PDA

View Full Version : Help with installing new ETO Expansion, please.

Remlinger55
September 28th, 2008, 15:07
Hi Folks,

Well, the new ETO Expansion looks wonderful and I'm keen to try it - but unfortunately can't get it to install! I'm very experienced with computers but this one has me beaten. Perhaps it's the unorthodox location I have for CFS3 - F:\CFS3 - which has the install (and me!) fooled.

Anyway, I've had various failed attempts and the installation cannot seem to find CFS3, whatever I tell it, so I must be telling it the wrong things. :redf:

I'd appreciate it if someone (perhaps with a similarly unorthodox installation of CFS3) can talk me through the detail of the installation process. Perhaps this should be by PM so that not everyone can see how I'm probably missing the blitheringly obvious - and no-one else has reported this problem, as far as I can see, so obviously I must be going through a really stupid phase here. Thanks!

Regards,

Remlinger55.

middle
September 28th, 2008, 15:17
You have tyo read the read-me's very carefully. If your location of the ETO and CFS3 is on a differnet drive than the default, C, then there are specific instructions on how to do this. You will have to change the bat files. I will post the read-me here so you can peruse it. Here it is below....

I M P O R T A N T
If your install path is different then the default install path you will have to make modifications to the MASTERETOBSTARTUP.bat file located in the main CFS3 ETO Expansion folder and to the ETOGLSwapper.bat file located in the CFS3 ETO Expansion\global_layer folder.
C A U T I O N
If you start the sim without changing the swappers to your computers install path you will corrupt your era files. If you did, you need to uninstall the associated Era files by manually deleting the existing Era file sets from your theater. Then run the CFS3 ETO Expansion ORIFs Re-Install program to re-install the Original Release Install Files (ORIFs)
See the ERA Files Restore readme for detailed instructions to restore the original Era files.
BAT FILE MODIFICATION:
In Windows Explorer
The batch files have been saved "as read only" files, so you will have to first open up the file properties dialog pulldown and unclick "read only" and click apply to save the change.
DO NOT DOUBLE CLICK THE BATCH FILES TO OPEN. Right click and choose "EDIT".
Next open up each of the 2 individual batch files requiring the changes and make the entry changes as shown in the following examples substituting your install path.
Upon completing each batch file save and then be sure to change the file properties type to "read only". This minimizes possible corruption of the swappers.
MASTER ETO STARTUP.bat file
@ECHO OFF
CLS
CALL ETOEraSwapper.bat
CD "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion\global_layer"
CALL ETOGLSwapper.bat
START cfs3.exe
Example of change:
MASTER ETO STARTUP
@ECHO OFF
CLS
CALL ETOEraSwapper.bat
CD "D:\CFS3 ETO Expansion\global_layer"
CALL ETOGLSwapper.bat
START cfs3.exe
ETOGLSwapper.bat file

@ECHO OFF
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO WELCOME TO THE CFS3 ETO EXPANSION GLOBAL LAYER SWAPPER
ECHO.
ECHO THE CFS3 ETO GLOBAL LAYER SWAPPER WILL NOW CHANGE OUT THE GLOBAL LAYER FILES
ECHO.
PAUSE
ECHO.
:PRESENT
IF NOT EXIST "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion\1945_qclocations.xml" GOTO :1945_ERA
IF NOT EXIST "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion\1944_qclocations.xml" GOTO :1944_ERA
IF NOT EXIST "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion\1943_qclocations.xml" GOTO :1943_ERA
IF NOT EXIST "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion\bob_qclocations.xml" GOTO :BOB_ERA
IF NOT EXIST "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion\1936_qclocations.xml" GOTO :1936_ERA
:1936_ERA
IF NOT EXIST bob_global_layer.csv GOTO BOB_1936GL
IF NOT EXIST 1943_global_layer.csv GOTO 1943_1936GL
IF NOT EXIST 1944_global_layer.csv GOTO 1944_1936GL
IF NOT EXIST 1945_global_layer.csv GOTO 1945_1936GL
IF NOT EXIST 1936_global_layer.csv GOTO END
BOTTOM OF FILE:
:1944_1945GL
REN global_layer.csv 1944_global_layer.csv
REN 1945_global_layer.csv global_layer.csv
REN gsl.lib 1944_gsl.lib
REN 1945_gsl.lib gsl.lib
:END
CD "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion"

Example of Change:
@ECHO OFF
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO WELCOME TO THE CFS3 ETO EXPANSION GLOBAL LAYER SWAPPER
ECHO.
ECHO THE CFS3 ETO GLOBAL LAYER SWAPPER WILL NOW CHANGE OUT THE GLOBAL LAYER FILES
ECHO.
PAUSE
ECHO.
:PRESENT
IF NOT EXIST "D:\CFS3 ETO Expansion\1945_qclocations.xml" GOTO :1945_ERA
IF NOT EXIST "D:\CFS3 ETO Expansion\1944_qclocations.xml" GOTO :1944_ERA
IF NOT EXIST "D:\CFS3 ETO Expansion\1943_qclocations.xml" GOTO :1943_ERA
IF NOT EXIST "D\CFS3 ETO Expansion\bob_qclocations.xml" GOTO :BOB_ERA
IF NOT EXIST "D:\CFS3 ETO Expansion\1936_qclocations.xml" GOTO :1936_ERA
:1936_ERA
IF NOT EXIST bob_global_layer.csv GOTO BOB_1936GL
IF NOT EXIST 1943_global_layer.csv GOTO 1943_1936GL
IF NOT EXIST 1944_global_layer.csv GOTO 1944_1936GL
IF NOT EXIST 1945_global_layer.csv GOTO 1945_1936GL
IF NOT EXIST 1936_global_layer.csv GOTO END
BOTTOM OF FILE:
:1944_1945GL
REN global_layer.csv 1944_global_layer.csv
REN 1945_global_layer.csv global_layer.csv
REN gsl.lib 1944_gsl.lib
REN 1945_gsl.lib gsl.lib
:END
CD "D:\CFS3 ETO Expansion"
Make sure to recheck the "read only" in the file properties section.

You are now ready to start the sim. You can start the theater from the desktop by dbl clicking the CFS3 ETO Start Icon or from within Windows Explorer by dbl clicking MASTERETOSTARTUP batch file.
Once the theater is initiated you will have to make a choice which Era you would like to open. Once made the theater will automatically start loading.

By the way, it doesn't need to be by PM. I'm sure you are no more or no less confused than any of us were during the creation of the ETO Expansion. Plus whatever you learn, someone else is bound to pick up on it so you help them too.
I'm sure at some point that RBP, Our computer problem expert will weigh in soon on your difficulty.

Menawhile, before re-installin plese read-and re-read the pre-install read-me. It covers a lot of this. middle

Remlinger55
September 28th, 2008, 16:12
OK, thanks, Middle. I thought I had read the Read Me closely and tried to follow it but no joy. I'll give it another go and see if it works this time. As it's gone midnight here it's probably a good idea to leave trying it until tomorrow now.

Regards,

Remlinger55.

grizzly50
September 28th, 2008, 16:13
:kilroy:Remlinger55, when you're running the ETO self-installer to install the the ETO Expansion, you have to use that little "Browse" button on the self-installer screen. Then you use it to choose the path you want. I will remind everyone that you also have to have a completely vanilla and properly updated (3.1 and 3.1a) install of CFS3 in order to install ETO. After installation, but before you start the game, you need to edit these two batch files, to reflect the non-default location of ETO: MASTERETOSTARTUP.bat and ETOGLSwapper.bat. The latter is in the global_layer folder. Right-click on each and choose Edit. The pathway that is written into them needs to be changed to reflect the new location, exactly. Do not try to edit this one: ETOEraSwapper.bat.:d

warfreak
September 28th, 2008, 16:14
all I know is that you can edit the bat file by right clicking then click on edit

rbp71854
September 28th, 2008, 16:35
Rem

I always like to ask a few questions 1st to get my bearings.

Do you have your Combat Flight Simulator 3 named CFS3? If you do the batch file that copies your unmodded CFS3 install folders and files will not work. If you have it named CFS3 temporarily rename it to the out of the box name before attempting to install the ETO.

After that just work your way through the different stages of the ETO installer and use the bowse window to change the default install paths to your configuration.

Remlinger55
September 29th, 2008, 04:01
Thanks for the advice, folks. :jump: I'll give it a whirl again later today...

Regards,

Remlinger55.