PDA

View Full Version : Windows Update, Ugh!

WarHorse47
October 13th, 2009, 15:29
I came home from work about 40 minutes ago, and in my in-box was a notice from Microsoft about a series of security updates. Although I'm automaticaly programmed to receive these, I decided to do it manually. There were 18 patches that took over 20 minutes to install over a cable network. Ugh. :isadizzy:

Now I know these little suckers are consuming some HD space, and they can populate the Control Panel menu for the 'Add or Remove Programs' feature. But I don't know how to clean things up, or if they can be removed from the HD or registry entries. :sleep:

What I'd like to know is if anyone has any suggestions on how to better manage these updates from MS? Is there a web site with some tech talk that can tell me what I can remove from my system after an update? Or better yet, is there a freeware app somewhere that will help me clean up the 'Add or Remove Programs' list from the registry??

Thanks,

--WH

demorier
October 13th, 2009, 18:56
I only do manual updates. Was able to 'uncheck' windows default e-mail handler updates...'cause I never use the thing anyway...that alone saved 25mb.

n4gix
October 13th, 2009, 19:39
What I hate more than that is that even after installing that obscenely HUGE "update" and rebooting, there was a new notice of yet another set of "updates" that needed to be installed...

...and after rebooting for the umteenth time yesterday morning, a note popped up that there was a Java update available...

...and then a new Adobe Reader update...

I wasted an enormous amount of time yesterday morning!

Later yesterday afternoon, I got another notice that advised that a MAJOR update was available. When I checked the notes to see what it was, I read that it might take up to four HOURS to d/l and install...

...at which time I said to myself, "screw this update BS!" :icon_lol: