PDA

View Full Version : Grumman F3F Flying Barrel Flies Again!!

expat
October 12th, 2009, 04:06
Just out of curiosity dropped this FS2002 model into FSX and lo and behold got just about everything to work normally. Had to comment out one gauge but otherwise the VC is much crisper for me than it ever was in FS9. Doing a bit of modding (adding some modern conveniences to the avioncs, tweaking the flight tuning as its a bit overly sensitive in roll and pitch) and generally having a lot of fun cruising up and down Long Island Sound in her.

In case you missed it, Cazzie has done some wonderful new repaints for her, discussed recently over at the FS2004 forum.

Daube
October 12th, 2009, 04:11
Looks nice ! It's good to see how many FS2002 planes work well in FSX, isn't it ? :)
How is the virtual cockpit ?

BOOM
October 12th, 2009, 04:16
Wow!! I can really see where the F4F Wildcat gets it's Grumman family good looks!Never saw this aircraft before,Thanks for posting the great pics.:medals:

Helldiver
October 12th, 2009, 04:58
Boy, you talk about a generation gap. I grew up when these airplanes were flying everywhere and here is this guy who never heard of them.

expat
October 12th, 2009, 05:51
Helldiver, you get at least my admiration - and envy - that you were lucky to live during this fascinating period of aviation. My dad, who died about four years ago, was about your age and he too shared his fond memories of the late 30's pre war naval aviation, e.g F4B-4, F3F etc (He enlisted in the Navy later and went on to become a commissioned officer).

He and I were lucky to meet Leroy Grumman socially in the late '60's - I must have been around 10 - and he joked (somewhat boastfully) how the F3F was so perfectly designed, that the pilot could just lean a little left and she would turn left etc etc.

So some day I may be here saying, "Geesh, this kid here never heard of an F-15 before . . !! " :d

expat
October 12th, 2009, 06:30
Now, those were the days. I am nostalgiac for a time when I wasn't even alive . .

gera
October 12th, 2009, 06:47
love the barrel, going over to the 2002 stuff to look for it.....thanks.

WillKGTF
October 12th, 2009, 10:04
I was thinking only a few days ago about how it would be nice if a developer would do this plane or maybe an f11c Goshawk with current development standards. There just aren't enough biplanes for FSX IMHO, and these planes are really cool.

Cazzie
October 12th, 2009, 10:07
OMG expat, thanks a zillion, finishing my last default texture right now.

In case any of you missed it, I have uploaded a .psd layered paint kit here at SOH, so everybody have some fun. :icon29:

Caz

BOOM
October 12th, 2009, 11:28
Boy, you talk about a generation gap. I grew up when these airplanes were flying everywhere and here is this guy who never heard of them.

Hello Helldiver!!I don't think the Gap between us is that great,Afterall here we both are on the same forum because we both have a love for aircraft and aviation:guinness:
Cheers Sir!

Z-AZ1USN
October 12th, 2009, 12:07
Had to comment out one gauge but otherwise the VC is much crisper for me than it ever was in FS9. Doing a bit of modding (adding some modern conveniences to the avioncs, tweaking the flight tuning as its a bit overly sensitive in roll and pitch) and generally having a lot of fun cruising up and down Long Island Sound in her.

How did you comment out the gauges. Below is what I'm looking at in FSX.
How can I get the gauges to show? Or...what needs to be done...
Thanks

http://i33.tinypic.com/166brya.jpg

expat
October 12th, 2009, 13:52
Hmm. Try going to the AH freestuff section and re-download just the gauges and pop them into your panel folder - that's what I do. Don't think you've got them in your main folder othewise they should register.

The gauge that continued to give a repeated warning on launch (you will see it!) was for the extra.heading indicator or something like that.

expat
October 12th, 2009, 14:01
My 2D panel and VC in FSX using FS2002 files:

italoc
October 13th, 2009, 06:29
Hei Expat
how about upload your textures for the joy of all of us ???:wiggle:

Italo

expat
October 13th, 2009, 06:51
Er, the textures - the exterior paints - are not mine but done by Cazzie. You can find them here in the SOH uploads and discussed over on the FS9 forum.

Regards

expat

gera
October 13th, 2009, 08:18
My 2D panel and VC in FSX using FS2002 files:

which model did you download, the one I found in Flightsim does not show in FSX....can you tell me the zip?:kilroy:

fliger747
October 13th, 2009, 23:07
I did FSX flight dynamics for this at one point a couple of years ago and flew this plane in the London Melbourne race. A fun bird. She should be pretty sensitive in pitch and roll as it is a stubby biplane and was liked by it's pilots for it's aerobatic qualities. Not at home right noe ( in Dubai) so can't pass on any panel ot FD stuff. I think MM and a few others have a copy of the flight dynamics I used. Almost everything showed up except for some parts of the flying wires. Real old Salt did a Gulfhawk paint and I think we did a slightly revised FM for that version as well.

Cheers: T.

expat
October 14th, 2009, 01:14
I did FSX flight dynamics for this at one point a couple of years ago

Thanks - I do vaguely recall that someone did an updated FM for that race. Let's track it down maybe when you return. I already took a bit of sensitivity out of the Flight Tuning - yes, it was a "short wheel base" sensitive/twitchy plane IRL but I found it too much of a Wobbly Goblin to enjoy with the default settings.

which model did you download, the one I found in Flightsim does not show in FSX....can you tell me the zip?

As mentioned, the latest model available is for FS2002, i.e. there isn't even a FS2004 (per se) one, which is why it's kind of fun to see this working in FSX. You need to download it and other bits - all freeware - at the Aeroplane Heaven site:

http://www.heavenlyhangars.com/ahmembers/specials.html

Then trackdown Cazzie's paints - they are designed to just overwrite the default paints - which are fairly recent uploads here at the SOH and also see in several current threads on the SOH FS9 forum.

Hope this is clear. Let me know if people are still having any problems.

expat

italoc
October 14th, 2009, 05:46
Er, the textures - the exterior paints - are not mine but done by Cazzie. You can find them here in the SOH uploads and discussed over on the FS9 forum.

Regards

expat

Sorry, my faulthttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon9.gif: I meant the Panel textures .....

Italo

gera
October 14th, 2009, 05:51
Thanks expat.....

expat
October 14th, 2009, 05:56
Sorry, my faulthttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon9.gif: I meant the Panel textures .....

Italo, once again, these also are not mine and are the default ones that come with the freeware download at the site I posted earlier.

Drzook
November 4th, 2009, 20:17
...Real old Salt did a Gulfhawk paint...
Cheers: T.
I tried to download that one at the SOH library but no joy. Is there an alternative location?:jump:

fliger747
November 4th, 2009, 20:24
ROS and I also did a modified Flight Model for the Gulfhawk... somewhere....

T.

expat
November 5th, 2009, 01:17
ROS and I also did a modified Flight Model for the Gulfhawk... somewhere....

Would be keen to try it out if you manage to dig it up!!