PDA

View Full Version : L-39C Albatros - What a Gem

Timm
October 4th, 2009, 05:23
Hi Guys,
Just thought I would post a couple of shots of this little Gem the L-39. Since I have been able to hear all the new sounds I can't stop flying her. Timm

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2518/ss3un.jpg

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1411/ss2d.jpg

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/774/ss1qf.jpg

falcon409
October 4th, 2009, 07:27
Yep, it's a beauty and at this point, probably the best military payware aircraft available. That's taking into consideration the current FSX technology and how far beyond that Lotus was able to push the envelope. Beautifully done.

Timm
October 4th, 2009, 07:36
Hi there,
I love it, the detail inside and out is awesome. I read the reviews here on her and just had to get it along with the Logitech G940 Flight Control set which I ordered Xmas has come early Oh but sadly the G940 has been put back until early November here in the UK. Timm

VFR Reviews
October 4th, 2009, 07:43
Yep, it's a beauty and at this point, probably the best military payware aircraft available. That's taking into consideration the current FSX technology and how far beyond that Lotus was able to push the envelope. Beautifully done.

Well said :ernae:

gajit
October 4th, 2009, 09:59
Absolutely agree :ernae:

noddy
October 4th, 2009, 11:34
It is a thing of beauty.

CodyValkyrie
October 4th, 2009, 11:42
I would hold off on the G940, especially if you are running a 64bit OS. There are a TON of patches already for the unit because people are having a ton of problems, which sadly the patches have all but fixed.

If you want my advice wait, and read the reviews (not the ones on the Logitech device).

I also have it on good word from a close videographer friend of mine that after he received his review copy of the unit, he is unable to use it. Trying to keep from bashing the product after receiving it, he hasn't produced another video on it until such a time that Logitech fixes it.

JamesChams
October 4th, 2009, 12:49
Gents,
Well there are some issues with TrackIR (both Ver.'s 4.1 & 5.0) that conflict with it (G940) and cause some issues with the Vista 64 OS. The new version drivers (v5.08) has resolved some of this. I have yet to hear from the TrackIR guys (Natural Point, Inc.) as to a solution for their axis issues. They are still claiming its not their software thats the issue; and, we know what that usually means, no support. :mad:

Also, there is NO real Force Feedback tweaking with the Logitech G940's Profiler v5.06 or earlier and the newer v5.08 or later betas don't seem to improve on that at all. So, I use FS Force 2.11 which is a far better utility but, its NOT free, its PAYWARE at $34.95 USD.:kilroy:

All in all I'd give it a 9 out of 10, and its great with Helo's and many "Old girl" props with FS Force. With FSX's Force feedback its more around 6 out of 10. Other wise, its great.

VFR Reviews
October 4th, 2009, 18:54
Funny that you say that, James. I am running Vista 64 and have experienced no such problems.

Interestingly, I just got a Track-IR today. It has been acting a bit funny, but I assumed that it was the ambient light in the room, which has very large windows, fiddling with it. I'll have to look into this.

I have only experienced the heat issues which some people report once; mind you, my computer has never been plagued with many issues 64 bit users report; including those associated with Captain Sim, various addon sounds, and this G940.

VFR Reviews
October 4th, 2009, 18:56
I wonder if you could tell me what you sent Natural Point. I am reviewing both the Track-IR and the G940, and thus have quick access to well-placed sources in both companies- perhaps I could work to get this issue resolved somewhat more.

EDIT: Jeese this post sounds snobby. Sorry gents :(

I think it's the 'thus' in the second line throwing things off ;)

lol

JamesChams
October 4th, 2009, 19:11
Mr. Kevin Glover,

There were a few issues:

1. was a problem with the TrackIR locking the mouse in game (Windowed-mode) so that it would prevent the scrolling of the text dialogue boxes on the IE browser. So, when you would type a message it would automatically scroll the window to the top of the dialogue, per each character you type. I also use an in-game utility called InCabin browser which allows for opening of approach plates (.pdf docs) and other files (.jpg's, etc.) and it uses a Browser interface. I noticed that this problem affected it as well. It did NOT occur with earlier versions of TrackIR, so, all I can do is assume that the v4.1.037 has issues.

And, TrackIR v5.0 is worse; it ceases functioning for time to time in the game causing rapid head movements that are NOT initiated by the users (in a pitch-black/dark room). Then, if you try to close it down (while still in the game), the app shows a dialogue box indicating that its closing but it locks up there. I have to use Task Manager to force a shutdown; so I gave up on it entirely and have stayed with v4.1.037, which too has issues mentioned above.

2. Also, this would result in FSX crashing (CTD) in ver. 4.1.037 when things got overloaded. I would have to shutdown TrackIR and restart it as it would not re-initiate after I reloaded FSX after a crash.

3. There were other issues with FSX's Force Feedback kicking in and shifting the stick rapidly to a bank; something that didn't actually bank the aircraft in FS. I resolved this by using FS Force v2.11 instead of FSX's force feedback.

This is all I know to tell you about it; still think its funny?

VFR Reviews
October 5th, 2009, 05:55
Hmm... Fascinating points - but surely you didn't think I was serious when I said 'funny you say that'?

What OS are you using? I have experimented a bit more and the rapid head movements with Track-IR are definitely not caused by ambient light, so it must be the G940. I didn't experience the random force feedback issues either. How odd.

Anyway, thank you very much, and I do hope I didn't come off as rude in my earlier posts.

Thanks!

Kevin

ryanbatc
October 5th, 2009, 06:58
It is one of the best FSX acft....

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/fsscr005-26.jpg

JamesChams
October 5th, 2009, 07:15
Mr. Kevin Glover,

I've had the TrackIR and Pro Clip since they first came out and have dealt with issues of ambient light and have resolved them for myself, personally. However, to answer your question, I use Vista-64 Ultimate (and have used the 32 bit one as well) and have seen these issues in both. If you can do your own tests and help the staff over at Natural Point/Logitech figure a solution, that would be good for everyone.

Unless you need more feedback, lets end this here (or move it to another post) as it is not related to this post and I don't want to hijack it, even if it is for a good reason.

Hmm... Fascinating points - but surely you didn't think I was serious when I said 'funny you say that'?

What OS are you using? I have experimented a bit more and the rapid head movements with Track-IR are definitely not caused by ambient light, so it must be the G940. I didn't experience the random force feedback issues either. How odd.

Anyway, thank you very much, and I do hope I didn't come off as rude in my earlier posts.

PS: Lotus' L-39 Rocks; can't wait for the next update which will put/move the GPS, in the civilian model, right infront of the pilots face.

http://www.lotussim.com/preview/civpit01.jpg

VFR Reviews
October 5th, 2009, 12:41
Quite right, my apologies to everyone for disrupting this conversation. Let us get back to how awesome the Albatros is :ernae::ernae: