PDA

View Full Version : A 'classic' pennant race...

Rami
October 3rd, 2009, 18:06
To all,

The Detroit Tigers and the Minnesota Twins are in the heat of a pennant race I haven't seen in 10 years. Both teams are now tied for first place going into the last game of the regular season. If the Twins win the division instead of the Tigers, it will be reminiscent of the great California Angels collapse of 1995.

It's ever more remarkable that the Twins are able to do this after losing one of their best players this past month. Furthermore, they're playing their final games in the Metrodome this year, a stadium that's become infamous in baseball for its 'quirks' that make it a unique and challenging place to play.

So, here's the scenario...

If the Twins win, and the Tigers lose, their season is over, and the Twins win the division.

If the Tigers win and the Twins lose, their season is over, and the Tigers win the division.

If both teams win or both lose, they're set for a one-game, win-or-go-home scenario at the Metrodome in Minnesota on Tuesday afternoon.

(They can't play on Monday, because the NFL has the Vikings playing at home on Monday night, and that game is scheduled and 'locked-in')

If they do have a win-or-go-home playoff, it will be the first time that's happened in ten years.

The part that stinks is that the ALDS starts Wednesday, so whoever wins that one-game playoff will have to face the Yankees the following night!

This is baseball at its finest! :ernae:

(Especially since my Red Sox wrapped up the wild card a week ago....go Boston!) :engel016:

rayrey10
October 3rd, 2009, 20:57
Finally something exciting happening in MLB. "My" Mets can never seem to get anything going. Either way I hope whoever wins beats the Yanks.

...but I'm pulling for the Tigers!

Trans_23
October 4th, 2009, 05:54
I believe the Twins did the same thing a couple years ago. And again, I think it was the Tigers that couldn't finish strong. The Twins and the White Sox had a one game playoff last year that was basically decided by the flip of a coin for home field advantage. The WS have only won a couple games in the last few years at the Metrodome. They won the toss and beat the Twins in a close game in Chicago to go onto the playoffs. This division has been the weakest in the majors for a few years now so I expect the Yankees will handle anyone this division throws at them. That being said, it is baseball and funnier things have happened.

Moses03
October 4th, 2009, 10:24
(Especially since my Red Sox wrapped up the wild card a week ago....go Boston!)

Pfftt!! :173go1:

My Rangers had a shot at both the wild card and AL West but faded badly in Sept and never recovered. Not sure who to root for. Anyone except the Yankees I guess!!!:monkies:

Edit: Just checked and both Detroit and Minnesota are up by 4 runs. Phew!

Lazerbrainz2k3
October 5th, 2009, 16:59
Two words:

Go Phillies!

...The defending world ph[rea]king champions! Despite giving up on trying for home field advantage after clinching the NL East, Brad Lidge's continued unreliability and Ben Francisco's uselessness at stealing bases in their last game, the Fightin' Phils are looking good going into the post-season.

Moses03
October 6th, 2009, 17:55
You called this one Rami. Twins just defeated the Tigers 6-5 in 12 innings! Wow!

<TABLE id=gcScoreboard cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TH class=nickname></TH><TH class="">1</TH><TH class="">2</TH><TH class="">3</TH><TH class="">4</TH><TH class="">5</TH><TH class="">6</TH><TH class="">7</TH><TH class="">8</TH><TH class="">9</TH><TH class="">10</TH><TH class="">11</TH><TH class="">12</TH><TH>R</TH><TH>H</TH><TH>E</TH></TR><TR><TD class=nickname>Tigers (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/teams/page/DET)</TD><TD class="">0</TD><TD class="">0</TD><TD class="">3</TD><TD class="">0</TD><TD class="">0</TD><TD class="">0</TD><TD class="">0</TD><TD class="">1</TD><TD class="">0</TD><TD class="">1</TD><TD class="">0</TD><TD class="">0</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">5</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">12</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">1</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nickname>Twins (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/teams/page/MIN)</TD><TD class="">0</TD><TD class="">0</TD><TD class="">1</TD><TD class="">0</TD><TD class="">0</TD><TD class="">1</TD><TD class="">2</TD><TD class="">0</TD><TD class="">0</TD><TD class="">1</TD><TD class="">0</TD><TD class="">1</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">6</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">12</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Rami
October 6th, 2009, 18:14
I told ya.....:d

I've been a closet Twins fan ever since the days of Kent Hrbek, Kirby Puckett, Jack Morris, and Chuck 'wifebeater' Knoblauch.