PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 & zip files

Naismith
October 3rd, 2009, 14:19
Can anyone solve this one for me it is driving me nuts, when d/l zip files they are opening and I cannot find how to return to the default setting whereby you can select where you want the file to go folder-wise on the PC. I have somehow unclicked the the ticky box and cannot find how to restore it. I was easy in previous windows but this is Win7RC. Googled with no luck. Sometimes SaveAs works but not always.
TIA.

Naismith
October 5th, 2009, 21:27
Anyone? Nope? Still looking for a solution - may have to resort to the newsgroups.

jrocky
October 30th, 2009, 05:26
There is a freeware called 7-Zip: http://www.7-zip.org/ might give that a try. Not sure about Windows 7, installed the Professional 64 bit Wednesday October 28. Have un-zipped a few files with the Windows 7 decompression software, right clicked and dragged the file to where I wanted to be installed.

NCGent
October 30th, 2009, 05:36
I have win 7 and I use win rar for zip files, works just fine for me with no problems.

Chris

Moparmike
October 30th, 2009, 06:20
when d/l zip files they are opening and I cannot find how to return to the default setting whereby you can select where you want the file to go folder-wise on the PC.

I have somehow unclicked the the ticky box and cannot find how to restore it. I was easy in previous windows but this is Win7RC. Googled with no luck. Sometimes SaveAs works but not always.
TIA.

What browser are you using? If IE, then go to Internet Options under the Tools menu (if the menu bar is hidden, just hit the Alt key to make it appear).
Once the Internet Options pop-up is open, click down to the Advanced tab and scroll down through the list to find the "Notifiy when downloads are complete". It's probably unchecked now. Put a check in the box and save the settings.

Screenshot of the Advanced tab...from Win7 RTM. The options dialogs are pretty much unchanged from past versions of Internet Exploder.