PDA

View Full Version : Specs question

whitehawk_2009
October 14th, 2009, 20:10
Hi all,

I am looking at building a new system, and would like some opinions on two vid card/CPU combos.

I am looking to run FS9 full out, Empire At War, the Company of Heroes series, Sins of a Solar Empire, World in Conflict (seeing a pattern here?) and X³plus some older stuff. If I can, I might migrate to the dark side with FSX.:icon_lol: I will most likely be putting in 6GB of RAM.

Now, do you think they'll run with a Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor and a GeForce 9800 GT 512MB vid card?

I'm almost positive they'd run with a i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz Quad-Core Processor (Thanks, Ted) and a Radeon HD 4870 1024MB vid card, but that's on the higher end of the price spectrum.

Thanks

WH

stansdds
October 15th, 2009, 01:59
What operating system do you plan on using and how much RAM? I think FS9 will run fine with the hardware you have listed, FSX? My experience has been that FSX takes a whole lot of processor speed and fast data throughput in order to be smooth at reasonable frame rates. I'm now holding 28 to 30 fps with my overclocked system, but I still can't put all the graphics sliders to 100%. I definitely can with FS9.

whitehawk_2009
October 15th, 2009, 04:52
I was thinking 6GB RAM. The OS question is a real thorn in my side. I plan on getting this later this month, so I was thinking Windows 7, because I know Vista can be a resources hog.

WH

Dangerousdave26
October 15th, 2009, 13:53
This thread here should cover all you need to know

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=23683