PDA

View Full Version : MacRobertson London to Melbourne Entry thread

Willy
October 5th, 2009, 17:43
Okay guys n gals. Here's where you make your entry into the race. Make sure you read the rules first and put in what class and what aircraft.

Willy
October 5th, 2009, 17:47
I'll go first...

I'm entering in both the Golden Age and Modern GA classes

1st, I'm entering in the Modern GA class and flying the FSD Cessna 337H Skymaster. The Cessna Skymaster is an excellent light twin with a unique pull/push centerline thrust arrangement of it's engines. I'll be flying N4AQ which is a r/l paint scheme on a 337. This aircraft is known among Merc Air's Flight 19 as the "CDM" or Cessna Death Machine.

2nd, I'm entering in the Golden Age class and flying the Tom Eads Granville (Gee Bee) R-6H "Q.E.D." This was the last of the Granville racers and was special built for the 1934 MacRobertson and in her special "Lucky Strike" green paint was flown by Miss Jackie Cochrane in the race. She dropped out in Bucharest due to mechanical trouble. The QED was plagued for the rest of it's career with problems that prevented it from winning any races but did set a Mexico City to NYC speed record in 1939 flown by Mexican aviator Francisco Serabia. It is the only Gee Bee R series aircraft to survive and is currently in a museum in Lerdo Mexico. ETA: Every time we run this race, I try it in the QED. So far I've made it as far as Bagdad one time. :d

Pictures taken at Merc Air's secret HQ in Rochford England where Merc Air is providing support to these aircraft in preparation for the race.

Hope to see yall in my rear view mirror ;)

srgalahad
October 5th, 2009, 21:50
I'll go first...

Hope to see yall in my rear view mirror ;)

Mirrors?? Yeah.. I hear they put a couple on the Mixmaster so the pilot could watch the rear engine fail... the GB?? prolly so he could see the crash wagons approaching... Oh well, we can all dream:icon_lol:

Good luck Willy!

buzzbee
October 6th, 2009, 19:01
Tossing my ring into the hat flying a classic.

Buzzbee - Spartan Executive

I may be back to enter a GA as a team if I can round up some support.

Cheers and Thanks to the Race Committee for the effort to put this event on!

Vicious
October 6th, 2009, 21:32
Count me in as well in the GA class flying the GeeBee QED. It's time to show what this bird could have really done if it finished the race.

salt_air
October 8th, 2009, 04:28
Another Spartan Executive is entering the race as of this post.

A GA entry TBA after some more research.

Good Luck everyone!

Tally Ho.........

Highmike
October 8th, 2009, 14:41
I'll be entering the Golden Age class in a Spartan also. I was considering entering in a Gee Bee Z, but it's range is dismal and so I've decided not to.

Spartan Ho!

Great Ozzie
October 8th, 2009, 16:04
Golden Age Aircraft Entry is the DH.88 Comet "Reine Astrid" G-ACSR (FSX de Havilland Comet Package by David Grindele).

Modern GA Aircraft Entry is the Flight1 Pilatus PC-12 sporting the Red Bull/Sauber F1 Race Colors by "Butch, via the kind folks at AussieX." It's flying under Swiss Registry HB-FOT.

salt_air
October 8th, 2009, 17:44
Golden Age Aircraft Entry is the DH.88 Comet "Reine Astrid" G-ACSR (FSX de Havilland Comet Package by David Grindele).

Modern GA Aircraft Entry is the Flight1 Pilatus PC-12 sporting the Red Bull/Sauber F1 Race Colors by "Butch, via the kind folks at AussieX." It's flying under Swiss Registry HB-FOT.

Very Impressive Rob! I was looking at entering that very plane (Comet).

Second thoughts about the length of some of the legs,,,,,that's a long time to "tend" the stick.

Hat's off to ya! That will be quite a piece of work when you're done.

Cheers,

Dangerousdave26
October 8th, 2009, 19:30
Very
Second thoughts about the length of some of the legs,,,,,that's a long time to "tend" the stick.

Hat's off to ya! That will be quite a piece of work when you're done.

Cheers,

I will say that at least in my Sim the Comet has always Trimmed out real nice...

Just make the Pee Breaks short.

Dave

Great Ozzie
October 8th, 2009, 21:17
Thanks salt_air... but since I'm required to carry an extra 170lbs of ballast in the aft seat, he'll be doing much of the flying. :-P

The greater challenge for me will be during low speeds with a significant x-wind ( >60° & > 10-15kts during the initial takeoff roll and shortly after the tail drops on a wheel landing)... something I will try to avoid like the proverbial plague. You'll probably agree things can get quite squirrely in a hurry; the only "near fool-proof" way for me to avoid a merry-go-round ride is with differential throttle. I think I'd prefer a near zero-zero viz landing with zero winds to it being severe clear and have a 15kt 90° x-wind.

At any rate, yes, I am very excited about this race (like a kid at Christmas) and thankful the Race Committee put this one together. We had quite a few magnificent crews for Evita and hoping the same here. :ernae:

salt_air
October 9th, 2009, 04:27
Thanks salt_air... but since I'm required to carry an extra 170lbs of ballast in the aft seat, he'll be doing much of the flying. :-P

The greater challenge for me will be during low speeds with a significant x-wind ( >60° & > 10-15kts during the initial takeoff roll and shortly after the tail drops on a wheel landing)... something I will try to avoid like the proverbial plague. You'll probably agree things can get quite squirrely in a hurry; the only "near fool-proof" way for me to avoid a merry-go-round ride is with differential throttle. I think I'd prefer a near zero-zero viz landing with zero winds to it being severe clear and have a 15kt 90° x-wind.

At any rate, yes, I am very excited about this race (like a kid at Christmas) and thankful the Race Committee put this one together. We had quite a few magnificent crews for Evita and hoping the same here. :ernae:

Totally understand and agree on all points Rob.

Dave makes a good point too! Still a long way to stay focused and at the ready.

I'd only add that I've flown this bird as baton or wing in the all of the past RTW's that I was a part of, and that would be the only time I would event think of running the duenna at the same time....:isadizzy:.

Only way I was able to cut way down on the "squirrel factor" on take offs and landings was to pay no attention to existing runways and fly directly into whatever wind was present cutting across runways, taxiways, sidewalks or whatever,,,,just no buildings or trees....:blind:

Maybe it's just me, but I think it handles better in the dirt and grass than it does on hard surfaces.

I've still gotta give you extra credit for this effort!

salt_air
October 9th, 2009, 04:31
Another Spartan Executive is entering the race as of this post.

A GA entry TBA after some more research.

Good Luck everyone!

Tally Ho.........

I need to resend this entry to ammend the specified aircraft.

My appologies to the committe for the confusion.

Will repost later.

Thanks!,

arrvoo
October 9th, 2009, 04:53
I too was planning on flying the Spartan (as i did last year but unfortunately wasn't able to complete) but as we have a few of these already i'm going for the Savoia Marchetti SM.79. Seem to have it setup nicely in FSX now and am going to spend the next week practicing.

If i have time afterwards i'll be flying the Beech Duke in the GA class.

Thanks again for the, as always, wonderful organisation guys.

MM
October 9th, 2009, 07:01
The Percival Mew Gull deserves its spot in the sun. The small lightweight racer stood at the head of the class in British handicap racing during the 1930s. This particular ship, G-AEXF, was built in 1936 for the Schlesinger Portsmouth-Johannesburg race but had to drop out at Belgrade. It was sold, and then swapped to the very young Alex Henshaw. In this plane, Henshaw raced competitively through the 1937 season and won the 1938 Kings Cup. This model represents the Essex Aero modification with an older Gipsy 6 engine and added fuel tanks—in which Henshaw set the record connecting England-South Africa. For many, this is the most charismatic of British racing aircraft.

Henshaw himself was a remarkable figure. Reputed to be the best pilot of his generation, he won a number of air races in his early twenties. And then he became the chief production test pilot for wartime Spitfires—several times having to escape from faulty aircraft. Later in his life, he wrote The Flight of the Mew Gull and Sigh for a Merlin, both of which met enthusiastic critical review.

I'll enter this in the Golden Age class. (Pending the engineering to port over to FSX: this is a very old FS2004 model—and there remain a few kinks to work out.) This effort will serve as a tribute to a pair of aviation legends: the Mew Gull and Alex Henshaw.

(After this white knuckle ride, I'm planning to parallel Harvey in a smooth comfortable Beech Duke for the GA milk run.)

Bry Rosier
October 9th, 2009, 07:09
I would like to register for this Race also :jump: I also plan to fly the Savoia Marchetti SM.79 on FSX in the Golden Age race . It was a close choice between this and the Staggerwing .
I also hope to fly the PC-12 or Cirrus CR22Turbo in the GA race . I also extend my thanks to the race organisers for all your , much appreciated , hard work :ernae:

Mike I managed to get Lee Halls P6 MewGull into FSX ok with a few panel tweaks , nice plane :)

Unable to find the E3H :( as link is down at the outhouse :( Would have been nice to compare the two

RedGreen
October 10th, 2009, 04:39
I would like to announce the entry of Team United into the 2009 MacRobertson Race in the Golden Age Category. Team United shall consist of several members from the Flightsim.com Multi-Player Adventures group.

Our current (tenative and subject to change) roster consists of:

1) Myself
2) DHC120 Charles
3) EdGeneer

Our airplane will be the Boeing 247D in the United Airlines "City of Oakland" paint scheme.

Our compliments to the Race Committee for taking the time and effort to put this together!

srgalahad
October 10th, 2009, 07:17
The Percival Mew Gull deserves its spot in the sun. The small lightweight racer stood at the head of the class in British handicap racing during the 1930s.

(After this white knuckle ride, I'm planning to parallel Harvey in a smooth comfortable Beech Duke for the GA milk run.)

I looked at the Mew Gull too Mike. In fact it's still on the 'possible' list. It is indeed a mite twitchy at first, esp. with the long range fuel tanks full but after an hour of touch-and-goes it felt better (pilot notes are "Classified").

Never know.. learning now may be rewarded at a later date, elsewhere in the world...

Willy
October 10th, 2009, 10:46
RedGreen, Jens did a livery of the B247 in Roscoe Turner's paint scheme from the 1934 race. It'd be pretty cool to fly that one.

Edit: I thought I had it in the hanger...

menekod28
October 10th, 2009, 12:12
Mandrake von Wrecktoften, the Dead Baron, enters a MAAM DC-3 passenger liner in the Ozark Airlines livery into the Golden Age category for the glory of the Kaiser (retired).

PRB
October 10th, 2009, 13:09
I am pleased to announce the entry of the first of the Lockheed 9D Orion aircraft into this little jaunt, which I borrowed from a vacant lot... Well, sort of vacant. Good luck to all!

Vicious
October 11th, 2009, 15:32
Here's a quick pic of the R6 on a quick test flight after leaving the paint shop. Now on to the instrumentation hangar for some needed upgrades and then some test hops before the race. It should be fun!

falcon409
October 12th, 2009, 11:33
I will also be entering the race in the "Golden Age Class" and flying the DH.88 Comet "Black Magic". Looking forward to this a lot.

salt_air
October 12th, 2009, 15:16
This is my official entry for the "Golden Age Class".

I have decided to fly the default Lockheed Vega "Lituanica II".

This livery in memory of the two pilots, needlessly shot down over Germany in 1933 after completing there flight across the Atlantic, but before they could reach home in Kaunas (Lithuania).

The real "Litunaica II" was flown in September of 1935 in a commemoration of their tragic transatlantic flight.

Steponas Darius and Stasys Girenas may well have entered and placed nicely in this very event in 1934 had they not been killed the year before.

Good Luck to All!

AussieMan
October 12th, 2009, 18:24
My official entry.

Hope to fly the Puss Moth and the Uiver DC-2 or Boeing 247.

Cheers
Pat

txnetcop
October 13th, 2009, 02:41
I'm hoping to be available this time. The PUSS MOTH team
Ted

EdGeneer
October 13th, 2009, 16:57
I would like to put my hat in this here jaunt...

For the Golden Era class, I will be flying the Default DC-3 w/ the allowed Mark Beaumont Avionics. He did add a 4th tank, which is allowed in the RR version. His DC-3 Came with this mod, please let me know if this is not ok...

I took Trev Morson's Panel and stripped it of modern avionics (except the center compass) No GPS, No ILS, No VOR Capability. Put in Default DC-3 Dual ADF Gauge and Radios. Will be adding a E-6B and other old time drifmeters/computers.

Painted it "The Mischief Marie" (If ya knew my wife, you would understand :) )

I will be bringing 4 passengers, 5 cases of beer, 2 cases of wine, 2 bottles of Bailey's Irish Creme, and 14 cases of nearly ripe haas avocados.... (And not necessarily in that order)

Please let me know if there is anything wrong with this entry....

I changed my mind, and want to try this solo, so I will not be participating in Red Green's Team United 247D Team Flight posted earlier.

Dangerousdave26
October 13th, 2009, 17:26
I will be bringing 4 passengers, 5 cases of beer, 2 cases of wine, 2 bottles of Bailey's Irish Creme, and 14 cases of nearly ripe haas avocados.... (And not necessarily in that order)

For as long as I can Maintain Altitude I will be Flying behind Ed...

:icon29: BBBUUUURRRRPPPPP!!!!!

and if I come down I will be getting another bottle of Wine. :icon_lol:

Willy
October 13th, 2009, 17:35
Actually, I thought he's traveling awful light on the refreshments.

srgalahad
October 13th, 2009, 18:16

Wrong:
4 pax (unnecessary burden and they whine)
5 cases of beer?? that's only ONE per mandatory stop!! think of the Race Committee man!!
2 cases of wine ( 24 bottles...) that's only a bottle per day.. what about the other meals enroute ??? (Air France used to let their pilots have wine with the crew meal!)
2 bottles of Bailey's - you think that'll be enough to keep the copilot quiet?????? for 11,000 miles???

EdGeneer
October 13th, 2009, 18:29
Wrong:
4 pax (unnecessary burden and they whine)
5 cases of beer?? that's only ONE per mandatory stop!! think of the Race Committee man!!
2 cases of wine ( 24 bottles...) that's only a bottle per day.. what about the other meals enroute ??? (Air France used to let their pilots have wine with the crew meal!)
2 bottles of Bailey's - you think that'll be enough to keep the copilot quiet?????? for 11,000 miles???

Oh, perhaps I wasnt clear.... "I" will be bringing.... I dont know what the co-pilot is gunna drink, or the 4 lovely ladies we brought along for... um, moral and spiritual support.... :D

BTW: I cant get either sets of the sperry autopilot gauges to control the plane.... I dont know what im doing wrong.... I assume its illegal to use a std autopilot and hdg bug?

DHC120
October 13th, 2009, 19:11
I would like to put my hat in this here jaunt...

For the Golden Era class, I will be flying the Default DC-3 w/ the allowed Mark Beaumont Avionics. He did add a 4th tank, which is allowed in the RR version. His DC-3 Came with this mod, please let me know if this is not ok...

Ed G;
What in the hell are the Avacados for? You gonna throw them at hostiles if you land at an incorrect airport? ;-}
Charles.

Dangerousdave26
October 13th, 2009, 20:18
BTW: I cant get either sets of the sperry autopilot gauges to control the plane.... I dont know what im doing wrong.... I assume its illegal to use a std autopilot and hdg bug?

Just a guess Ed but have you tried coping the [autopilot] section of the aircraft you took it out of into the aircraft you are putting it in?

It could be a setting in the auto that it does not like.

There should be no problem with using a modern Auto pilot as long as you don't activate the NAV settings to track VOR, ADF or GPS.

That statement of course comes from someone not in the committee they can correct me if I am wrong.

Dave

Willy
October 13th, 2009, 20:42
Dave has it correct. My Golden Age entry just has a couple of switches. One for altitude and the other for heading hold. I also use a heading gauge with a bug for fine tuning on the heading. The altitude, I just get "reasonably close".

With only one case of beer per compulsory stop, the race inspectors at each stop will be very cranky.

Don't forget you'll need the appropriate "baksheesh" at every stop.

EdGeneer
October 13th, 2009, 20:51
Just a guess Ed but have you tried coping the [autopilot] section of the aircraft you took it out of into the aircraft you are putting it in?

Thats exactly what it was... I tried switching all the gauges out, tried three different sets of Sperry's, then I thought, well, why does it work in the default... so I looked in the default aircraft.cfg and compaired the autopilot sections, they looked really close except for the last two lines. Default Bank Mode and Default Pitch Mode were set to 0 in the a/c i was trying to use it in... SO I just copied the autopilot section from the default dc3 and voila!

Thanks for suggesting it anyways, because if i didnt try it already, I would have after reading this :)

salt_air
October 14th, 2009, 04:20
Welcome to the Frenzy Ed!, :applause:

Sounds like your usual cargo for trips like this....

[NOTE]: If anyone should see Ed on the course, I strongly suggest passing not on the right or left , but over the top. Trust me you don't want to be behind him at the same altitude. The steady trail of cans, bottles and various snack wrappers will be a tempting trail to follow even in low vis, but in the long run will prove to not be worth it. :isadizzy:

Good Luck buddy! :ernae:

srgalahad
October 14th, 2009, 06:33
Oh, perhaps I wasnt clear....
For the Golden Era class, I will be flying the Default DC-3 w/..."I" will be bringing.... I dont know what the co-pilot is gunna drink, or the 4 lovely ladies we brought along for... um, moral and spiritual support.... :D

Gonna keep an eye on this one...
It reminds me of the plan we hatched one day, sitting in the cold and snow and zero vis while waiting for the runways to be cleared, of buying a DC-3, restoring it to "DST" configuration and taking it out to the arctic mining and exploration camps on "Morale and Recreation Tours".

"Douglas' Dollies - Support for the Mining Industry and Its Workers"

Ed, you'd best be careful with customs at some of those enroute stops...

Rob

Moses03
October 14th, 2009, 09:33
Quick recap of who is flying what so far (in order of post):

Willy, Gee Bee R-6H/Vintage, Cessna 337H/Modern

Buzzbee, Spartan Executive/Vintage

Vicious, Gee Bee R-6H/Vintage

salt_air, Lockheed Vega/Vintage

Highmike, Spartan Executive/Vintage

Great Ozzie, De Havilland DH.88/Vintage, Pilatus PC-12/Modern

arrvoo, Savoia-Marchetti SM.79/Vintage, Beech Duke/Modern

MM, Percival Mew Gull/Vintage, Beech Duke/Modern

Bry Rosier, Savoia-Marchetti SM.79/Vintage, Pilatus PC-12 or Cirrus CR22/Modern

RedGreen/DHC120 Charles, Boeing 247/Vintage

menekod28, Douglas DC-3/Vintage

PRB, Lockheed 9 Orion/Vintage

falcon409, De Havilland DH.88/Vintage

AussieMan, De Havilland DH.80A, Douglas DC-2, or Boeing 247 (undecided)/Vintage

txnetcop, De Havilland DH.80A/Vintage (as part of Team Melrose)*

EdGeneer, Douglas DC-3/Vintage

*Several will be part of "Team Melrose" along with txnetcop.

I have a couple I'm looking at currently. One is in the paint shop and hope to have it back by the weekend.

SWSucceed
October 14th, 2009, 13:27
Hi
As a former member of FS-MP who took part in the RTW2008 race I am hoping to make an entry in the modern class, looking at my all-time favourite Cessna C441 Conquest.

The FS-MP RTW Team is dis-assembled due to the closure of FS-MP as it once was, and has re-assembled over various FSX communities.

I will represent the new Aspire FSX Community, at http://aspirefsx.com and hope to be accepted, and maybe bring others into the race as well.

We have a teamspeak and dedicated multiplayer server on our own networks and you are welcome to utilise it as you wish. Details for for connection details are in the forum at http://aspirefsx.com

We would fly our legs there (as indeed you may like too as well) unless of course a specific server is specified.

Thank you for considering our application!!

Spookster67
October 14th, 2009, 13:41
Hi
As a former member of FS-MP who took part in the RTW2008 race I am hoping to make an entry in the modern class, looking at my all-time favourite Cessna C441 Conquest.

The FS-MP RTW Team is dis-assembled due to the closure of FS-MP as it once was, and has re-assembled over various FSX communities.

I will represent the new Aspire FSX Community, at http://aspirefsx.com and hope to be accepted, and maybe bring others into the race as well.

We have a teamspeak and dedicated multiplayer server on our own networks and you are welcome to utilise it as you wish. Details for for connection details are in the forum at http://aspirefsx.com

We would fly our legs there (as indeed you may like too as well) unless of course a specific server is specified.

Thank you for considering our application!!

Hi Stuart,

In the aircraft performance thread (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=269500)I've posted that we need to get the C441 tested. It may be too fast (over 270 knots TAS). If so, we'll have to fly something else - maybe another Goose adventure?! The Goose is an eligible Golden Age aircraft...

Regards, Martin.

Willy
October 14th, 2009, 13:53
You can fly either online or offline. If online, just use the server of your choice. I know several of us are planning to use the MAPE server ( mape.gotdns.org ). Unless I get too lonely, I'll be there.

EdGeneer
October 14th, 2009, 18:34
I know there is an fshost server for the race, but is there a teamspeak server with a unicom channel for the pilots as well??? (if this has been discussed, i apologize for my ignorance)

we 'should' have a common voice server somewhere to meet on for pilot enjoyment, communication, and a general live place to meet just before and during the race, to have a general unicom.

Thoughts?

Willy
October 14th, 2009, 20:08
We haven't been running voice coms on the MAPE server as most of us there usually take our chances with "death by chatbox". I'm thinking Dangerous Dave might know something about a teamspeak server.

salt_air
October 15th, 2009, 06:45
We haven't been running voice coms on the MAPE server as most of us there usually take our chances with "death by chatbox". I'm thinking Dangerous Dave might know something about a teamspeak server.

Hey Willy,

We could use FlightSim's TS server (nobody else does).

I can create a seperate channel or two and tie it down with a password if needed.

Just gimme a hollar........HEY BOY!!!....you know like that...:icon_lol:

Best,

Dangerousdave26
October 15th, 2009, 06:51
Hey Willy,

We could use FlightSim's TS server (nobody else does).

I can create a seperate channel or two and tie it down with a password if needed.

Just gimme a hollar........HEY BOY!!!....you know like that...:icon_lol:

Best,

That would be best

My server can not handle a large load.

Its good for an afternoon of flights with 4 or 5 people after that it gets over loaded.

The DSL just can not handle the load.

See what you can do to set it up salt_air

salt_air
October 15th, 2009, 07:05
Just sent an emil to the forum Moderator,,,,,should hear back soon.

But I'm sure we can.

Will advise,

simondix
October 15th, 2009, 13:08
I will be entering the Golden Age Class. I will be flying the MAAM SIM DC3

Willy
October 15th, 2009, 15:25
Change in Aircraft...

In the Golden Age class, I'll be flying Milton Shupe's Beech 18 cargo variant. Too much opportunity on a flight from England to Australia to not make a little change in the "import-export" business... :d

srgalahad
October 15th, 2009, 16:42
You gonna have some theme music playing while you fly Willy? Like maybe that rock group Guns'n'Poppies?

Willy
October 15th, 2009, 16:53
The "8-track" is on the pre-flight non-checklist ;)

RFields
October 15th, 2009, 18:34
Right now I'm planning on the SM.79 for the classic. But I've had some testing issues, might drop back to the Dh-88.

We will see on takeoff which makes the starting line.

salt_air
October 15th, 2009, 18:35
That would be best

My server can not handle a large load.

Its good for an afternoon of flights with 4 or 5 people after that it gets over loaded.

The DSL just can not handle the load.

See what you can do to set it up salt_air

It's a done deal Dave,,,,,say that three times real fast,,,,

68.47.50.131:8768 ....not the default port.

Not expecting too much traffic,,,,I've set up a MacRobertson Race channel.

If anyone see's the need for any other adjustments like a password or a sub-channel or another channel altogether then just shoot me a PM.

Milton Shupe
October 15th, 2009, 20:01
Trying a test connection but the server will not accept it.

Is there a password?

EDIT: Never mind :) I found if you put in a log in name, it expects a password. No need for a log in name

EdGeneer
October 15th, 2009, 21:01
Shouldnt need a password, make sure to use the port, and select anonymous login...

SWSucceed
October 16th, 2009, 14:27
Hi Stuart,

In the aircraft performance thread (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=269500)I've posted that we need to get the C441 tested. It may be too fast (over 270 knots TAS). If so, we'll have to fly something else - maybe another Goose adventure?! The Goose is an eligible Golden Age aircraft...

Regards, Martin.
Thanks :) Just fly it slower lol! Look forward to a TS chat soon about it, Roger and Andrew are showing interest tonite when we met but we held off talking it over without you, Mr Guru :)

Moses03
October 16th, 2009, 19:44
I am entering the Golden Age Class flying the Lockheed Model 14, Super Electra "NC17395".

Designed to compete with the Douglas DC-2, the Model 14 introduced a number of significant features but in the end could not operate as economically as the Douglas airliners. The type quickly disappeared from the scene in the postwar years but it's legacy lived on with the more successful Hudson, Lodestar, Ventura and Harpoon.

As time permits I will also be helping out with "Team Melrose".

Willy
October 16th, 2009, 19:55
Glad to see virtual Lockheed has come through for you Moses!

salt_air
October 17th, 2009, 11:01
A great aircraft Moses, and a great pilot too.

You should fare well. :wavey:

Best,

DHC120
October 17th, 2009, 14:30
I would like to announce the entry of Team United into the 2009 MacRobertson Race in the Golden Age Category. Team United shall consist of several members from the Flightsim.com Multi-Player Adventures group.

Our current (tenative and subject to change) roster consists of:

1) Myself
2) DHC120 Charles
3) EdGeneer

Our airplane will be the Boeing 247D in the United Airlines "City of Oakland" paint scheme.

Our compliments to the Race Committee for taking the time and effort to put this together!

MacRobertson Event/SOH Officials;
Just to make it an "official" entry into the "Golden Era" segment, I will be flying with the Flight Sim MultiPlayer Adventures (FSMPA) "Team United" (or is that "Team Ignited"?)
It is my understanding, and is subject to change, that, at this moment in time, "Team United" consists of;
(1) Red-Green.
(2) DHC120-Charles.
(Volunteer Pilots Wanted.. being sane and/or sober is an option!)
Charles.

Highmike
October 17th, 2009, 15:15
In addition to my entry in the Golden Age Classic I'm entering my DA Cheyenne IA in the General Aviation class. I'd also like to thank the committee for updating the speed tests and Handicap System!

Piper Ho!

java2srv
October 17th, 2009, 16:25
NC17395
Just curious about the Super Electra. Is that the AlphaSim model or is that the SOH CFS2 (Paul Straney (pstrany)/Dave Carroll FS2002) aircraft? Also could not locate Fliger747's flight dynamics update listed in the 17 October spreadsheet for the Model 14.

Thanks,
Wish I was coming along, good luck to all!
Jack
:wavey:

EasyEd
October 17th, 2009, 18:14
Hey All,

Well I'll go ahead and enter both races with the hope of getting at least one to the finish line!

My entry for the Traditional race is the ME-108 - call sign - D-EMET I have to fly this old plane. :bump:

My entry for the modern race is the Flight1 PC-12 - an absolute favorite of mine.

-Ed-

Moses03
October 17th, 2009, 20:26
Jack- This is the Paul Straney model. Fliger747 did an updated FM for it that was never uploaded. If you or anyone else would like to try it out, please PM me. Fliger said it was okay to release it.

java2srv
October 18th, 2009, 05:24
NC17395
Hi Moses, thanks for your reply! I will get a PM sent over.

I was watching the entry thread (this thread) pretty much like I think the public would watch the newspapers 75 years ago to see who'd be taking up the challenge and the marvels of aviation they'd be flying.

And I was also looking at the 17 October spreadsheet -- the Super Electra is right alongside the Spartan for the race distance reference time.

The Golden Age Aircraft spreadsheet makes for some interesting history comparing all the aircraft of the era. We get a lot of grief about our flight simulator "game" but I don't know of a lot of other computer games that teach history this way. Technology (a lot different then than now), Social and Cultural history, Geography -- we sure have a different idea about that now than people did then.

Navigation, fuel planning, aircraft performance, weather, I'm not entirely getting the sense of a "game" here. LOL - navigation - one word sure covers a pretty big area of knowledge. There's geography, there's the use of charts and course plotting, there's understanding the capabilities of radio navigation of the era. There's wind drift and weather (again) -- how ever did they measure and report weather in the 1930s? Or how about using a sextant ("...excuse me, did you say octant, or was that a quadrant, or an astrolabe?") ;-)

In the context of simulation and computer modeling we learn a lot about what goes into a performance model for aircraft in the race. The .air file, the .cfg file, critical altitude, horsepower, propeller efficiency, lift scalar. Sounds a lot like computer science to me, I think they do that for like spaceships and stuff -- at least I've heard they do. :-)

Just for a chance to fly to the far-end of the world.

So the Model 14 caught my attention and I did some searches on SOH and Flightsim to see what I could find. I admit the Howard 500 is a favorite, I even thought about flying it in the race as a non-competing GA entry. The Super Electra would look good and very historic next to it in the hangar.

Thank you to all the organizers and good luck to all the racers!

Spookster67
October 18th, 2009, 15:08
Most of these Golden Age aircraft are new to me, so I've test flown a few different ones. When I downloaded the Percival P6 Mew Gull and read the excellent documentation that comes with it about Alex Henshaw's record runs to and from Cape Town I was inspired. He also won the 1938 Kings Cup with it. So, although it's tricky to fly, and quite an old model, that's my choice for the Golden Age category.

More info about the Cape Records flights in the P6 Mew Gull here:
http://users.iafrica.com/l/le/leehall/frames/flight_details.htm

N350BC_Doug
October 18th, 2009, 18:17

I have decided to fly the default Lockheed Vega "Lituanica II" as a team entry with Salt Air, (with his blessing - guess he needs to change his solo entry). In the better late than never class, I just could not resign myself to the sidelines with this cool of a group any longer. Wishing everyone a good run... and fun.

N350BC_Doug

MaddogK
October 18th, 2009, 19:48
I officially enter the fray in a Fairey Fox Mk 3, the update for my Fox will be available tomorrow morning.

Moses03
October 19th, 2009, 04:58
Of all things my computer died on Sat. A virus knocked out my C drive. At this point I don't know when I can be back in action.

So best of luck to you all. I will be cheering from the sideline.

Moses

salt_air
October 19th, 2009, 10:05
Of all things my computer died on Sat. A virus knocked out my C drive. At this point I don't know when I can be back in action.

Moses

Terrible news Moses....Good Luck!

Regards,

EdGeneer
October 19th, 2009, 11:08

Moses

Ouch!!! That's terrible!!! :( wow, that timing sux.... Very sorry to hear that... You cant get something back up and flyin in a few days and still participate???? If not, I understand....

I just put together my fancy machine, finally, something with some real horsepower... I am thinking of doing some of the final legs on it, but for now, I am fortunate enough to have fs9 run well on my laptop and will be doing most of the race on that. I dont have any reservations about my new machine, she seems really stable, more so than other systems i have put together, but i literally built it 2 days ago, and although she flies like an eagle, i know my laptop is stable, and ofcourse my race dc3 is installed on it, etc... so I may switch things down the line to the new machine, but for now, its on the laptop...

Moses, I hope something presents itself for you to get an fs stable and comfortable for you to join back in....

Haitun
October 19th, 2009, 13:47
I enter the race both in Modern Class (Default Beechcraft Baron) and in Golden Age Class (still thinking about the aircraft).
If time permits will have a non-comprtition entry by flying the whole course in default Robinson R22 helicopter (which finished last in Commemoration London-Sydney event of 2001 flown in modern aircraft) -P.S that's not a mockery - my wife just loves rotorcraft=)))

Willy
October 19th, 2009, 14:08
Seems to me that a helicopter would be modern GA. Just thinking out loud......

Dangerousdave26
October 19th, 2009, 14:21
Seems to me that a helicopter would be modern GA. Just thinking out loud......

Question Willy how would the Handicap system work :icon_lol:

Dang man you do that and...

I will be speechless.

Tell the Mrs. Haitun I said Hello. :applause:

Colonial
October 19th, 2009, 15:18
Squadra Italia (Colonial and ChrisTrott)

registering for Golden Age Class with a Savoia-Marchetti SM.81 called "Copertino", registered I-VORY

Plane on loan from the Regia Aeronautica Italiana, costs for fuel sponsored by Signor Tommaso Gibsoni of CalClassic. (http://www.calclassic.com/)

Moses03
October 19th, 2009, 18:14
Thanks fellas. At least I have net access and email back up now. I'm hoping to get a bare bones FS install up and going by the weekend. Best news of all is that the Super Electra was able to be salvaged from the dead drive. Phew!

Willy
October 19th, 2009, 18:35
Drat! The hit-man already got the money too!! :d

Good News!! :ernae:

N350BC_Doug
October 19th, 2009, 20:28

I have decided to fly the default Lockheed Vega "Lituanica II" as a team entry with Salt Air, (with his blessing - guess he needs to change his solo entry). In the better late than never class, I just could not resign myself to the sidelines with this cool of a group any longer. Wishing everyone a good run... and fun.

N350BC_Doug

Seems I have deadlines chasing me like my own shadow... my real world responsibility's have made this effort impossible for me at this time. I formally withdraw the Lockheed Vega "Lituanica II" as a team entry with Salt Air, and will resign myself to the sidelines. My compliments to the committee for a job well done, this is a top drawer event and I regret not having the time to commit to it.

N350BC_Doug

EdGeneer
October 19th, 2009, 22:34
Sorry to hear that Doug, would have been nice to have you on-board in one fashion or another....

salt_air
October 20th, 2009, 05:01

I have decided to fly the default Lockheed Vega "Lituanica II".

This livery in memory of the two pilots, needlessly shot down over Germany in 1933 after completing there flight across the Atlantic, but before they could reach home in Kaunas (Lithuania).

The real "Litunaica II" was flown in September of 1935 in a commemoration of their tragic transatlantic flight.

Steponas Darius and Stasys Girenas may well have entered and placed nicely in this very event in 1934 had they not been killed the year before.

Good Luck to All!

Okay yeah,,,,,what he said....:isadizzy:

To be clear this is a solo effort.

Best to All!

MaddogK
October 20th, 2009, 05:19
Ya, I think I'll throw down in the modern era with the DA Cheyenne, if theres any time left after my Golden Age adventure.

epwatson
October 20th, 2009, 06:25
After some registration issues, I can now post that I too will be joining this race.. :)

For the golden age, i will be taking the sparten executive.
For the modern age, i will be flying the Cirrus SR22G Turbo. :) I love that bird.. Wanna upgrade my real world flying from a 172 to a SR22 :)

See ya in the skies.. :)

salt_air
October 20th, 2009, 07:06
After some registration issues, I can now post that I too will be joining this race.. :)

For the golden age, i will be taking the sparten executive.
For the modern age, i will be flying the Cirrus SR22G Turbo. :) I love that bird.. Wanna upgrade my real world flying from a 172 to a SR22 :)

See ya in the skies.. :)

Welcome to the foray Eamonn....:wavey:

Two great aircraft there!

All the best,

MM
October 20th, 2009, 07:37
In the interest of diversity, I'm going to switch my Golden Age Mew Gull entry from Alex Henshaw's iconic G-AEXF to Edgar Percival's G-AFAA. Martin (Spookster67) will do a great job saluting Alex Henshaw.

The flight simulation model of the Mew Gull is by Michel Migaud (oldliner52 at SOH). This is the standard version, not the special Cape Town record holder. The paint is Michel's as well, though the colors have been changed from light blue to bright red as portrayed in a 1930s cigarette card illustration of Edgar Percival's G-AFAA.

srgalahad
October 20th, 2009, 12:07
Having completed testing for aircraft and crew, delivered the paperwork, supplied sufficient baksheesh, rounded up some sponsorship and got the newly acquired aircraft all "dolled-up", the

Virtual
International
Air-
Group
Racing
Alliance

-- Team VIAGRA
is entering the London to Melbourne Race in the Modern General Aviation class with an
Aerostar 700 (winner of the 2001 London to Sydney Race)

Generous help from our sponsors (a major pharmaceutical product and a US-based supplier of home and industrial tools) is greatly appreciated and we will endeavour to keep up our end. Due to the equipment onboard we will ensure that we keep our flights to less than four hours as per the well-known warnings.

Team MEMBERS:
DangerousDave26
jkcook28
SrGalahad
(and perhaps the incredble stewardess Mimi)

teson1
October 20th, 2009, 14:06
Entering the fun with the Gee Bee Model Z Sportster.
I think I've found my perfect flying carpet. :jump:
What did I request in another thread? Good VC (if simple), flies well, good visibility from the cockpit? Has it all, and adds in some nice damage modeling with engine overstress and heat damage. And the limited 400 nm range will keep the flights within a reasonable timeframe (keeping the couch ban time to a minimum) and me on the edge for the longer legs. Great job by Warwick Carter! :applause:
Currently reading Ellie Beinhorn's memoirs on the 1932 Berlin - Sydney flight (and on around the world). Amazing. Wondering how pilotage would work out. I think I'll have a try at that... Have done some test flights and works pretty well with Tim Arnot's Plan-G.

Yeehaw! Here I come! (difficult to miss, flashy paint, no?)

Dangerousdave26
October 20th, 2009, 17:07
Real MEN fly slow Planes.:applause:

I am not sure how much time I have to compete.

I am not sure I can finish.

:pop4: But I am in the Sim.

Look out the Psycho Psym Renegade is on the Loose.

NC09DD - not sure what that means but...

I am taking it that it means No Class 2009 Dangerousdave :icon_lol:

Thanks OBIO for a Job Well Done! :applause:

it might be a day or two until I get a leg in. I am kind of busy...

Milton Shupe
October 20th, 2009, 17:48
LOL Y'all have fun ... I am loving your aircraft selections. :applause:

Skyking53
October 21st, 2009, 07:25
I would like to officially throw my hat into the ring for the MacRobertson race to Melbourne.
Skyking 53
Modern General Aviation Class
Flying the Cessna 414 Chancellor by Premier Aircraft Design.

Good luck to all the participants, hope I don't run into any of you while enroute (literally!) And now it's on to Melbourne......

Taco
October 21st, 2009, 09:00
Also throwing in my hat for the MacRobertson race flying the MAAM DC-3 using the colors of Western Airlines. Oops, forgot, entering Classic's.

Taco

Moses03
October 21st, 2009, 09:34
Welcome home Taco! :applause:

Taco
October 21st, 2009, 09:46
Thanks Moses.

Willy
October 21st, 2009, 09:46
Welcome back Taco!

Colonial
October 21st, 2009, 16:34
I feel hungry for some reason.....

Taco
October 21st, 2009, 16:39
Thanks Willy, good to be home again.

mickj300
October 22nd, 2009, 10:47
I anounce my entry flying the default DC-3 in the Golden Age class.

I normally fly with FlightSim.com Multiplayer Adventures and have participated in the last three RTWs.

Well done to the organising team for setting this up, I've been looking forward to something like this since last year's DC3 Airways World Rally last year!

Good luck to all!

MickJ300 (G-ACFC)

Bry Rosier
October 22nd, 2009, 11:05
Welcome Mick , Good to see you here:jump:

MM
October 22nd, 2009, 12:11
Glad to have you here Mick. Great fun ahead!

SWSucceed
October 22nd, 2009, 12:39
If I may, I would confirm my entry in the FSX Standard DC-3 in the Golden Era classics representing aspirefsx.com

Will be flying my legs technology permitting on out Teamspeak and Multiplayer server facility and extend a warm welcome to any of you that would like to register on our forum, get the connection details and come join us at any time!

MM
October 23rd, 2009, 04:24
Excellent to have you join the gang, Stuart.

donlimpio
October 23rd, 2009, 14:12
A late entry, but not too late! I will join the race and announce my entry in the Golden Age Class flying Milton Shupe's brilliant Beech D18S with a custom panel.

best
Olli

MM
October 23rd, 2009, 15:19
Very good. The Twin Beech deserves another enthusiastic entry.

Welcome Olli!

Haitun
October 23rd, 2009, 15:22
For golden age era I'll fly beautiful Vultee V1.

MaddogK
October 24th, 2009, 02:31
Good choice Haitun, was my second choice but was unsure about short runway performance. Good luck to you.

JockHA
October 24th, 2009, 09:02
I will fly the DC2 Uiver.
Need to get current on this aircraft. :engel016:
Have not flown it for quit a while.
I expect to start within a few days.

MM
October 24th, 2009, 09:15
That is excellent news, Jock. We really needed the DC-2 Uiver! In many ways, the Uiver was history's winner of the 1934 London-Melbourne. A great addition to the paddock.

Look forward to your start.

falcon409
October 25th, 2009, 21:47
Not sure if I am eligible to do this since I was already registered for the Golden Age with the Comet and opted to go to the Modern GA instead. . .but I would like to register again for the Golden Age, flying the Spartan Exec.

Willy
October 25th, 2009, 21:58
I believe you can change your ride in a class up until you take off in it. I've already switched my Golden Age to the Beech 18.

falcon409
October 25th, 2009, 22:08
I believe you can change your ride in a class up until you take off in it. I've already switched my Golden Age to the Beech 18.
Ok, thanks Willy. I see it more as an opportunity to redeem myself somewhat and give the Golden Age one more shot. I don't really expect to be competitive, but right now the fun, for me, is in the flying itself anyway. . .and learning more than I have in 5 or 6 years of simming.

Willy
October 25th, 2009, 22:57
I learn several new things every time we run a race. Keeps me coming back!

srgalahad
October 26th, 2009, 14:15
Well, the boss calls me in and asks what I'm doing hanging around the office. Says he figures I should be out flying, tosses me a set of keys and an envelope.

Seems he's shipped his old but airworthy Beechcraft to England and I'm supposed to push it as fast as I can to Australia. The note said he was getting a new, restored, improved model but it won't be ready until the New Year

Last scrap of paper said to deliver this message to the authorities:
Entering MacRobertson Race
Golden Age Division (handicap)
Model 17 Beechcraft, CR-1 version out of the Old SimTech hangar
Fuel promised by Phillips 66

Rob

MM
October 26th, 2009, 16:32
Just an excellent choice! Terrific stuff.

jkcook28
October 26th, 2009, 18:03
I hope to have the time and motivation to finish and want to get the papers filed before deadline. I really planned to fly the Columbia 400, but upon further testing was a bit too short-legged. :frown:
So, I will fly the Flight1 C310; a kinda-sorta vintage GA with a 50s-60s paint scheme.
Ice the Fosters, departing *soon*. :d

Spookster67
October 27th, 2009, 02:23
With the Cessna Conquest C441 being too fast for the rules, this Cessna C414A Chancellor is a nice alternative. Like a Conquest, but a little smaller and slower, it should make for a relaxing few flights half way round the world.

http://www.premaircraft.com/C414_FSX/img2.gif

Team membersip not confirmed yet, but will likely be members of the former FS-MP.com RTW race team, and/or current members of iflyonline.com and aspirefsx.com.

So, registration is in, and we'll be preparing for a departure within a few days.

:wavey:

Carlitoboy
October 27th, 2009, 09:10
Greetings folks!

This is my entry into the Modern Age Category, flying the Beech Duke.

Thanks!

Moses03
October 27th, 2009, 09:13
The GA pilots are really showing up now. Welcome to the race and to SOH Carlito. :icon29:

EasyEd
October 27th, 2009, 09:36
Hey All,

If there is anyone hesitant to enter and would if they had a teammate - I will help - you just go ahead and enter a plane in the race. Don't worry about what plane - I may have it and if I don't and like it it wouldn't bother me to buy another payware - also you can always change the entry up to the moment you take off.

-Ed-

Bry Rosier
October 27th, 2009, 10:42
Hi all , Just to let the committee know I will be taking the Eaglesoft Cirrus G2 Turbo in the GA Race :) cheers:ernae:

srgalahad
October 27th, 2009, 12:40
Those who register officially before 1200 UTC on October 28th will qualify for the championship. Call these "official prize eligible" entries. Later entrants will constitute "official" entrants. They have their time scored in the official standings but cannot win a prize. (This deadline applies to the official entry submission—which designates pilot, class and aircraft—but not to the actual flying of the race which can be done anytime.)

As the October 28th deadline approaches (approx. 15 hrs, 20 min from the time-stamp of this post) this is a reminder that after, any entries made after 1200 UTC Oct. 28- will be eligible only for Official record-keeping and not for the "prizes". The entries for Carlitoboy and Bry Rosier's Cirrus G2 are in the "official prize eligible" category. Anyone else contemplating an entry for the prizes should get the paperwork filed ASAP.

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx

Rob

Rndguy
October 27th, 2009, 13:13
I would like to enter the General Aviation race with a North American Navion. (Pending approval of North American Navion model.)

srgalahad
October 27th, 2009, 13:38
I would like to enter the General Aviation race with a North American Navion. (Pending approval of North American Navion model.)

Welcome to SOH and the event!

A couple of things need clarification:

Which model, the FSX Rangemaster v2 (By Rich Schwertfeger and Bill Leaming) or the FS9 L-19 (by Tim Conrad)?
(Personally, I'd like to see either in the running :applause:)

In either case if we don't have someone to test it you'll have to provide the data as shown in the Aircraft Performance Q&A thread
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=23890

While we're willing to accommodate new entries, a new aircraft at this point is a challenge, so it may take a day or so for a decision and you should consider an alternate a/c just in case the "Navion" is disallowed. The aircraft of choice may be changed up until you commence your first leg.

Also note that the aircraft must be in "stock" form - ie. no .cfg or .air files modified except by the model builder. Custom paints and radio/navaid mods are allowed.

Rob

Rndguy
October 27th, 2009, 13:43
It is the FSX Rangemaster v2 (By Rich Schwertfeger and Bill Leaming). I will have a Duenna posted on the Rangemaster's performance this evening.

I will use the Mooney Bravo (FSX Default) until your decision is reached on the Navion Rangemaster.

Thanks for warm welcome and the consideration!

Travis

Great Ozzie
October 27th, 2009, 14:00
Team AVSIM entering the FSX G21 Grumman Goose sporting the very cool OZx Grumman Goose HD Redux 1.20 colors by JayKae.

Final team roster TBA.

Edit: sorry I meant in General Aviation Class... (had golden age on the bongo) No need to rip those panels apart guys! :icon_eek:

Edit edit: motion carried for AVSIM Team Roster to include any Team AVSIM Member who would like to carry the Baton (kinda like the Team Melrose)... so we officially enter to have a fun, scenic trip. :-)

srgalahad
October 27th, 2009, 14:02
Team AVSIM entering the FSX G21 Grumman Goose sporting the very cool OZX Grumman Goose HD Redux 1.20 colors by JayKae.

Final team roster TBA.

Roger dodger, you old codger! :icon_lol: :ernae:

srgalahad
October 27th, 2009, 15:20
and for those who don't know what a Rangemaster is... it's the blue one (if the family resemblance is confusing)

http://www.navion.com/indexpics/TAP.jpg

jkcook28
October 27th, 2009, 16:29
Looks more like a Mooney than a P-51 to me...:mixedsmi:

srgalahad
October 28th, 2009, 00:32
FSX Navion Rangemaster approved

Rndguy's entry in Modern GA accepted as originally posted.

Rob

epwatson
October 28th, 2009, 04:34
Okay with the official registration closed now for 90 minutes, i just want to confirm i have the correct people and correct aircraft. I do not konw the aircraft or handicap speeds for everyone so maybe someone could help me on that.

Please view the attached pictures. Golden Age is on the left, Modern Age is on the right.

Let me know. :) Thanks guys..

MM
October 28th, 2009, 05:51
Eamonn, here is a longer list of entries that includes some declared aircraft that have not yet flown. It still makes sense for everyone to check their own listing as each will know his own best.

superchief57
October 28th, 2009, 16:12
Hi. First timer. Let's give it a go.

superchief57 - Vinnie
Golden Age DC-3 See you in the shies.

Moses03
October 31st, 2009, 09:23
Welcome Travis & Vinnie. Good luck! :ernae: