ktas @ 12000
95.5 @ 9000
99.5 @ 7000
103.5 @ 5000
105 @ 4000
106.5 @ 3000
108 @ 2000
109.5 @ 1000

Milton Shupe
October 16th, 2009, 12:03
Thanks for those test results. They look to be right on.

Milton Shupe
October 16th, 2009, 19:57
I also found and corrected a panel.cfg issue at the bottom of the file; change to the following:

[Default View]
X=0
Y=0
SIZE_X=8192
SIZE_Y=6144

And, the comm radio will work if you change the Radios section in the aircraft.cfg to remove the standby like so:

Com.1=1, 0

Thanks

I will try to upload the official release full package (4 paint schemes including the Melrose version) Saturday.

jkcook28
October 17th, 2009, 14:26
Superb work as usual Milton!
Found a thing that needs attention while talking with DangerousDave today about some really long flights that may exceed daylight.
VC light placement is much too far back in the cockpit.
I did a quick tinker of the VC light line and got the panel lit, but needs some tweaking from someone who actually knows what they are doing!:d

the quick fix:
[lights]

//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing

light.0 = 3, -1.88, -18.11, 1.90, fx_navred
light.1 = 3, -1.88, 18.11, 1.90, fx_navgre
light.2 = 4, -1.0, 0.00, 0.37, fx_vclight_dh80 <----new
//light.2 = 4, -2.27, 0.00, -1.0, fx_vclight_dh80

Nice flier too!!:applause:

Milton Shupe
October 17th, 2009, 14:58
Yes, the light was hidden back there and de-illuminated a bit to just produce a soft glow. That was farther than I should have gone since we have no battery or generator. :-)

But, if you can imagine a virtual source, putting the light up and forward a bit should get you out of the trouble you're in flying VFR at night. :bump: