PDA

View Full Version : Ati 5870

idancesafetydance
October 14th, 2009, 17:56
Well guys, I am sincerely planning on getting the XFX ATI Radeon 5870. It has me impressed. Heck, it's the fastest single GPU on the market. And the FTX 295 barely has it beat. Really the reason I like it is because it's energy efficient (low power), DX 11, cheap, and is a good preformer. Heck it's a sexy card too. What do you guys think? Save for a long time for the 295 or future 300's? Or go ahead and get the 5870 (FYI, this will not just be for FSX, im a hardcore gamer with a small budget.)

Cheers

-Chuck-

ryanbatc
October 14th, 2009, 18:11
It's still a tossup between the GTX 285 and the ATI's latest 5870

The GTX285 is the tried and true card, but only a few people I know of have the 5870 who are testing it with FSX. Prelim results show the 5870 to be very capable, perhaps on par with the GTX 285

I would wait and see before I bought the 5870. One thing to consider - if you play games other than FSX the ATI card may be the way to go. Traditionally, nvidia cards have performed better in FSX...

Links:
http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=263062
http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=262786

Kiwikat
October 14th, 2009, 18:11
It being faster than a GTX 285 is even debatable. I've seen tests where the 280 beats it handily.

I'd wait for something that is considerably better than the current generation. Hopefully the 300 series will deliver, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

Just my two cents! :monkies:

jmig
October 14th, 2009, 18:16
I run an ATI 4870 and love the card. I have had "0" problems with FSX (Knock on wood) since replacing my 8800GTS with the ATI card. Frames are solid and no shuddering or blurries noticed.

harleyman
October 14th, 2009, 18:40
Go for it..

I'll be getting one soon too!

peter12213
October 14th, 2009, 18:51
I wish I understood what you guys are talking about lol! Mind boggling to me :confused:

MCDesigns
October 14th, 2009, 19:34
I wish I understood what you guys are talking about lol! Mind boggling to me :confused:

What parts confuse you? Basically you have 2 companies, nVidia and ATI that produce high end video cards. They are just comparing their experiences with the different versions out there trying to figure out which might be best for FSX. lots of factors to consider..

JIMJAM
October 14th, 2009, 19:34
Ive had a 1 gig 4870 for awhile and cannot for the life of me get vertical refresh to work. Ive tried it all.Rivatuner and tray tool. After a solid week I gave up on tray tools as Vista 64 just doesnt like it. I am tempted to go back to Nvidia and play driver roulette just to get refresh.
As far as cards go, IMO FSX will continue to absorb as much computing horsepower as you throw at it but new gen vid cards I do not think will make any difference. Besides that $$$ would buy alot of addons or at least a few Mustangs.

DennyA
October 14th, 2009, 20:09
I just swapped out a 285 and installed the 5870. The 5870 is definitely faster in FSX, but not dramatically.

One really cool aspect of the 5870, though: You can run three simultaneous monitors off it. No more messing with stuff like TripleHeadtoGo. (One of the monitors has to use the DisplayPort connector; the others can be two DVI, DVI and VGA, or DVI and DHMI.)

noddy
October 14th, 2009, 23:37
I always had ATI, but when I bought my new machine it was loaded with 2 8800 GTX cards.

This new 5780 looks good.

kilo delta
October 15th, 2009, 01:39
I always had ATI, but when I bought my new machine it was loaded with 2 8800 GTX cards.

This new 5780 looks good.

Theres nothing wrong with the 8800GTX,Noddy, it's still a very capable card. I wouldn't be in any rush to go with a new DX11 capable card just yet, mainly as there's no games out for it as yet (afaik) and it'll make little difference to FSX (which is mainly a dx9 title...with elements of dx10....hmmmm...DX9.5? ) :)

oakfloor
October 15th, 2009, 10:45
Ive had a 1 gig 4870 for awhile and cannot for the life of me get vertical refresh to work. Ive tried it all.Rivatuner and tray tool. After a solid week I gave up on tray tools as Vista 64 just doesnt like it. I am tempted to go back to Nvidia and play driver roulette just to get refresh.
As far as cards go, IMO FSX will continue to absorb as much computing horsepower as you throw at it but new gen vid cards I do not think will make any difference. Besides that $$$ would buy alot of addons or at least a few Mustangs.
I think your right, all my research into this " A better GPU card" when its the CPU that holds back performance.

Dangerous Beans
October 15th, 2009, 11:27

JIMJAM is that in DX10 or DX9 too ?
VSync is broken in FSX in DX10 even with an Nvidia.

idancesafetydance
October 15th, 2009, 12:34
Wow, this thread got big fast. Thanks for the input guys.