PDA

View Full Version : Talk about STOL

OBIO
October 5th, 2009, 00:14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsEq7YXP6Ow&feature=related

demorier
October 5th, 2009, 01:09
Cool.:mixedsmi:
I learnt how to fly an old Auster once as part of my tail wheel endorsement. They will fly quite happily at 25 knots.

exc141ac
October 5th, 2009, 07:10
That's about as short as you can get.
Note the application of power at the last moment -- just a tad under I expect, but awesome.
Thanks for sharing.

I remember almost running off the end of a 15,000 foot runway once . . .
but that is another story.

jakegazzard
October 5th, 2009, 07:15
Hello everyone! Does anyone Know of a decent STOL aircraft with a decent VC?

Willy
October 5th, 2009, 09:02
jakegazzard, if I'm planning on flying STOL then I'm usually looking at J.E.Narcizo's PA18 Super Cub, Piglet's An-2 or the Russian An-14. But the Super Cub is my favorite of the three.

jakegazzard
October 5th, 2009, 09:11
Thanks willy! I have the A2A cub which is decent with stol capability's. It is worth buying

Lionheart
October 5th, 2009, 09:31
Thanks for the heads up OBIO.

Great video.

Down in 9 feet, up in 12 feet, lol....

Looks like being on those huge tundra tires is a balancing act. Might as well order a couple of spare props and spinners just in case. :d

mike_cyul
October 5th, 2009, 09:37
According to the CubDriver dvd that clip comes from, that particular Super Cub is equipped with larger area squared wings, a drooping flap-and-aileron system, and has a 230 hp engine (if I recall correctly), and has 3 in. trailing edge extentions on elevator, rudder and flaps. It actually falls under the "Experimental" category. Doesn't cruise any faster than a regular PA-18, but certainly can do STOL! Especially with a 20 kt headwind coming over the hilltop.

Mike

n4gix
October 5th, 2009, 10:12
This guy is having too much fun in his Highlander: :icon_lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zioQVUSWcY&NR=1

sandar
October 5th, 2009, 11:46
Cool.:mixedsmi:
I learnt how to fly an old Auster once as part of my tail wheel endorsement. They will fly quite happily at 25 knots.

I learnt to fly on Austers and yes they flew slowly, not too sure they flew happily that slow though. If you weren't careful, they had a habit of dropping heavily onto that bungee suspension and busting the elastic. Right sod of a job to replace it and if you bust it you replaced it, once was enough.

One of my instructors claimed that if you dropped the flaps fully, lifted the nose with just short of full power, the Auster could almost hover. I was to sensible (or scared) to try it, but he did try one day. He flew over the airfield at about 500' into about a 5kt headwind,dropped the flaps, applied the power and lifted the nose. Lo and behold, it almost hovered, until that is he tried to lower the nose, raise the flaps and resume normal flight. He stalled, the wing dropped and he nearly spun in, fortunately he recovered in time with nothing more than stained underwear.

Afterwards he explained that he had difficulty in raising the flaps with one hand above his head (the flap lever was above the pilots head and is mechanically operated and needs some effort) and keeping steady control with his left hand on the stick. With the nose up attitude, he could only see the ground through the side window. He proved it could be done, but also proved it shouldn't be done.

demorier
October 5th, 2009, 23:08
I believe every word of it sandar....they can be a real handfull on the ground....those little heal peg brakes can be deadly to. Never flown a Piper Cub before, looks like fun.