PDA

View Full Version : OT: New lens for canon 40d

Headwind
October 3rd, 2009, 07:20
Hello everyone,
Like a few other that I have seen I too lost my motherboard and I'm actually going to get the parts to rebuild a new puter today. However I also got a new lens for my 40d and wanted to show it off a bit. I can't wait for the airshows this month around here. These were taken just messin around the lake here. The flower is actually about the size of a dime.

http://catalinasgrace.com/gallery/IMG_0152.jpg

http://catalinasgrace.com/gallery/IMG_0176.jpg

JamesChams
October 3rd, 2009, 08:05
:applause::wavey::applause:

Kiwikat
October 3rd, 2009, 08:07
So uh, what kind of lens is it? :kilroy:

I'm not able to read any EXIF data from either of the pics... :monkies:

Moparmike
October 3rd, 2009, 09:14
Nice shots! But...yeah, what lens did ya get?

Headwind
October 3rd, 2009, 14:37
Sorry, lol I guess I could have included that info eh? :monkies:

It's a Sigma 28-300 3.5 macro

Moparmike
October 4th, 2009, 19:37
Dang, that's some pretty nice shooting from a super-zoom! That Sigma has been getting some good reviews.

I've been eyeballing getting either that 28-300 or the Sigma 70-300 for my Pentax...can't decide if I want to go with a super-zoom or just keep swapping lenses like I have been. I just picked up a used Sigma 17-70 so I've got that range covered and I really like that lens so far compared to my 18-55 kit lens.

Headwind
October 4th, 2009, 20:25
as of right now I have a 50mm, 135mm, and another 300mm that I don't use a ton due to the motors being so slow. The next lens I'm looking at getting is the canon 400mm IS. Gotta save the pennies though since it's about $1500. My 50 and 135 I like and use alot.

fliger747
October 21st, 2009, 20:18
The Canon 100-400 IS L is a quite nice lens, somewhere in the $1600 range. Even on a full frame body it has pretty good reach and is quite sharp. I also sometimes use the 70-200 2.8 L. The 24-70 2.8 L is also a zinger, sharper than the 24-105. For the APS size sensors, the 10-22 fills in about that same range. The 17-40 L is a great wide angle on a full frame and a good walkaround lens on a smaller sensor.

Able to make very sharp 16 x 20 prints with the 5D MK II with the above.

However the digital divide has made keeping up with technology rather expensive! Currently I think the point of diminishing returns resides above 12 MP. Above that you need really good glass to take advantage of the full resolution.

Cheers: T.

Moparmike
October 22nd, 2009, 06:51
However the digital divide has made keeping up with technology rather expensive! Currently I think the point of diminishing returns resides above 12 MP. Above that you need really good glass to take advantage of the full resolution.

I agree with ya that the digital revolution has made things kinda spendy. BUT, not really that much more than good glass on a film body. Digital is pretty close to film in that you can go cheap, good, excellent, or downright expensive with the body and the glass.

I also agree that the 10-12MP is a very workable level for enlargment work. Heck, even the older 6-8MP rigs are capable of very good enlargements if you've got good glass stuck on the front.

I do spend quite a bit of time checking out some of my larger prints that I took with my old Pentax glass on my 6.1MP and wonder just what they would look like if I would take them again with a new 14.6MP body.
I'm a little more laid-back with my shooting (don't do much action shooting, not to mention that I'm stubborn) so I still love my old manual focus glass that has worked great on both film and digital. :d

Ferry_vO
October 22nd, 2009, 07:38
I also agree that the 10-12MP is a very workable level for enlargment work.

Yep! Got a 75x50 centimeter (That's 30x20 inch) print of a photo I made with my old 350D/Rebel XT which had a 10MP sensor. Very sharp image and not possible to tell the difference between film and digital. (And I took that shot with the standard kit lens!)

BTW Try to keep that Sigma lens out of direct sunlight at airshows, as they tend to loose their autofocus ability if they get too hot. I've had that issue with my old 100-300mm which was quite cheap, but I've read stories that even the 70-200 F2.8 suffers from that problem.

Cloud9Gal
October 22nd, 2009, 18:23
Wooooooooo nice pictures!!! I just ordered this one:

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/SLR1172.htm?utm_medium=dp&utm_source=KenRockwell

Snuffy
October 22nd, 2009, 19:40
Nice Rig. Sure wish I had my ol Nikon ...