PDA

View Full Version : Paint Shop Pro 9 opening problem

ckissling
October 10th, 2009, 16:34
I had Artweaver & Live picture and uninstalled both, then I installed Paint
Shop Pro 9. When I try to start Paint shop I get an illegal operation note, on the details it comes up-see BMP. How do I go about restoring the the
folders and files that Artweaver or Live Picture got their revenge for being
uninstalled. ckissling

Moparmike
October 11th, 2009, 05:55
Hmm...I've not heard of LivePicture in many years and I'm not familiar with it at all. A quick Google search didn't turn up much of any info on it at all other than a few odd references comparing it to Photoshop (old archive info).

Artweaver...I'm not of much help on that one either. I've looked over their website before, but since it wasn't anything I was interested in I didn't DL & test drive it.

PSP9 was a buggy one for me. It had some nice improvements & additions over PSP8, but I had nothing but problems with it after I bought the upgrade so it got shoved to the back burner. Lots of random program crashes, file save failures, and tools that just plain failed to work when I tried it on both Win2k and WinXP. I went back to PSP8.1 and have stuck with that ever since.

So for myself, there are two unknowns and one buggy program in your dilemma. I'm not of much help...

Can you post a screenshot of the illegal op error dialog window?
Do a PrintScreen button grab and paste it into MSPaint (or any other image software you've got), save it as a JPEG and attach it here. Maybe that will give a few more clues.

ckissling
October 11th, 2009, 08:49
Mike,

This the error that I get, most of my files are not formatted the right way for psp9 to use and I can't seem to get them right. I am using
98SE. ckissling

MaskRider
October 11th, 2009, 10:32
PaintShopPro7: $49 at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Jasc-Paint-Shop-Pro-VERSION/dp/B00005NCJ3)

Works great with 98SE, ME, XP-Pro. Don't know about Vista. I use it with XP-Pro.

Moparmike
October 12th, 2009, 12:16
ckissling,
That looks like a pooched install of PSP9. Have you tried to reinstall it? Was this a CD or download purchase? If it was a download purchase, unpack the installer files again before you reinstall...maybe it was a corrupt download.

I also found one google result on something that might be similar to your situation:

Hate to state something that might be considered basic/simple, but I've got that sort of error message in the past (not FF), from various versions of PSP, when I've forgotten to include the plug-in directory/folder (containing the plug that is returning the error message), in PSP's Folder Locations - in preferences.

I'll check it tomorrow myself (have to reload PSP 9), but just thought it might be something simple/easy to fix.
From http://www.filterforge.com/forum/read.php?TID=172

Dang MR! There are still copies of PSP7 out there to buy? That's getting pretty old already!
I picked up a copy of PSPX2 (12) on sale at Best Buy a couple months ago for $49.99 too. Haven't installed it yet though....PSP9 left a very bad taste in my mouth and I've stuck with PSP8.1 ever since. I saw lots of folks reporting that PSP8/8.1 wasn't working on Vista so I bought X2 for my new OS install. So far PSP8.1 has been working great on Vista64 so I haven't bothered with that copy of X2. DOH!

MaskRider
October 12th, 2009, 13:38
Yep- been using my same old CD copy of PSP7 for I don't know how long. Ever since it came out- using now it on my 3rd computer.

I paid $99 for it when it came out. That was the going price back then.

It was a well spent $99!

MaddogK
October 16th, 2009, 10:09
Never ran it under 98SE, but some other apps (newer ones) under 98SE require some OS updates- like VBruntime (Visual Basic) and C runtime updates to get them to handle those newer DLL libraries. I think I may have copies of them on my dev PC, I'll let you know.

egypt23spitfire
October 29th, 2009, 16:10
.........l;m with you MR my old PSP7(which ive used on 98se,2000,and xp) is currently being used on my dual cpu 8500 4gb XP machine beautifully:ernae:
i also upgraded yrs ago to PSP 9 but had bloat and file saving probs

........BUT CK you can go thrr GIMP road for free

............http://www.gimp.org/downloads/