PDA

View Full Version : Less than a week to go

Willy
October 13th, 2009, 22:19
We've got less than a week before the race starts. Time to get in some test flights to make sure your rig, aircraft and other odd and ends are working correctly. Probably would be a good idea to get in a hard drive defrag in now. Also make sure that the Duenna is doing it's thing while you've got time to fix it if it aint.

I took the CDM up on a full out test under race conditions this evening and discovered a few things that'll need attending to and/or keeping an eye on. I'll be doing some more test flights as the week wears on. Good to know about any problems now than find out about them on the way to Melbourne.

Have fun and fly safe!

Willy

salt_air
October 14th, 2009, 04:52
Good point Willy.....

I'd run one of the free registry cleaners too if you've been doing a lot of auto installers and uninstallers while shopping for aircraft. Some of those (uninstallers) are trashy and leave a lot of footprints and junk behind.

If you haven't done a defrag in a while or if windows can't seem to get the fragmented file count down low enough for you then you can use a free trial of Ultimate Defrag. It's all it says it is....go here:

http://www.disktrix.com/ultimatedefrag_home.htm hit the "try" button.

Marked difference on my machines after running this. How 'bout only 2 fragmented files on the "C" drive when it finishes?

Willy
October 14th, 2009, 19:52
As a systems test, I flew a practice flight over the first leg (EGUN - LFPB) starting at 0630 local just see how conditions are, etc. Also I was evaluating a potential replacement entry in the Golden Age. This was full out in race conditions with Real wx, the Duenna running and the 8-track playing for ambiance.

Turned out to be a decent run to Paris in the ol' Twin Beech. I've attached the results along with some pics from the flight. I sure like flying this one much better than the Gee Bee.

Those who aren't familiar with Duenna files, feel free to peruse the ones attached. Lot's of info in there....

salt_air
October 15th, 2009, 07:16
Love that plane.....

Willy
October 15th, 2009, 12:31
It's my favorite in FS as well as my default aircraft. I'm a bit worried about collecting up too many crash "demerits" in the Gee Bee so I'm considering flying the Twin Beech instead for the Golden Age.

PRB
October 15th, 2009, 14:30
Dang, less than a week? I hope to get my paint job done by then or the people I borrowed the Lockheed from might recognize it. I mean, I hope they like it. What? Of course I got permission!

Willy
October 16th, 2009, 19:21
I've spent the past couple of days figuring out two routes. One for the Golden Age and the other for Modern GA. I think I've about got them ironed out now. One should prove interesting ;).

Willy
October 16th, 2009, 23:49
Been doing a little practice flying out of Rochford to stay ready. The CDM is looking good...

PRB
October 17th, 2009, 10:05
Ok, I think I'm ready now...

salt_air
October 17th, 2009, 11:06
Ok, I think I'm ready now...

That's a sweet looking paint job to go with those panel upgrades Paul.

I "borrowed" a little from it...:engel016:

Good Luck!

PRB
October 18th, 2009, 04:52
Thanks, Austin.

I guess I'm not done messing around with it quite yet... :icon_lol: Decided not to get cute with the registration letters, and put the correct ones back on, from the original plane.

I've made a simple "patch" for the 2009 event, that I painted on my wing. It's available in BMP, PNG, and AI (vector) formats, if anyone wants to use it or make it better. I kept mine simple, so it could be read when scalled down and placed on the wing.

Milton Shupe
October 18th, 2009, 05:01
Wow! Nice work there PRB. :applause:

MM
October 18th, 2009, 07:45
That's terrific, Paul.

Willy
October 18th, 2009, 11:27
Thanks P. I'm trying to think of where I can stick 'em on the CDM and the Twin Beech.

arrvoo
October 19th, 2009, 10:22
Thanks for the logo PRB, brilliant job. It inspired me to have a go at this repaint malarkey, and managed to get them added to my race plane.

Willy
October 19th, 2009, 22:59
The official start time was an hour and a half ago and we've got 2 pilots winging their way in different directions both flying Spartans. An interesting development but not unexpected as there are two routes to Baghdad in the Golden Age.

I'm going to start off tomorrow, but best of luck to everyone involved! :ernae:

srgalahad
October 20th, 2009, 00:22
In the midst of all the excitement at the start line, an aircraft lands and is towed into a hangar in a far corner of the airport....

Willy
October 20th, 2009, 00:31
And our third pilot is off in a DC-3 enroute to Paris!