PDA

View Full Version : London-Melbourne Challenge 2009 Rules

MM
October 5th, 2009, 17:34
The London to Melbourne Challenge

In late October 1934 the world focused its attention on a dramatic feat of aerial adventure. Accepting the MacRobertson challenge, the best aviators from around the world gathered to race from London to Melbourne. They were competing in the best aircraft that they could muster to fly halfway around the earth. Their progress was covered by newspaper and radio for a global audience and wherever the competitors landed they were greeted by huge crowds. The whole world was watching.

We wish to commemorate that event. Accordingly we are conducting a simulated race from London to Melbourne under conditions similar to those of 1934. Pilots may fly either Golden Age aircraft of the 1930s or General Aviation aircraft of the current era.

Features of the London-Melbourne Challenge.

• The Race begins on October 20, 2009 and ends on November 30th. Registration is due by October 28th. Later entrants may participate but not win.
• Pilots use real weather but not real time. They may fly legs at a time that fits into their own schedules.
• Two classes of aircraft compete: Golden Age (1930s) aircraft using primitive navigation and Modern General Aviation aircraft using modern navigation instruments. A large number of tested aircraft are eligible for participation.
• The Route follows the 1934 race course with the same compulsory stops.
• The pilot's cumulated Flight Time (time in the air) determines the Speed Race winner in each class.
• The pilot's Flight Time compared to the simulated aircraft's optimal time based on maximum speed determines the Handicap Race winner in each class.

To see what's up, take a look at the Rules, FAQ, Aircraft, and Historical Notes attached. This is v1.00. Please feel free to comment. Let's get everything right so that we can all have some fun.

Look forward seeing you.

Your London-Melbourne Organizing Committee
PRB, Taco, RFields, srgalahad, Willy, MM, Moses03

Willy
October 5th, 2009, 17:48
The Entry thread is up!

Dangerousdave26
October 5th, 2009, 19:37
I would like to add...

And you do not need to follow my advise since I am not race committee.

But for those of you who can fly online use the Official London-Melbourne Challenge Multi-Player server "Midnight Aircraft Parts Express".

mape.gotdns.org

Just enter that into your FS9 or FSX IP address using the default port of 23456.

Thats where you will find me with the Puss Moth when it is released. :applause:

Feel free to pass me up.

Willy
October 5th, 2009, 19:50
Yep, unless I get real lonely online, that's where I'm flying it too.

salt_air
October 6th, 2009, 04:43
Don't want to roll the credits here before the end of the "movie", but I do want to stand up and ask that we all throw our hats into the air to celebrate yet another excellent MSFS competition produced by what should be recognised as the best group of event organizers in the community.

All of the late nights and hours of research, testing, and planing by the committe members and any others that have contributed along the way should not go unmentioned untill the end of the event.

I'm sure I speak for more than will post here when I say how much these efforts are appreciated by all who will benefit from what they have made available.

Thank You! PRB, Taco, RFields, srgalahad, MM, Moses03.

Now Melbourne or bust! :running:

Highmike
October 6th, 2009, 14:39
Thank You! PRB, Taco, RFields, srgalahad, MM, Moses03.

Agreed! Always a first class show from these guys, thank you.

Onward Ho!

EdGeneer
October 12th, 2009, 22:52
this may be a stupid question, but i'll ask it, im used to asking stupid questions....

does a name server addy work in the google tracking kmz's so we can look at the progress of live pilots flying on google earth?

Dangerousdave26
October 13th, 2009, 03:55
It sure should Ed.

I forgot we set that up last year.

Use this link http://mape.gotdns.org/user303.html

An additional quick note about the Dyndns hosting. China blocks access to the domain name hosting service. Other countries may as well. If you are in those countries just post you need the current true IP address and we will PM it to you.

Spookster67
October 13th, 2009, 07:20
Hi,

I've read the Rules, and the FAQs, but I'm not quite clear about which are the "prepared" airports at which Golden Age pilots may refuel without penalty.

Are all 45 aiports listed on pages 3 and 4 of the Rules "prepared", or are the "additional airports" that are shown with only one * actually "unprepared"? The FAQs say that these additional 1930s airports have been added to make it possible to fly shorter legs, but it doesn't actually say whether doing so would incur the "Uncertainty" penalty or not.

Thanks!

p.s. I'm enjoying this planning challenge already, and I haven't picked an aircraft yet...

MM
October 13th, 2009, 07:34
All of the listed airports are "prepared." You may, for example, land at Brindisi, Cairo, or Gwadar without penalty. (In 2007 we "prepared" only the [**] and [***] airports that were in the 1934 event.)

This year we have added airports
to permit shorter legs and thus to make the long journey possible both for range-limited aircraft and time-limited pilots. The extra stops also introduce a bit more flexibility for everyone.

MaddogK
October 13th, 2009, 10:18
Mid-air incidents such as overstressing the airframe or running out of fuel require that the flight be started again. Post the Duenna and return to the departure airport. The failed flight time does not count on the logbook but the crash does. In both cases, note the air-craft damage when you post the result. (Style points for vivid descriptions.)Can I assume that a safe landing at an unprepared airport after running out of fuel only incurrs the penalty for refueling at an unprepared airport ?

P.S. I LOVE the "Style points" addition, I'll definitely be taking advantage of that !

EdGeneer
October 13th, 2009, 16:47
It sure should Ed.

I forgot we set that up last year.

Use this link http://mape.gotdns.org/user303.html

An additional quick note about the Dyndns hosting. China blocks access to the domain name hosting service. Other countries may as well. If you are in those countries just post you need the current true IP address and we will PM it to you.

groovy... thanks.... :D

Moses03
October 13th, 2009, 17:07
Can I assume that a safe landing at an unprepared airport after running out of fuel only incurrs the penalty for refueling at an unprepared airport ?

P.S. I LOVE the "Style points" addition, I'll definitely be taking advantage of that !

As I understand your question- yes, just an unprepared airport penalty.

Highmike
October 14th, 2009, 18:18
Hi guys,

Will it be possible to post an updated list of eligible aircraft before Tuesday? I'd like to enter my DA Cheyenne in the GA class but I'm not sure which model will be suitable.

Mike

Willy
October 14th, 2009, 20:02
Just so happens we've got a updated list near completion. Expect to see it soonest.

Haitun
October 19th, 2009, 13:03
The Greatest Race ever!!!
A note - in 1934 Moldova was part of Romania, not USSR. Souldn't it be elegible then?

Dangerousdave26
October 19th, 2009, 14:02
The Greatest Race ever!!!
A note - in 1934 Moldova was part of Romania, not USSR. Souldn't it be elegible then?

Yes it was part of Romania from 1915 until 1940

In 1940 it of course was occupied by Russia during the second world war.

Historically you are correct but we can probably stick with the list as it is and still have smooth sailing to Iraq.

In 1934 all the other key countries in that area were not part of the USSR

srgalahad
October 21st, 2009, 13:50
Query:
"Flight Sim Time" - the answer has been addressed regarding multiple flights by a solo 'team' needing to be sequential... ie no resetting the clock. Confirmation requested of the committee (Yea/nay) that this applies to multi-pilot teams too (regardless of the pilot's time zone)?

Rob :kilroy:

MM
October 21st, 2009, 19:58
Necessary Rules Clarification.

Good to ask about the "Simulation Time" for team entries as opposed to solo entries. The rule intends that during a "local real life day" each sequential leg takes off after the previously completed leg--in "local simulation time." This means that a long sequence of legs may end up flying in darkness. At the beginning of a new "local real life day" the pilot may recommence his next leg at an arbitrary "local simulator time"--presumably early in the morning.

The ambiguity arises when the "local real life day" has a different meaning for different pilots on a team. The "local real life day" begins and ends at a different UTC for pilots living in Europe as opposed to California or Alaska.

The solution is to pick a single time zone for the team. You might pick UTC, for example. Or, if most pilots live in California and one in New York, you might pick Pacific Time instead. You may choose the "team local real life day" to suit your needs--but you must pick a single time zone.

Spookster67
October 22nd, 2009, 13:33
Just a minor issue for clarification, please.

Is the official race time the "Baton Time" or the "Flight Time" from Duenna? Typically they are very similar, unless pilots don't use "auto-pickup" in which case they could be different by a few minutes.

Thanks.

Dangerousdave26
October 22nd, 2009, 13:36
For the purposes of these events we use Flight Time as the official time keeper.

Technically this is not a relay race there is no Baton but old habits die hard with some of us.

EasyEd
October 22nd, 2009, 20:11
Hey All,

Thought I'd ask here as well as in Ed's (Falcon409) thread. In the summary of the rules for Ed it didn't say.

Can modern age aircraft land in Russia and Iran or not? I'm not sure this is clear because it souds like they can due to the ability to land anywhere but then again pilots can't land in Russia or Iran (Persia). To me it don't matter much in a PC-12 with near 1100 n miles range but to some it does matter. For example the Piper Aerostar "stiffs" :bump: (you guys asked for it!) flew around Iran - did they need to?

-Ed-

MM
October 22nd, 2009, 20:36
(Easy) Ed,

Modern Age pilots may not land in Russia (or in the former Soviet Republics)--nor may they land in Afghanistan. They may land at only two airports (Bushere and Jask) in Iran. Otherwise, a penalty.

Note that you may fly over Russian, Iranian, and Afghan airspace...but you may not land (with the noted exceptions).

Hope this helps,
Mike

Highmike
October 27th, 2009, 16:50
Hi guys,

I seem to have encountered a complication while landing at ORBI. I was late descending and had to circle several times before I landed on Rwy 15L at ORBI, but the Duenna has recorded my landing at OROS which is a mile or so from ORBI. I've landed at this airport many times, so I know what it looks like and I feel confident that I landed at the correct airport. My flight tracking data indicates that I was heading in a 150 degree direction when I landed at ORBI, and investigation will show that OROS has only an east west runway:

http://www.fsrtwrace.com/track/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=Kfi49Ggmm2T01shXVSuKy5RwKZk

I hope you'll be able to make sense of this and rule accordingly.

Regards,
Mike Beckwith

arrvoo
October 27th, 2009, 17:47
A few of us have had the same problem Mike. For some reason RW15L gives you a destination of OROS instead of ORBI. I think RW15R would give you the correct Duenna. On the flight tracking site, if you switch the Google map to satelite, and zoom in, you can clearly see you've landed at the correct airport :)

Highmike
October 27th, 2009, 17:56
Thanks Harv, I'll carry on regardless! :icon29:

srgalahad
October 27th, 2009, 18:07
Mike, the lat/long in your Duenna are consistent with the position of ORBS/ORBI (runway 15L) so no penalty. you ARE at the right place.

What happens is that near the threshold of 15L you are closer to the geo ref for OR0S than the airport georef for ORBS/ORBI (about 1.8nm compared to 2.0nm) so it thinks you are "over there"

Carry on!

Rob

Highmike
October 27th, 2009, 18:30
Thank you!

Carlitoboy
October 29th, 2009, 12:07
Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post stupid questions...

I've been searching for posts regarding restricted airspace. I'm interested in doing some "point of interest" fly-by's, i.e. the Eiffel Tower, or the Egyptian pyramids, etc. I know this is not in the best interest of time, because it is indeed a race, but are we allowed to enter restricted airspace and perhaps fly below minimum altitude (500' unpopulated / 1000' populated areas)?

Was the airspace around Paris and the Eiffel Tower prohibited back in the 1930's as it is today (6500/GND)?

Moses03
October 29th, 2009, 12:32
Not a stupid question. Flybys are okay with no min restrictions. Just avoid landings as described below.

From the rules:

"Restrictions on Landing Rights. Pilots may not land in Afghanistan or the USSR (The USSR includes all the Soviet Republics: Russia, Moldova, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Geor-gian, Armenia, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, etc). Nor may pilots land in Iran (Persia) ex-cept for the two airports listed below. Emergency landings in those territories cost the pilot a three-hour penalty above and beyond any other penalties. Pilots may fly over these countries' airspaces without penalty."

I doubt there were restrictions in place back then, at least on any consistent level. Maybe srgalahad can enlighten us being ex-ATC?

Bry Rosier
October 29th, 2009, 12:35
And some nice photographic evidence of these Landmarks would also be great :)

srgalahad
October 29th, 2009, 13:57
my guess is that if you don't land and get arrested, or shot at/down in the process, you're probably OK. In fact, most of those restrictions and regulations were just being "grown" in the 30's in response to guys like us, who went racing and barnstorming ( and crashing into nice places).

The rules make OUR prohibitions and in this case we are Air Regs, ATC, ICAO, IATA, FBI, RCMP, Interpol and any other organization that may be relevant.

Butttttttttt... hit something (esp. one of those 'landmarks') and crash and... well... rules is rules... and we have no clout with the local town councils or militia

Rob

Carlitoboy
October 29th, 2009, 14:59
:jump:

arrvoo
November 1st, 2009, 03:01
A quick question. Can REX v2 be used for weather simulation. I usually use Active Sky Advanced and have never used REX for weather before and have no idea if its good enough for depicting real world weather

donlimpio
November 1st, 2009, 08:06
A quick question, as I can't find anything in the rules. Would it be allowed to install additional avionics while on route? I'm thinking adding the DUAL RMI/ADF set in Singapore.

Dangerousdave26
November 1st, 2009, 08:12
A quick question, as I can't find anything in the rules. Would it be allowed to install additional avionics while on route? I'm thinking adding the DUAL RMI/ADF set in Singapore.

Dual RMI is allowed in the Golden Age and as far as I am concerned it is a must. :icon_lol:

Panel modes are allowed.

The only restriction would be no glass cock pit.

Primarily vintage avionics as best as possible

Don't forget a good wind drift gauge.

See this thread here for the wind drift gauge i use http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=24096

Dangerousdave26
November 3rd, 2009, 15:24
I have been routing myself based on how i read the rules which I read them to mean that we can only refuel at the Prepared Refueling Points.

Based on this section in the rules.

Refueling.

Modern General Aviation Class pilots may land and refuel at any airport. The concept "Prepared Fuel Stops" does not apply to the Modern GA Class.

For the Golden Age Class, only a limited number of airfields are Prepared Refueling Points. Once outside of Europe, the availability of AVGAS was highly uncertain in the '30s . In the event, the organizing committee had to pull some "colonial" weight to get these stops set up with proper Avgas and Oil and to insure that the often-rough aero-dromes were upgraded with the proper facilities. This list includes the airports prepared for the 1934 race as well as a few others commonly used by long-distance fliers in the 1930s.

Prepared Fuel Stops for the Golden Age Class
(Some substitutions where necessary.)

London, England. Mildenhall AB [EGUN]
Paris, France. Le Bourget [LFPB]
Lyon, France. Bron [LFLY]
Marseille, France. Marignane [LFML]
Rome, Italy. Ciampino [LIRA]

Brindisi, Italy. Casale [LIBR]
Halle-Leipzig, Germany. [EDDP]
Vienna, Austria. [LOWW]
Belgrade, Yugoslavia. Dojno Polje [LYBE]
Bucharest, Romania. Baneasa (LRBS)
Athens, Greece. Hellinikon [LGAT]
Iraklion,Crete, Greece. [LGIR]
Akrotiri, Cyprus. (Britain) [LCRA]
Mersa Matruh, Egypt. [HEMM]
Cairo, Egypt. Amaza [HEAZ]
Lydda, Palestine.( British Mandate) (now Tel Aviv Ben Gurion) [LLBG]
Beruit, Lebanon, Syria. (French Mandate) [OLBA]
Aleppo, Syria (French Mandate). [OSAP]
Baghdad, Iraq (British Mandate). [ORBS] [ORBI-FSX]
Bushehr, Persia. [OIBB]
Jask, Persia. [OIZJ]
Gwadar, Sultanate of Oman (now Pakistan) [OPGD]
Karachi, India (Britain) (now Pakistan). Jinnah Intl [OPKC]
Jodhpur, India (Britain). [VIJO]
Agra, India (Britain). [VIAG]
Allahabad, India (Britain). [VIAL]
Calcutta, India (Britain). Dum Dum (now Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose) [VECC]
Akyab, Burma (Britain). (now Sittwe or Site-tway) [VYSW]
Rangoon, Burma (Britain). (now Yangon) [VYYY]
Bangkok, Siam. [VTBD]
Alor Star, Malaya (Britain). [WMKA]
Singapore (Britain). Seletar [WSSL]
Medan, Sumatra, Netherlands Indies. (Polonia) [WIMM]
Palembang, Sumatra, Netherlands Indies. [WIPP]
Batavia, Java, Netherlands Indies. (Jakarta Halim Intl) [WIIH] [WIHH-FSX]
Bandung, Java, Netherlands Indies. [WIBB] [WICC-FSX]
Surabaya, Java, Netherlands Indies. [WRSJ] [WARR-FSX]
(Rambang, Lombok, Netherlands Indies.) Selaparang [WRRA] [WADA-FSX]
Kupang, Timor, Netherlands Indies. El Tari [WRKK] [WATT-FSX]
Port Darwin, Australia. [YPDN]
(Newcastle Waters, Australia) Tennant Creek [YTNK]
Cloncurry, Australia. [YCCY]
Charleville, Australia. [YBCV]
Narromine, Australia. [YNRM]
Melbourne (Flemington Racecourse), Australia. Essendon [YMEN]
Notes.

***Compulsory Checkpoint Control Stop
** Prepared Refueling Stations (1934)
* Additional Airports from the 1930s

Observe that this Prepared Refueling Points restriction increases the navigational chal-lenge. First, the pilot must calculate fuel consumption to be sure to reach these fields. And second, this requires slightly more precise navigation/planning so as to be able to hit the right field. (Many cities changed airports since 1934. Substitutions here aim to keep the routing decisions similar to those faced during the 1930s and to include multiple run-ways for "into the wind" operations so important for earlier aircraft.)

Refueling at Other "Unprepared" Airports.

Golden Age pilots may land and refuel at other "unprepared" airfields. However, each such landing or refueling will incur an additional one hour "Uncertainty Cost" which is added to the total time. This cost represents the probability that one will find no fuel or oil, or get the wrong grade of fuel, or hit a hole in an unprepared field, or get detained by the local officials. And it compensates for the fact that in 1934 there were not nearly so many airports from which to choose. (Two telling examples: (a) The Mollisons stopped for fuel at an unexpected place. They had to convince the local bus service to contribute fuel. Using that fuel, their engines seized up and the Mollisons had to abandon the race. (b) The American team of Jack Wright and John Polando in the Monocoupe stopped un-expectedly for fuel in Persia. They were arrested as spies and held for a few days.) Need-less to say, one cannot refuel at a non-airport site.

So the question is

***Compulsory Checkpoint Control Stop
** Prepared Refueling Stations (1934)
* Additional Airports from the 1930s

Are the single "*" airports refueling stops or are they just addition airports one may stop at?

I have been taking it that all of the "*" airports would fall under the category of Refueling at Other "Unprepared" Airports mostly because the "**" airports are specifically designated as Prepared Refueling Stations (1934).

I need clarification before I hit my next leg.

Thanks Dave

EasyEd
November 3rd, 2009, 16:22
Hey All,

As I understand it post number 10 from MM in this thread answers your question. In short they are all prepared.

-Ed-

Willy
November 3rd, 2009, 17:19
If the airport is on that list, you may refuel there.

Dangerousdave26
November 3rd, 2009, 17:43
Very disturbing to hear because my route would have been different. :mad:

I was never planning on being a contender to win the race but I wanted to execute a well thought out plan in a very challenging aircraft. Now the well thought out plan part has been BLOWN. :censored:

However all is not lost!

This means I will execute PLAN B .:a1310:

epwatson
November 30th, 2009, 10:18
According to the rules, the race ends November 30th, 2009 18:00 UTC, which according to my watch is 78 minutes ago. Good race everyone.. :)

MM
November 30th, 2009, 10:35
We shall almost certainly extend the deadline a day or so to allow those closing in on Melbourne to complete their flights.