PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Users Only

harleyman
October 14th, 2009, 12:03
All others need not apply!

Nvidia has rolled back the recommended driver on their website to 175.19 on any GPU below the 100 series..

Whats up with dat? :kilroy:

noddy
October 14th, 2009, 12:19
LOL, they just go from bad to worse.

Don't think I'll up date to that one :icon_lol:, as I am running 191.07

deimos256
October 14th, 2009, 12:25
um why?

noddy
October 14th, 2009, 12:34
The 179.19 is dated 2008/07/09, they seem to be having a few problems.

GypsyBaron
October 14th, 2009, 13:13
I stopped updating at 181.22.

Actually I did try a couple newer drivers but they didn't
do anything for me or PORKED some features so I went
back to what worked for me.

I have a 8800GTS 640MB card.

Paul

jmig
October 14th, 2009, 13:32
I updated to the ATI 4870.

Haven't looked back.

:gameon:

Dain Arns
October 14th, 2009, 13:32
I reverted back to 182.50 and have stayed there. Every release since then increases my FPS dramatically in FSX. Also been using nHancer. Doesn't surprise me they rolled back, seems like the drivers got worse with each release, at least on my own system.

I used to be an ATi man, jmig, maybe its time to go back?

mfitch
October 14th, 2009, 13:41
New drivers are almost always intended to fix something for new cards. They don't change anything in the legacy support. I have had no trouble with the latest drivers (8800 GTS 512), but I need them for 3D support which has been greatly improved in recent driver versions.

Dain Arns
October 14th, 2009, 13:51
New drivers are almost always intended to fix something for new cards. They don't change anything in the legacy support. I have had no trouble with the latest drivers (8800 GTS 512), but I need them for 3D support which has been greatly improved in recent driver versions.

True. Very good point.

Major_Spittle
October 14th, 2009, 14:17

Haven't looked back.

LOL. :pop4:

Don't taunt the Nvidia users. :icon_lol:

CG_1976
October 14th, 2009, 14:25
Hum I updated within the last 15 days and have had no issues, mattier in fact my FSX fluid experiance is even better so im stayin put. Why break what dont need fixin.

deimos256
October 14th, 2009, 15:21
mine are at 17something, everything works fine so I'm not going thru the hassle of wiping out my old drivers completely etc etc.

hey_moe
October 14th, 2009, 15:27
I have the most current ones with no problem so far....Mike

Cactuskid
October 14th, 2009, 15:34
I had terrible luck with the 180 series drivers on my 9800GTX and rolled back to 178.13. Everything is stable and works great now... It just goes to show that newer is not necessarily better... :wiggle:

falcon409
October 14th, 2009, 15:37
I flew with a guy on Multiplayer that had an NVidia Card and loaded the initial drivers that came with the card (3 years ago) and refused to upgrade because he said it worked fine and he saw no reason to mess with it, lol.

I, on the other hand, mess with mine constantly. I have an NVidia 9600GT w/512 mem and I'm using driver ver 190.38, no problems (that I am aware of).

Crusader
October 14th, 2009, 16:29

Haven't looked back.

Yep , I've been an NVidia man for years . I am now a proud owner of a ATI 4870 and I'll never look back either . Nvidia makes one nice card but their drivers have been shakey the past several they have put out .

Rich

harleyman
October 14th, 2009, 17:28
Yep , I've been an NVidia man for years . I am now a proud owner of a ATI 4870 and I'll never look back either . Nvidia makes one nice card but their drivers have been shakey the past several they have put out .

Rich

Except you have a 4890...Even better....:ernae::bump:

rwmarth
October 14th, 2009, 18:33
So do you guys think that Nvidia believes there is a major fault with the newer drivers or just some sort of mixup?

Crusader
October 14th, 2009, 20:57
Except you have a 4890...Even better....:ernae::bump:

Sorry , 4890 . Too damn many numbers to remember .(This is what happens Mason when you are advancing into the "elderly stages" of life .) What was it they say is the last thing to go ?:icon_lol:

Rich

lawdawg
October 14th, 2009, 23:25
Sorry , 4890 . Too damn many numbers to remember .(This is what happens Mason when you are advancing into the "elderly stages" of life .) What was it they say is the last thing to go ?:icon_lol:

Rich

I can't think of it right off.

harleyman
October 15th, 2009, 00:23
I can't think of it right off.

LOL...Same here.....

What were we talking about again?:isadizzy:

stansdds
October 15th, 2009, 02:10
I have had several years of experience with Nvidia graphics cards and their drivers. I have found that newer drivers on older cards, even though the older card is "supported", tend to make the card run slower or induces instability. I've experienced this with a 6800 Ultra, a 7950GT, now a 8800GT. I hear the 182.50 is the best of the 18x or later drivers, but I stopped at 181.20 and have considered reverting to the 178.24 or even going back to... the 175 drivers.

jimjones
October 15th, 2009, 02:26
182.50 been working great on the 8800. It resolved problems and allows use of 3D analglyth glasses.

Bjoern
October 15th, 2009, 06:57
All I see on Nvidia's site is 191 series drivers - regardless of GPU model...*Shrugs*

harleyman
October 15th, 2009, 07:00
Hmmmm

maybe they are now back and experienced a glitch on their site...

very odd indeed

Bjoern
October 15th, 2009, 07:26
Anyways, thanks for the sort-of-HU though, Harleyman. I'm gonna try out the new 191.56s. They're actually for Quadros but said to work very well on regular cards.

Oli-TUB
October 15th, 2009, 07:37
By the way, is anyone aware of a 182.50 version for Win7 64bit? I also liked that driver the most under XP but I cannot find a proper version for Win7 of it. Only Vista ones so far.

JoeW
October 15th, 2009, 08:01
I just installed the 191's in my puker. I had the 186's which were pretty good too. See my post in the Cub thread.

Bjoern
October 15th, 2009, 09:38
Meh, the 191.56 doesn't work out much for me. Kind of low 3D Mark 06 score and problems with ALT+Enter in FSX.

Trying the official 191.07s now.

dexthom
October 15th, 2009, 11:42
Running the 191.07 on Win 7 64 bit just fine...

Spikehughes
October 15th, 2009, 12:00
For me the 191's have been an unmitigated disaster and I have a factory overclocked GTX 260. The main reason is that Anti Aliasing refuses to enable and Nhancer seems to have lost the ability to enforce AA within FSX.

I have tried 191.03, 191.07 and earlier 190 versions. I have read and reread the Nhancer forums and it seems I am not alone. Although FSX specific users appear slim on the ground in the forum, it is obvious they are encountering the same issues. Martin Korndorfer has released 2 or 3 versions of nhancer lately the latest being 2.5.7 and even with that I cannot get AA to work reliably in FSX. (and believe me I have reinstalled and installed, deleted NVAPPs etc etc as per instructions on each occasion)

The issue for me (and here I am happy to receive educated alternative advice), is that it is my understanding Nhancer enables the direct AA usage from the card, whereas forcing AA on inside the application, chews into the available CPU power?). Indeed, in the past I have enabled AA only through Nhancer and it has worked a charm, forcing AA on to a higher degree and giving a better result, with good FPS.

After a lot of frustration with the latest drivers, (191 etc) I have decided to revert back to 186.18 for the time being. All is well there. I await any intelligent debate on this matter for resolution from Nvidia, but know full well that is unlikely to be taken seriously, after all FSX is 3 years old now.

Spike

Bjoern
October 16th, 2009, 09:44
Running the 191.07 on Win 7 64 bit just fine...

You lucky dog. ;)
That's what they give me:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/t3h_3vil/Misc/th_Driver_Error_FSX.jpg (http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/t3h_3vil/Misc/Driver_Error_FSX.jpg)

I have tried 191.03, 191.07 and earlier 190 versions. I have read and reread the Nhancer forums and it seems I am not alone. Although FSX specific users appear slim on the ground in the forum, it is obvious they are encountering the same issues. Martin Korndorfer has released 2 or 3 versions of nhancer lately the latest being 2.5.7 and even with that I cannot get AA to work reliably in FSX. (and believe me I have reinstalled and installed, deleted NVAPPs etc etc as per instructions on each occasion)

The issue for me (and here I am happy to receive educated alternative advice), is that it is my understanding Nhancer enables the direct AA usage from the card, whereas forcing AA on inside the application, chews into the available CPU power?). Indeed, in the past I have enabled AA only through Nhancer and it has worked a charm, forcing AA on to a higher degree and giving a better result, with good FPS.

After a lot of frustration with the latest drivers, (191 etc) I have decided to revert back to 186.18 for the time being. All is well there. I await any intelligent debate on this matter for resolution from Nvidia, but know full well that is unlikely to be taken seriously, after all FSX is 3 years old now.

Well, the 190.62s worked perfectly for me (AA et al) until I've decided to upgrade them yesterday. Ever since then, nothing but trouble.

Still need to figure out a procedure for a good, clean driver installation in Windows 7.

Bjoern
October 18th, 2009, 13:15
*Bump*

Fixed my problem (reverted back to the 186.18s) and I think I also have a good driver installation procedure for Windows 7 now:

1. Uninstall your video card via Device Manager, also select "Delete Driver".
2. Reboot, let 7 install the generic WDDM driver. Don't reboot after that just yet, but instead run a cleaning tool like Driver Sweeper first, then reboot.
3. Install the new drivers, reboot and done.

Worked for me, would be cool if someone else could test that.

harleyman
October 18th, 2009, 14:02
If I had a Nvidid card I would test it for sure....

lawdawg
October 18th, 2009, 14:17
All I see on Nvidia's site is 191 series drivers - regardless of GPU model...*Shrugs*

Google search the driver number ya want. Example..(NVidia 182.50 Vista) in Google. Don't do like me and for get to add in the search your Operating system as well. I did that last night when I looked for and found the 182.50 driver. My DL speed is just this side of a snail race. Took bout 2 hours for 77mb. Then I find out it's for XP...I have Vista. I am such a knucklehead.
Will download the Vista version later.

Bjoern
October 18th, 2009, 15:23
Tried the whole procedure again. Works extremely well.

I don't know how FSX does with the 191.56s yet.

Dangerous Beans
October 24th, 2009, 05:54
For me the 191's have been an unmitigated disaster and I have a factory overclocked GTX 260. The main reason is that Anti Aliasing refuses to enable and Nhancer seems to have lost the ability to enforce AA within FSX.

Spike

I've run into this problem in the last couple of days while setting up Win7 and I think I've found what's wrong.
I've found that when forcing the AA in NHancer with the new drivers only Multisampling works, Supersampling and Combined seem to be broken.

If you set any Supersampling or Combined AA settings in NHancer then open the Nvidia control panel they show up as Custom under Antialiasing-Setting and don't work in game,

Its not just FSX that's affected, it seems to be in all games.
So far I've tried it in FSX, GTR2 and GPL with the same results.

I don't know if its the drivers or NHancer that's at fault so I'm going to post about it on the Nhancer forum and see what happens.

EDIT: Just found this at the NHancer forum and it worked http://forum.nhancer.com/announcement.php?f=5