PDA

View Full Version : Attention: Mr. Sir Lionheart

hey_moe
October 12th, 2009, 15:07
Users of Snow Leopard, Apple's latest Operating System, who have the guest account enabled seem to be affected by a rather unpleasant bug, as more (http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=10198726) and more (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2142272&start=0&tstart=0) reports on the Apple Support forums indicate.
Already a few days after its launch back in September users started reporting problems when they logged into the guest account and then back into their normal one. After this settings could be reset and data gone, "as though it were a brand new account."
"The home directory still exists under "/Users/username" but is completely empty (http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/10/11/major-bug-in-snow-leopard-deletes-all-user-data). Users are reporting that the data is unrecoverable and cannot be found anywhere on the hard drive, and the only way to restore it is if the user has been performing backups on a separate hard-drive."
Currently there seem to exist two possible work arounds (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10346974-263.html), though:
"This problem does not happen on my Snow Leopard machine (upgraded from Leopard) upon enabling guest log-in, which suggests one possibility could be some Snow Leopard incompatibility with how the guest log-in was initially enabled. If you had it enabled in Leopard before upgrading and the problem happened without any changes to the guest account settings, then it could be from an incompatible setting between how Leopard and Snow Leopard handle the guest accounts. As such, try going to the Accounts system preferences and toggling the guest log-in setting to see if that refreshes the way the system is handling the guest account.
If you need guest account functionality and do not trust the built-in account because of this problem, for now just create a new non-administrator account (call it "Visitor" if you need a semi-decent alternative name) for use as a guest, and customize restrictions for it with parental controls. In most instances this will work just fine, since the only real difference in behavior for guest accounts is that data and settings are reset upon logout."

Lionheart
October 12th, 2009, 15:15
Thanks Mike.

Dang.... Speechless..

Bill

AckAck
October 12th, 2009, 15:55
Gack! Having a Mac - it's almost like having a ... PC!

Brian

MCDesigns
October 12th, 2009, 16:00
Gack! Having a Mac - it's almost like having a ... PC!

Brian

LMAO! :ernae:

Dangerousdave26
October 12th, 2009, 16:15
Well I could do this all day...

0-22EpQOm8c

and

BBmHgK2GyO8

Lionheart
October 12th, 2009, 16:27
lolololol....

Brilliant, lolol..

I still havent tried out Linux.. arrgh.

Bill

Wing_Z
October 12th, 2009, 18:44
Fascinating, clicking along the filmstrip at the bottom of the YouTube clip...did you know that Apple lifted the original GUI from seeing a demo at Xerox??

FengZ
October 12th, 2009, 19:09
lol, that southpark one is clever...

never tried linux either...tho i've heard good things.

Anyone remember OS/2? I ran that operating system for a while...super stable back in its days...

-feng

paiken
October 12th, 2009, 19:37
Both Apple and Microsoft owe their existence to the Xerox/Parc project back in the 70's. Well documented in print and online. Early Apple HQ actually had a pirate flag flying out front.

Willy
October 12th, 2009, 19:53
OT: Paiken, is that a Catahoula in your avatar? I used to own a registered one that I got down near New Orleans. Great dogs, but one heck of a bad attitude...

Back to topic...

MaddogK
October 12th, 2009, 20:11
Still don't care for the Linux (GUI) but I felt the power of the shell the other day. Brought back some of the warm and fuzzies I felt for DOS long ago. I can't wait to get the new SUSE running on my old IMAC. If only I could find my OS9 disk 'cause Apple cant supply me with one.
:icon_lol:

Chacha
October 12th, 2009, 20:21
Hmm... Interesting...

Haven't tried Linux yet,.. but I heard good report about them...

Stylish, Trendy, Fashionable, Sassy, Sleek.... :applause:

cheezyflier
October 13th, 2009, 04:53
Both Apple and Microsoft owe their existence to the Xerox/Parc project back in the 70's. Well documented in print and online. Early Apple HQ actually had a pirate flag flying out front.

that's kinda funny, when you think about it. they are now one of the more vocal champions of the anti-piracy measures used to protect music and software.

Lionheart
October 13th, 2009, 06:11
If only I could find my OS9 disk 'cause Apple cant supply me with one.
:icon_lol:

There is a ton of parts and supplies available on Ebay. Might give them a try, keep a lookout there for it. Also, check with local Mac tech shops in your area. I have a great shop by me. They have alot of things and keep up on the latest trends and work arounds.

ChaCha,

Sassy? Linux is sassy? :d (just kidding)

The first time I had seen it, was when I was making a payment at the office of my then internet carrier. This guy had his screen up and it had all these wierded out, alien like, wild readouts running. They were running smoothly, which I found bewildering. Usually things stuttered if you had so many things running. I asked what in the world it was, thinking it was a game. He told me it was this OS called Linux, and that it had alot of tweaks and addons done to the software. I was thoroughly impressed.

Bill

Chacha
October 13th, 2009, 10:30
ChaCha,

Sassy? Linux is sassy? :d (just kidding)

The first time I had seen it, was when I was making a payment at the office of my then internet carrier. This guy had his screen up and it had all these wierded out, alien like, wild readouts running. They were running smoothly, which I found bewildering. Usually things stuttered if you had so many things running. I asked what in the world it was, thinking it was a game. He told me it was this OS called Linux, and that it had alot of tweaks and addons done to the software. I was thoroughly impressed.

Bill

Don't judge the book by its cover.... :bump:

I don't know, I have not seen one.... :isadizzy:

paiken
October 13th, 2009, 10:53
OT: Paiken, is that a Catahoula in your avatar? I used to own a registered one that I got down near New Orleans. Great dogs, but one heck of a bad attitude...

Back to topic...
My dog is actually a miniature Dachshund. Thinks he's a rotweiler, but he only weighs 10 lbs. That's his "hard ass" pose he likes to give to strangers.