PDA

View Full Version : New Here!

Nsidious9
October 12th, 2009, 21:52
Greetings! My name is Kelly Wilkins, and I am new to these forums! I work for a company that builds computers specifically for Flight Simming, so if there is anything I can do for you, please do not hesitate to ask.

I look forward to being an active member here!

tigisfat
October 12th, 2009, 21:58
Greetings! My name is Kelly Wilkins, and I am new to these forums! I work for a company that builds computers specifically for Flight Simming, so if there is anything I can do for you, please do not hesitate to ask.

I look forward to you becoming an active member here as well. I hope you're not just here to advertise.

CBris
October 12th, 2009, 22:02
A bit strong there Tig...?

Chacha
October 12th, 2009, 22:06

Welcome to SOH, Kelly! :applause:

Fell at home! :ernae:

And help yourself.... :icon29:

BananaBob
October 12th, 2009, 22:07
Yeah, we have others who build computers here who offer their services, the more the merrier. Welcome! :ernae:

tigisfat
October 12th, 2009, 22:20
A bit strong there Tig...?

nah,

I actually do hope he continues to post here and becomes an active member of this community, like I said.

The picture was only for LOLs.:bump:

As for the advertising, I'm actually in the market for a new computer.

:ernae:

tigisfat
October 12th, 2009, 22:23
I just checked his site. Holy cow, those are some nice and expensive computers. I'd love to get ahold of one.

CBris
October 12th, 2009, 22:24
...and of course:

A big warm welcome from me too, Kelly. I just took a sneak peek at your employer's site. Of course we can't all afford, but your expertise in helping us with our limping, pensionable, AMD FX 62 boxes etc. could get the odd tip to improve our boxes (just don't tell your boss...)

CBris
October 12th, 2009, 22:36
Understood Tig - it's just that I happen to like dogs and that pic is distressing.

Looking at that jetline stuff I am impressed at their openness in discussing performance. There's a lot of really useful tips there that home-builders and DiYers can use.

Pips
October 12th, 2009, 22:54
Welcome Kelly, hope you enjoy your time here. :wavey:

I work for a company that builds computers specifically for Flight Simming.

I wish there were similar companies here in Oz that did that.

jankees
October 13th, 2009, 00:01
Welcome Kelly,

we hope you enjoy your stay here!

harleyman
October 13th, 2009, 02:42
Kelly... It has been a year has it not....???

Anyhow, Welcome to our little world....

I have known him for like a year, as he was a lead tech for Digital Storm... He also won SLI Rig of the month a while back...:applause:

He is very knowledgeable about computers and FSX and can add alot of help and info to us!

I wish you well at JetLine Kelly..They are lucky to have your talent there...:ernae:

txnetcop
October 13th, 2009, 02:49

As a matter of fact there are many system builders in here so welcome to the group
Ted

kilo delta
October 13th, 2009, 02:50
Always good to have more techies aboard!

Welcome to the SOH, Kelly :ernae:

MCDesigns
October 13th, 2009, 03:20
Welcome Kelly!! :ernae:

Javis
October 13th, 2009, 04:33
The picture was only for LOLs.

Oh... you think that's funny, huh....

I think your sense of humor is funny.....

Try looking at a few Laurel&Hardy movies, Ok ?

Nontheless welcome, Kelly :mixedsmi:

cheers,
jan

Nsidious9
October 13th, 2009, 05:35
Thanks a lot everyone! No, I am not here just to advertise, and yes, I know our systems can be a bit pricey. But we cater to all budgets, those are just some of the higher end systems we have. Right now we are targeting ground schools and museums, but where I come in to is the enthusiast level. Like yourselves.

Again, I thank you all for the warm welcome!

italoc
October 13th, 2009, 06:05
Welcome Kelly :wavey:
Hope you will help us (me, poor retired and frustrated old flyer) in our
effort to re-enact that wonderful feeling of taking our feet off the ground
:engel016:
Italo

Lionheart
October 13th, 2009, 06:19
I advertise!

bad me....

Welcome aboard Kelley. I had read about your computers a few days ago in one of the FS magazines. I hope business is going well.

What are the frame rates on a FSX running computer, mid line model, if I may ask. I dream of owning a computer that can run it smoothly...

Bill

CBris
October 13th, 2009, 06:38
Oh yes - I advertise here too - oops! Even if it is for freebie repaints off my humble website.

Kelly - now if you delivered at those proces ex-works free delivery in Germany, then I could sort of be tempted (hahaha)

But seriously - is there any sign of the Intel 975's becoming any cheaper? I am indeed toying with the idea to rebuild my box. Or rather convert it to a server and build a new one.

Also - anyone - what's better... Terabyte drives and bigger...? Or smaller ones in RAID or even bigger ones in RAID? My FSX is now almost 170 GB - plus a few sceneries on another drive. will 7200 rpm SATA drives still be good, or are there faster, more reliable and better cached drives?

FSX sceneries are such hogs - I can't buy the OrbX terrains simply because I am out of drive space...

Lionheart
October 13th, 2009, 06:52
Also - anyone - what's better... Terabyte drives and bigger...? Or smaller ones in RAID or even bigger ones in RAID? My FSX is now almost 170 GB - plus a few sceneries on another drive. will 7200 rpm SATA drives still be good, or are there faster, more reliable and better cached drives?

For me, an external (or internal / seperate) 1TB is the way to go, putting all FS things in the seperated drive. This way, your OS runs on one HD, and your sim runs on the other, and that does improve speed.

Maintenance on a 1TB (running defrag) can be time consuming, but I think its done less on a seperate drive outside of the OS drive (C: drive).

But, thats my own findings. I am not a computer guru like Insidios.

Bill

Nsidious9
October 13th, 2009, 07:35
Oh yes - I advertise here too - oops! Even if it is for freebie repaints off my humble website.

Kelly - now if you delivered at those proces ex-works free delivery in Germany, then I could sort of be tempted (hahaha)

But seriously - is there any sign of the Intel 975's becoming any cheaper? I am indeed toying with the idea to rebuild my box. Or rather convert it to a server and build a new one.

FSX sceneries are such hogs - I can't buy the OrbX terrains simply because I am out of drive space...

Actually, raid diminishes performance with FSX. You're better off with single drives, and even though the Velociraptors are the 10k drives, there is a faster drive out there, I think it's the WD 850GB or something. In benchmarks, the performance was faster than the Raptors'. But as it stands you may be better off with say a velociraptor as your primary disc and a 1 or 2TB as your storage/fs disc.

And as far as the pricing for the 975 goes, I honestly don't see that dropping until the i9 processors hit the market, and even then, the price drop won't be that beneficial. You're better off with the i7 920 because the QPI handling on that cpu is fantastic. You will thinnk that you had a 975. I swear!

And shipping, if you were in the US we would offer free shipping, but, unfortunately, we can't ship worldwide for free. Sorry.

txnetcop
October 13th, 2009, 08:14
Actually, raid diminishes performance with FSX. You're better off with single drives, and even though the Velociraptors are the 10k drives, there is a faster drive out there, I think it's the WD 850GB or something. In benchmarks, the performance was faster than the Raptors'. But as it stands you may be better off with say a velociraptor as your primary disc and a 1 or 2TB as your storage/fs disc.

Actually this statement applies only if you are using a motherboard RAID controller. If you use a separate RAID card the speeds are much faster and there is benefit from RAID 0 up to RAID 5. You are correct that the 10,000 rpm drives are not as fast in read time as some of the newer 32mg cache Black Edition hard drives.
Ted

gera
October 13th, 2009, 08:20
welcome amigo piloto!!!!

Nsidious9
October 13th, 2009, 08:24
Actually this statement applies only if you are using a motherboard RAID controller. If you use a separate RAID card the speeds are much faster and there is benefit from RAID 0 up to RAID 5. You are correct that the 10,000 rpm drives are not as fast in read time as some of the newer 32mg cache Black Edition hard drives.
Ted

Right sir, I agree. But you have to understand that the average user can't afford a standalone raid controller card. Hell, I can't. But I will say that you are right about that. But for the average/general user, people use a onboard controller. SO I guess you can say I was generally speaking.
In the future, I will try not to do so, as I see there are more technically savvy people here that need specifics and not general statements. I do apologize.

kilo delta
October 13th, 2009, 08:36

Chris...you don't need an i7 975 extreme chip in order to tame fsx. Many overclocked dual/quad socket 775 chips on a good mobo with matched memory will suffice.If going with a new build,however then I'd go with the i7 build purely to futureproof as much as possible.
As regards HDD's.... the best bang for your buck is the 10,000rpm 300GB Velociraptors. I'm running my FSX installation on a 750gb 32mb cache 7200rpm Samsung F1 drive (with photoscenery on a separate 64gb SSD Samsung drive). There are reports of some people having failures with the F1's ...though I've had no problems with any of my 750GB's or 1TB drives in my main pc.

harleyman
October 13th, 2009, 08:59
Right sir, I agree. But you have to understand that the average user can't afford a standalone raid controller card. Hell, I can't. But I will say that you are right about that. But for the average/general user, people use a onboard controller. SO I guess you can say I was generally speaking.
In the future, I will try not to do so, as I see there are more technically savvy people here that need specifics and not general statements. I do apologize.

Just don't let it happen again Texan....LOL :bump: :icon_lol:

Nsidious9
October 13th, 2009, 09:46
lol thanks HM. I'll do my best. ;)

Marvin Carter
October 13th, 2009, 09:55
Howdy!!!

Bjoern
October 13th, 2009, 10:48
Hi there.

Nsidious9
October 13th, 2009, 10:49
Thanks for the warm welcomes! :D

lawdawg
October 13th, 2009, 14:22
Welcome from the Frozen Chozen.

Nick C
October 13th, 2009, 14:42
Welcome from the depths of an Autumn suffering UK.

heywooood
October 13th, 2009, 16:02
hello from the OH

Henry
October 13th, 2009, 16:52
Welcome from the depths of an Autumn suffering UK.
better not be suffering that much ill be home in a week or so
well a week on monday
H