PDA

View Full Version : Logitech G940...

VFR Reviews
October 14th, 2009, 06:39
Hey guys!

My published review of the G940 is up at Avsim!

I was hoping I could hear back from you gents on the review a bit, so here's a link-

http://www.avsim.com/pages/1009/Logitech/G940.htm

I'd really appreciate your feedback, especially from people I sort-of know, as opposed to random people in my email.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Kevin

LTCSZ
October 14th, 2009, 07:17
Great review! Very detailed...Wish I had $300!

Steve in Kansas

rayhere48
October 14th, 2009, 08:30
I really like Logitech and wish that they would come up with a stand alone throttle. It would be good to compete with Ch products. I have a ch throttle and logitech joystick and ch throttle Quadrant. I would not like to have to buy the hole kit if just one of the pieces were to stop working. Just my 2 cents.

kilo delta
October 14th, 2009, 08:37
Well balanced review,Kevin :applause:. Don't know if I'd be willing to give up my MS Sidewinder 2 FF joystick just yet,though, especially with the Logitechs overheating issues. I'll give it a bit more time, wait for the Saitek offering and hopefully Logitech will have ironed out the problems with the G940 by then. Prices might drop too, what with the market competition ;) .

Dain Arns
October 14th, 2009, 09:01
I'll recommend the G940 to anyone. I haven't had any issues with heating at all, and I have run the stick for hours at a time. Make sure the vent ports are clear. I have had no issues with this stick, other than the early software profiler issue which has already been ironed out with the latest revision.

There are no springs or potentiometers in these units, so there is very little that could break, unless you are extremely heavy handed or footed. They are quite solid and quality made throughout.

They are also the most accurate and smoothest set of controls I have ever had in my years of simming. Period. I have used many Logitech, Microsoft, Thrustmaster, Saitek, and CH Products over the past 15 years, but the Logitech G940 is the best set I have ever owned.

And if you do want a good FF experience in FSX with this stick, do yourself a huge favor and get the FS Force FF addon instead of using the generic, default FF in sim. FS Force allows you to build a specific FF profile for each and every aircraft in your hangar.

My two cents...

Mathias
October 14th, 2009, 09:19
Kevin, I thought that was a well balanced review. You obviously invested a good amount of time and thought testing this hardware.

And if you do want a good FF experience in FSX with this stick, do yourself a huge favor and get the FS Force FF addon instead of using the generic, default FF in sim. FS Force allows you to build a specific FF profile for each and every aircraft in your hangar.

My two cents...

Dain, I'm not yet convinced by the Logitech FF from what I hear about this particulat stick, esspecially since I brought back to the shop every other Logitech FF stick that I tried simply because the FF felt pretty toy-like.
Can you compare this one to the MS Sidewinder FF 2 in strength/tension ?

Dain Arns
October 14th, 2009, 09:30
You can ramp up the G940 settings high enough to give you carpal tunnel syndrome in short order and leave you feeling arthritic. That strong enough? :icon_lol: No the G940 never has felt like a toy like to me, and I concur with your experiences regarding other Logitech FF sticks. I was skeptical too.

But I'd still also recommend using FS Force with, well any FF stick regardless. The FS Force addon allows you to have the forces adjusted to the aircraft's control surfaces, based on the speed of the aircraft as an example. Mushy near stall, firm near VNe.

FS Force allows you to demo the product for 30 minutes at a time (It says Seattle area but I tested it in Tongass area as well):

http://www.fs-force.com/

EDIT: OOPs! I said previously the FS Force demo worked everywhere, apparently it does only demo at KSEA. Sorry about that! :redface:

Mathias
October 14th, 2009, 09:36
You can ramp up the G940 settings high enough to give you carpal tunnel syndrome in short order and leave you feeling arthritic. That strong enough?

That should suffice. :bump:
Thanks!

VFR Reviews
October 14th, 2009, 10:02
Thanks a bunch guys, very nice to hear :ernae:

I really appreciate it.

JamesChams
October 14th, 2009, 10:03
I own it and like it very much.

There is one major problem with v5.08 of the profiler. It seems to trap the function of the mouse when either in the game or not so that if you are trying to work with a browser (i.e. IE v8) it seems to conflict with the scrolling, tabing, etc. That's my only complaint.:kilroy:

Otherwise, it is an awesome product. It could use a Force Feedback feature of its own. However, in my case FS Force seems to do things nicely for FSX.

harleyman
October 14th, 2009, 11:52
Great and honest review ....

Its expensive yes, but it is a complete flight system minus any guages you may want...

I like it and if ever were to purchase it will be sure to increase my fire insurance....:icon_lol:

VFR Reviews
October 14th, 2009, 11:54

I really appreciate the 'honest' part. That means a lot :ernae: Some people don't think reviewers are too trustworthy...

Kevin

gera
October 14th, 2009, 12:30
good review, very indicative where someone would stash their 300 Mulas. Not for me since I do not use sticks.......very good.

Boomer
October 14th, 2009, 15:36
Very fair review.

I will have to be one of the naysayers though. I preorderd it months ago to replace my aging X52. In the interim said controller went tits up so I bought the Thrustmaster Cougar.

It arrived & despite some initial teething problems fell in love with it. I completely forgot about the preorder until I got an email from Logitech that it had shipped. The next day (a friday) it was at my door. Having the weekend free I decided to give it a go & possibly replace my cougar which I loved.

I spent the whole weekend with the controller (much to my wifes chagrin). I can honestly say I truly wanted to like the controller but it fell short. Most of my gripes are ergonomic.
I dont like the pedals, I fly in my stocking feet & the ridge at the heel is irritating. Also I have a pedestal system that I use to hold my controllers so the stick is between my legs. The joystick base is so wide that I had to splay my knees out to get around it. This caused my feet to be at an angle on the pedals & the lip around the pedals then became a further irritant.
The stick is more or less fine but if you are using the shift key the 2 buttons on far right of the stick are difficult to use unless like Kevin you are pianist.
The trim wheels on the stick I hate because they do not have a center detent. You have to physically look at them to tell if they are in the center position. The mark is on the wheel is a black painted stripe on a black wheel that is almost impossible to see except in bright light.

The throttles I can honestly say I liked except for the wheels on them that suffer from the same problem as on the throttle.

I also found that I just dont care for force feedback. I found it to be a distraction instead of an enhancement but that is probably just me.

At the end of the weekend I put my Cougar back in the position it richly deserves & boxed the Logitech back up with the intention of sending it back & getting a refund. The box is still sitting here, I really need to send it back soon.

glennc
October 14th, 2009, 17:32
I skimmed through the review - I'll finish it later. It looks to be very similar to my opinions. I bought mine a few days ago and I'm very happy with it. My major useage problem is with the pedals but I'll fix that with a trip to the home supply store this weekend. I have them on a slippery tile floor. It slides around too much. One screen shot in the review was very helpful - how to change the button colors on the throttle. That's my plan for later. It took me about two nights to get it configured enough to use. I'll be tweaking for a while.

Glenn

glennc
October 14th, 2009, 20:29
I just found a problem with the G940 - no way to control the right side engines on a four engine aircraft like the A2A B-17. I don't even see a way to assign one of the throttles to all engines. At least that way I could lock the throttles together and use it like a single throttle device. I checked the Logitech forums but don't see anything relavent. In my perfect world, I would like to be able to do left side, right side mapping. Has anyone found a way to handle four engines?

Glenn

JamesChams
October 14th, 2009, 20:41
Mr. Glenn "glennc,"

... I would like to be able to do left side, right side mapping. Has anyone found a way to handle four engines? ...
Yes, this can be done with FSUIPC (http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html).

And you can ask for details on their forums HERE: http://forums.simflight.com/viewforum.php?f=54

Good Luck! :wavey:

JamesChams
October 14th, 2009, 20:52
Mr. Kevin Glover,

It was a nice and informative review... I actually learn't how to turn those LED's ON/OFF/Change Colors from the SDK tool which I wanted to be able to use for ON/OFF and alert functions from seeing the pic of it in your review; thank you for that info. And, who ever is working on the prog. to manipulate that feature, in FSX, will get a BIG :ernae: from me when it is released. But the Issue of the mouse being trapped with the profiler and the FS Force as seen on web browsers is still there. Perhaps, it will be fixed.
Thanks! :wavey:

Shylock
October 15th, 2009, 16:01
My buddy did a review on this product as well for those that like to fly formation you can read it here. You dont have to be a member to read it.

http://fsxproblueangels.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2093

glennc
October 15th, 2009, 17:11
James, I may have to try that. I had specifically the A2A B-17 in mind when I bought it. Thanks for the thought.

Glenn

VFR Reviews
October 15th, 2009, 18:51
Very nice review, mate :)

Thanks again for all the feedback and comments, guys, I really appreciate it.

James- glad to hear it helped you. I actually purchased FS-Force on your recommendation. Nice little program, I think :ernae:

Boomer- good points, indeed. Most of them will only affect people with a similar setup, though, but I'm sorry it doesn't work well for you :(

Anyway, thanks again guys! It's really nice to hear all this. I really appreciate it.

Kevin

glennc
October 15th, 2009, 20:27
I've found a partial solution to the four engine problem on the G940. There is a Throttle axis that allows assiging one throttle to all engines. Of course, going back to a two engine config means changing the axes back. I may try saving the FS config for four engines out to, I guess, another fsx.cfg, then switch back and forth. I don't know if FS will allow changing the config in flight but it might be worth a try. If this was a button problem, I might be able to do that in the Profiler, then switch as needed.

Glenn

VFR Reviews
October 16th, 2009, 05:51
Worth a try mate :)

Let me know if it works :ernae: