PDA

View Full Version : Too Quiet!!!

minuteman10
October 7th, 2009, 08:50
~S~...Are there so few of us left that this forum is dying? That would be a real shame....I know that there are alot more of us out there...:wavey: Share your ideas, thoughts, and questions....

Ivan
October 7th, 2009, 11:28
Hey Minuteman,

I HAVE been trying with the Aircraft Painting "Tutorial", but can't get enough time in to make timely substantive postings.

We're still alive!
- Ivan.

minuteman10
October 7th, 2009, 13:53
...been following it...that's quite the setup your using for your tutorial...reminds me of WarGames!

Skyferret
October 7th, 2009, 21:30
I'm still around. Other things on the go here and there. Haven't been flying on line much lately with the 45th because of work schedule.

Just picked up a new puter a while ago. Well, not quite new but it's not bad. I got an Acer with a P4 and a gig of ram. Only has a 40 gig HD, but that will do. It's actually a lease-out that a local computer shop had (a few of them actually). It's actually faster, better, more than what I had. It came with some programs like Soundman.exe as well as some video control utilities and other things my old system didn't have. So it's been a distraction playing with this new system. That's prolly why I haven't really been around for a while.

As for this place, who knows, give it time and maybe it will pick up. There's still a lot of people out there that have a copy of this game that we all came to love over the years. So that means it's still around. Mine's waiting to get installed on this new system any second now. The entire scope of gamers and the next generation of gamers is constantly evolving. Nothing stays the same forever. Though this game has been around for about 12 years, it is inevitable that "we" will not be around forever. We know that there is only a handful of us left in the gaming world who play this game. Some are probably wondering if there is a slow but declining trend. There might be, but we "are" still around.

As for be too quiet here, there's many factors. Some of us may experience changes and events in our personal lives that affect our interest here. For some that may have lost interest altogether and still have a copy of this game, it would be like owning an old car; they don't drive it any more but damned if they will ever sell it and keep it in the garage for as long as they live. I will never part with my copy of this game and I know neither will you. Involvement of this game does reflect the involvement of this forum.

I don't mean to sound too long winded about this, but perhaps my deep analysis of this topic has lifted an eyebrow or two. Here's an idea: If you are visiting this forum, tell us how long you have had this game or what year you obtained it.

Thank you.
The Analytical Ferret of the Sky.

minuteman10
October 8th, 2009, 07:27
...Well put my friend...despite all of the advances...that "old clunker" still goes for a drive every now and then! How many times have we heard..."I found it in a drawer and had to try it out again"? With the myriad of add-ons, the old girl has evolved with time...some amazing bases, Hubba's refuel zones, an armada of ships....the list goes on and on....:ernae:

Skyferret
October 8th, 2009, 16:59
Mine has always been sitting on the "ready to go shelf", but thus is true of how some brush the dust off and relive those countless hours of game play
back in 98 & 99. On rare occurrences, some parents will hand it down to their children who will take an interest in this game. It doesn't happen very often because as we know, the next generation has mainly a preference to games such as WoW or the newest FPS games. Aside from the countless amount of add-ons, most people who do have a copy of CFS1 still laying around are not aware of how user friendly it is. An example of how easy it is to tweak, would be to take a Lear Jet from FS98 and easily place it in your aircraft folder (provided you have a copy of that game).

I will admit that I have been preoccupied with other events, away from my desk as well as the internet, that have distracted my interest in this game and have lead me astray from this forum. I think I just need to install it in my new system and get back in the cockpit. Though cybe-space is vast, perhaps we could all make an effort to mention this forum on other websites such as social networking places. It may be analogous to throwing bricks into the Grand Canyon, but it could be worth the effort.

One thing I forgot to mention when it comes to how things evolve. As much as I don't like to think about it, this game could some day become obsolete. Operating systems, file formatting and hardware are constantly changing. In another 10 years from now, the dll's and api's of this game may not be recognized at all. It could be patchable, but how seamless is another thing. This also means that we best hang on to our XP machines. A prime example of the predetermined obsolescence, is when you look at new software on the shelves and it says "XP and Vista only." So if you have a 2000 machine, forget it.

As for CFS1, we're still around for a while and we don't plan on leaving. I salute people like Hubba who have retained their passion for this game after all these years. He's one who puts a lot of effort into it. I'm sure there's others who do as well. Hats off to them as well.

~Sky~

Limy
October 10th, 2009, 11:58
~S~ All,
I don't post here as a rule but felt that it should be known that I've now got my grandchildren (aged 7 & 9) started on CFS1. Control stick for birthday present etc. Hoping they will go on-line when they've had little more practice. Funny how they seem to appreciate the WW2 ethos if it's presented to them in the right way. May not be 'politically correct' in the UK at present but ..... What the h***.

Looking at the Teamspeak viewer, I'm always surprised how many are actually flying on-line but it's the shear number of games that spreads them out pretty thinly. My admiration goes to those who keep the game fresh and the company so welcoming.
Limy

minuteman10
October 10th, 2009, 14:21
~S~ Limy...They will probably be kicking our 6's before long...How embarassing is that?!?:173go1: