PDA

View Full Version : Need some advise on dual installs

the soupdragon
October 9th, 2009, 02:19
I have just installed Windows 7 on my PC in a dual boot config with XP. In XP FSX resides in E:\FSX\..........
Now. If I install FSX on the Win 7 install into the same directory (E:\FSX\..... will it overwrite my XP install of FSX? or will it just write the necessary files in Windows 7? I don't really want another entire install of FSX on my PC as it is over 70Gb.
Hope you can understand what I am getting at.

Thanks

SD

harleyman
October 9th, 2009, 02:59
If you have two completely different OS installs, on two completely different partitions, then as far as I know you have to do a full install..

One OS does not share with the other OS..You have to choose what OS the computer boots into when you power it up....

At least as far as I know ...:isadizzy:

gdavej
October 9th, 2009, 03:44
It will definitely overwrite your XP install of FSX, since the FSX installer running in Win7 will be totally oblivious of the XP install. However, I would also guess that, once you complete the install in Win7, FSX will work fine in both OSs, and you will have accomplished your goal of sharing the files between the 2 OSs. But you should be careful when installing add-ons.

dhazelgrove
October 9th, 2009, 04:10
You're making a rod for your own back.

Dave

Dangerous Beans
October 9th, 2009, 11:52
Work fine here.

First I installed in XP and got it up and running.
Then I booted into Win7 and deleted the FSX folder on my games drive and installed again to the same location and got it up and running again.

Most addons work fine in both OS's after only installing them in one OS or the other. Some need to be installed in both useing the same method as the FSX install, FSUIPC for instance.

The only one I havnt been able to get working in both is Active Sky Advanced as activating it in the second OS will void the activation in the first OS.