PDA

View Full Version : African Wildlife

Pips
September 28th, 2008, 14:07
I've been 'doing the rounds' over Kenya's Wildlife parks in my trusty Bleriot XI and are yet to see any wildlife. Are they part of the landscape?

I've played with increasing both scenery and traffic settings but no luck. :(

Thoe6969
September 28th, 2008, 14:14
The only time you can see anything besides birds is in the missions.Another one of Microsofts blunders.

Panther_99FS
September 28th, 2008, 15:15
Unfortunately,
One of the things that was supposed to be in FSX...

Perhaps we'll see this in FSXI though :mixedsmi:

Pips
September 28th, 2008, 15:17
Oh! What a bummer. :banghead: I'm continually surprised at just how poorly the world is rendered outside of the US and parts of Europe. Really disappointing for a sim that has been around for so many years. :(

Perhaps we'll see this in FSXI though :mixedsmi:

We can but live in hope. :)

cheezyflier
September 28th, 2008, 18:25
i have been trying to do a little of my global tour every day. yesterday i flew out of india into bangledesh and myanmar. i was surprised that the farmland in india looks so much better than the states.

AussieMan
September 29th, 2008, 02:52
Visit here http://www.aussiex.org/index/download.php?list.3 (http://www.aussiex.org/index/download.php?list.3) and download the OZx_AU airports (free) and you will see lots of wildlife (not African though).

A lot of the airports you run the gauntlet of birdstrikes, dodging animals that may wander onto the airstrip. Add to this most of the airport areas are populated with people in many guises. Airport workers or passengers, some using mobile phones.

One thing though ..... you may have to register (free).

In SE Queensland some beaches can be landed on and you will get a rather pleasant surprise ;).

Cheers
Pat

MCDesigns
September 29th, 2008, 06:15
Really surprised this far into FSX no one has added herds of wildlife to the savannas. you already have the animated wildlife in the library, just need to add them with simconnect. Guess I need to start reading this part of the SDK now, LOL.

IanP
September 29th, 2008, 06:25
You have to add each one as an individual entity and, for the animated ones, specify a path, speed, etc, the same as any other mission object. There was, pretty early on, a tool that basically made long taxiways which the animals would walk along in the same way we used to make ships move as AI, but it was pretty impractical.

If you can generate an external app or internal module that randomly adds groups of animals within x distance of the user aircraft/viewpoint, I think you'd find a lot of happy users!

Ian P.
(Who has placed a few animals as scenery objects, nothing more!)

FLighT01
September 29th, 2008, 07:07
The mission where you fly around the hot air balloons in the Trike has some (lawn) sheep in a pasture to the left of the airport, saw a flock of birds once as well (clump of trees behind the takeoff position). Perhaps that was pre SP2.

Never been able to see the whales in the Mooney/Hawaii mission.

JT8D-9A
September 29th, 2008, 08:02
The tool by Ron Haertel in the Avsim library with which you can get moving ground vehicles (->moving animals): http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=lworld11.zip&CatID=root
And you can make boat traffic with whales etc.
I'm sure that there are also other ways to get moving animals for "traffic".
Only someone has to explore all possibilities...
Complaining is always easier..

IanP
September 29th, 2008, 09:05
That's the one I, and a lot of other people, tried and while it does exactly what it says pretty well, it is far from ideal.

While congratulations are in order to the developer for achieving what he did - and while most other developers were still ignoring FSX altogether - it would be nice, given the advances in experience and knowledge of the sim, to see what would be possible now.

There's a big difference between "complaining" and saying something works, but it would be nice to see if it can be improved on.

Ian P.

JT8D-9A
September 29th, 2008, 11:34
Ian,
my posting was not mainly referring to you.
I only know 5 ways to get "ai": aircraft traffic, boat traffic, LWcfg.spb, via a Simconnect tool and of course missions.
Maybe there are more ways or one of the above ways could be abused.. a lot to try, but what i read are only complaints.
I agree to you that a new improved tool would be great and i guess writing Ron an email could be helpful...
Once i tried the ai formation tool (v2) with ground vehicles (altitude to 0) and it worked, so maybe an email to Sparks would be also not a bad idea...

IanP
September 29th, 2008, 12:25
Well, Michael offered to have a play too...? :d

It is true that there are a lot of complaints that MS mis-sold this "feature" of FSX. The back of the box very much implies that Africa should have herds of elephants wandering around and certainly doesn't say "only if you're flying missions".

...I just wish I wasn't now so tempted to go and build a field next to Hixon and fill it full of sheep! :icon_lol:

I think Simconnect would possibly be the way forwards for this one, personally, but whatever works, I guess!

Ian P.

EgoR64
September 29th, 2008, 13:02
:wavey:

I could have sworn before sp2, you where able to see dolphins swimming flying on final into phli - lihue.

Cannot see them anymore. Hmmm Could have been the Captain 'M' too.

Cheers !!

familton
September 29th, 2008, 16:29
How about this? Elephants and giraffes at KLAX 7L. Regards, Bob.

EgoR64
September 29th, 2008, 17:09
How about this? Elephants and giraffes at KLAX 7L. Regards, Bob.

:costumes:

Put you in a serious holding pattern, Damn Rubber neckers !! LOL !!

Funny !!

Cheers !!

familton
September 29th, 2008, 17:21
Glad you liked it. They walk all around KLAX. Regards, Bob.

warfreak
September 29th, 2008, 18:01
Cool picture :mixedsmi:

Antoninus
September 30th, 2008, 11:56
The newly released Kruger NAtional PArk scenery includes some wildlife.

<table width="100%" border="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td> <td width="*"> File Description:
To give true credit to the real greatness of the unique and well known KRUGER NATIONAL PARK in South Africa is an impossible task, but in an attempt to at least give the virtual aviator some idea of the outlay and facilities in this truly magnificent game park, we tried to recreate most of the rest camps, picnic places, roads, waterholes, etc. In so doing we hope to bring you the great undisturbed vastness full of nature's natural pastures for thousands of wild animals living peacefully in this wilderness, without interference from human beings. Fly low and near the camps you may be fortunate enough to see some game.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=128326&CatID=fsxscen

BananaBob
September 30th, 2008, 12:17
The newly released Kruger NAtional PArk scenery includes some wildlife.

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=128326&CatID=fsxscen

I installed this today and only saw birds, think I did something wrong, LOL :banghead:

JT8D-9A
September 30th, 2008, 12:30
:mixedsmi:

familton
September 30th, 2008, 13:20
Hi Nils. I installed it and can't find the airport in the list. What is it listed under? Thanks, regards, Bob.

JT8D-9A
September 30th, 2008, 13:33
Hi Bob,
the Park should be located near FASZ. I started from FAMD and found it.
When i'm not sure where an airport for a certain area is located, i use Google Earth and: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=fsxge.zip&CatID=root

familton
September 30th, 2008, 14:47
Hi Nils. OK. Thanks. I started at FAKN and never found anything east. I'll try going south from FAMD. Best regards, Bob.

Don't ask me what the reason for editing is. It just attached itself somehow.

Bruce Thompson
September 30th, 2008, 14:56
These ain't African, but theyr'e as big as trucks.

CanadaKen
October 2nd, 2008, 17:18
Ok....how about the "real thing" taken just a month ago. :d

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canadaken/sets/72157607414432633/

CanadaKen

MCDesigns
October 2nd, 2008, 17:40
Ok....how about the "real thing" taken just a month ago. :d

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canadaken/sets/72157607414432633/

CanadaKen

Way cool Ken! Very refreshing to see that much wildlife with all that is going on with the world and poaching, thanks for the link!