PDA

View Full Version : Scenery for MacRobertson

teson1
October 13th, 2009, 07:29
Hello all,
I have another question for advice.

We'll be flying a loooong time on this race, at low altitude, through interesting regions, so it would be great to have something to look at.
Do you have any good scenery addons for FS2009 to recommend, in particular

1. A good landclass for asia (most important IMO)
2. Good water/lake/ocean shores?
3. Roads

Sorry, I just don't have a lot of time to go hunting for this, so would appreciate your advice.

Thanks,

Gunter

Willy
October 13th, 2009, 10:40
Rhumbaflappy (sp?) made a world wide mesh set based on shuttle radar data for CFS 2 that works with FS9 if that's what your flying. Obio has the details on it if you're interested.

As far as scenery goes, I use the California Classics retro scenery as I've converted FS 2004 to FS 1954 and fly it.

Moses03
October 13th, 2009, 11:26
Here is a good place to troll for scenery-

http://walhalla.mine.nu/fs2004.php

PRB
October 13th, 2009, 14:38
Thanks, Moses! That's a great scenery site!

Dangerousdave26
October 13th, 2009, 15:53
While not scenery if your system can handle it use the Mesh at Simviation.

http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm

You can down load certain areas of the world. It also is bases on SRTM data but is LOD 9 and well worth the time to down load it.

Down load the Terrain Map and look at the sections that you need to install.

I have it running on my machine P4 3.0 GHz 2 GB ram 256 Mb Nvidia GT7900 video card with no problem.

Compared to the default Mesh...

OH my God!

salt_air
October 13th, 2009, 16:37
While not scenery if your system can handle it use the Mesh at Simviation.

http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm

You can down load certain areas of the world. It also is bases on SRTM data but is LOD 9 and well worth the time to down load it.

Down load the Terrain Map and look at the sections that you need to install.

I have it running on my machine P4 3.0 GHz 2 GB ram 256 Mb Nvidia GT7900 video card with no problem.

Compared to the default Mesh...

OH my God!

First time I 've seen this Dave,,,,Over 8 GB's,,,,well it's supposed to rain here tomorrow,,,,guess what I'll be doing? :running:

Thank you sir!

teson1
October 14th, 2009, 07:16
Mesh! That' the most important of course to improve the landscape!
I didn't mention it as I have FSGlobal (and GE, UT Europe, AS6 installed - it did help that I found the first three in a bargain bin for 5 EUR each with other goodies :wiggle:)
But good recommendations for others who may look at the thread. Thanks.

I did not find any landclass or river/lake/shoreline/road data for the MacRobertson event in Walhalla.

- Is there any asia landclass for fs9 (pay is no problem)?
Or is there any way I can use the Cloud9 or SceneryTech FSX Asia landclass in fs9?

- I guess for the water/road data there is nothing available for asia (?)

Willy, thanks for the hint! I may download some of the 50's airports from calclassics. There are some on the route. That will set the mood.:jump:
The calclassics scenery page also mentions a "Calclassic Landclass" in the scenery layer list - is that a special product available. or just how to layer the LC of the individual airports?
http://www.calclassic.com/scenery.htm (http://www.calclassic.com/scenery.htm)

Thanks.

Gunter

OBIO
October 14th, 2009, 13:15
Rhumbaflappy has done a LOD5 and LOD7 set that covers the entire world.....very very nice for LOD7 mesh. He also did a LOD8 for the Pacific and European areas where WW2 took place....I did a thread on it in the FS2004 forum. The LOD8 mesh is amazing! Looks more detailed than normal LOD8 mesh does....same goes for the LOD5 and 7 mesh. Well worth downloading.

OBIO

EdGeneer
October 14th, 2009, 19:22
I have fsglobal, and thats 76m i think... I never installed it becasue i had the fsgenessis usa for 38m... i should see about the fsglobal and install that at a lower layer and thus cover anything not already covered in my 38m gen mesh folder...

salt_air
October 15th, 2009, 07:03
If you plan to use FSNav as a chart for planning purpose, just remember that the elevations it displays are always the default ones.

Any of the mesh files I've used actually raise the default elevations in varying degrees so that what you see looks so much better.

Won't make too much difference to us because we'll be flying mostly during daylight,,,,,unless of course you hit a storm or some haze and the vis drops down and the ridge displayed as 2500' is actually 3500' or more...:blind:.

Dangerousdave26
October 15th, 2009, 07:15
If you plan to use FSNav as a chart for planning purpose, just remember that the elevations it displays are always the default ones.

.:blind:.

The bench marks in FSNav for the default Mesh were always wrong also.

I ignore FSNav for any terrain information and just use it for nav aids and airport information.

Remember you can use it but check the button that turns off your aircraft in the display.

salt_air
October 15th, 2009, 07:28
The bench marks in FSNav for the default Mesh were always wrong also.

I ignore FSNav for any terrain information and just use it for nav aids and airport information.

Remember you can use it but check the button that turns off your aircraft in the display.

Absolutely,,,,,and the one that scrolls the map to keep your location in the center.

I WANT to be on the edge of being lost the whole time....:isadizzy:.

Most of us could fly this many miles in six weeks anyway, challenge is to find our way using the Nav tools available in 1934,,,,FSNav ain't on the list...:icon_lol: