PDA

View Full Version : When scenery.cfg goes south!!

jimjones
October 14th, 2009, 23:58
When scenery.cfg goes south, the FSX OldScenry.cfg may not be enough. Have another backup somewhere.

During conversion of fsx scenery, three programs were being used alternately, when fsx frame rates went from 30 to 3. That to us simmers is intolerable, so I exited fsx and tried again. When bringing up the scenery library I noticed all the titles were gone, yet I was able to select different flights at different places and the new sceneries would appear. A look at the scenery.cfg showed all the sceneries listed in the proper order scenery wise, but the lines that make up the scenery were scrambled and the scenery title lines were missing. Before I had realized the problem, entering fsx more than once caused fsx to copy the scrambled file into the backup OldScenery.cfg. Argghhh.

Fortunately I had another backup and was saved from having to rebuild 250 sceneries. The thought of doing that was agonizing until I remembered I had the backup.

harleyman
October 15th, 2009, 00:20
Man...That was lucky...

Wonder whay killed the config to begin with?

Glad to hear that you had a backup stashed .

jimjones
October 15th, 2009, 02:19
I'm not exactly sure what went wrong, but the disk on which much of my scenery is stored is having index problems, and a chkdsk op was performed to restore. Seems it happens each time I use Nero to back that disk up. Scary!!!

harleyman
October 15th, 2009, 02:47
This is excellent software for that...

I think there is a trail...

http://www.2brightsparks.com/