PDA

View Full Version : Setting pivot points in animation...

Daycab
October 6th, 2009, 14:38
Ok, let the relentless pestering of honest hardworking members begin... :)

First, let me preface this by saying I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about here, so if I am way off base, please let me know. I want to set the pivot for my Starboard aileron so I can start keyframing it, but can't get it right. I went to Hierarchy/Pivot/Adjust Pivot and selected 'Affect Pivot Only.' Then I aligned the Gizmo in the top view and the back view as in the first two pictures, but I still get it messed up like in the third when I rotate it with the transform Gizmo.

Am I even on the right track here?

daycab...

Milton Shupe
October 6th, 2009, 15:21
Hi Daycab,

The only thing I can see missing in the explanation is that you must use the LOCAL COORDINATE not the VIEW system pivot.

Each time you select a different tool (move, rotate) you must check to see that the LOCAL coordinate is selected.

Then align the pivot on all three axes with the object at the pivot center.

Here's part of my tutorial series on wings and parts:

http://www.flightsimonline.com/C162/wing3/wing3.htm

And here we discuss animations (FS9):

http://www.flightsimonline.com/C162/anim/index.htm

I hope this helps ... but keep asking if not. :)

N2056
October 6th, 2009, 15:24
Try this...should work for you

1. Get the aileron back in it's "neutral" position.

2. Create a new line the length of the aileron that is where you want the
'hinge line". Choose "Display Mesh", give it 3 sides & dial the radius way down so that it is buried in the aileron.

3. Link the aileron to the 'pivot rod' you just made.

4. Animate the rod (here is where the 'local' thing Milton mentioned is key!). If you drew it accurately the animation should be correct.

Good Luck!

hairyspin
October 6th, 2009, 22:05
Your second pic, Front view, shows the pivot is not aligned along the aileron in that view, so pic number three shows exactly the result to expect if that's the case.

When doing this, it helps to crank the gizmo size up a lot to see better how well you're aligned. I see you're using Max, but in gMax the minus and equals keys on the main keyboard adjust this.

Using the Local coordinate method is of course essential - it's on the toolbar at the top of your screen.
HTH

Daycab
October 6th, 2009, 23:51
Thanks guys, that seems to have done it. Just the beginning of the animation journey here... :)

And Milton, as long as I have your ear, thanks for making the Spartan. It's probably one of the most beautiful planes ever, and it's good to see an excellent model of one since I can't afford the hundreds of thousands for the real deal. :applause:

daycab

Milton Shupe
October 7th, 2009, 04:36
LOL Daycab ... happy that we could help. :applause:

Daycab
October 7th, 2009, 05:21
The first time I saw one was at Airventure. I didn't know what it was, but I fell in love with it on the spot. If it had been a woman, my wife would have smacked me for touching it that way... :D

BTW, I'm not getting any images in that second tutorial...

daycab

hairyspin
October 7th, 2009, 10:45
I don't know which sim you're building for, but read the relevant SDK to make sure you need to keyframe the aileron animation. CFS3, which I build for, handles the animation itself and all that's needed is to make sure the pivot is aligned and oriented correctly - green to go forward, red to the right and blue sky is up is how I remember it.

MaddogK
October 16th, 2009, 10:00
Hmm, never had to keyframe aileron animations for CFS2 of FS9. Are you using the correct part 'tag' for your control surfaces ? The only thing I've ever had to keyframe was canopy and gear animations, but it's been a while.
IIRC theres a part tag plugin for Gmax floating around, I'll look for mine when I get home and send it to you.

N2056
October 16th, 2009, 14:51
Maddogk, he's working to FSX rules...you guys have it easy! :d

Daycab
October 16th, 2009, 18:58
Maddogk, he's working to FSX rules...you guys have it easy! :d

I think I was getting a bit ahead of myself. I need to finish up texturing and make sure I have that down before I move on...:monkies:

daycab

hairyspin
October 16th, 2009, 23:45
Ailerons are keyframed in FSX? Hmmm. spring-tab ailerons..... heh heh heh!

n4gix
October 17th, 2009, 10:39
Ailerons are keyframed in FSX? Hmmm. spring-tab ailerons..... heh heh heh!
EVERYTHING is keyframed in FSX... no exceptions!

hairyspin
October 17th, 2009, 11:06
Everything? Thanks for the warning, I've still to get FSX! (thought I do see prices on the Gold edition coming down...)

Daycab
October 17th, 2009, 11:08
When you keyframe ailerons, do you do them both at the same time and alternate directions or just one at a time?

n4gix
October 17th, 2009, 19:02
When you keyframe ailerons, do you do them both at the same time and alternate directions or just one at a time?

1. From the left viewport, have the left aileron selected.

2. Move the slider to 50 and insert a rotation key.

3. Move the slider to 0, and rotate the l_aileron DOWN by xx degrees

4. Move the slider back to 50

5. Click the Animate button, and rotate the l_aileron UP by xx degrees, turn off the Animate button.

6. Move the slider to 100

7. Click the Animate button, and rotate the l_aileron UP by xx degrees, turn off the Animate button.

8. Repeat steps 1-7 for the r_aileron, and substitute UP for DOWN, and vice-versa.
Time elapsed, 45 seconds... :ernae: