PDA

View Full Version : Red Baron blu-ray & DVD

arrowmaker
October 2nd, 2009, 06:16
Showbox have announced the UK DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of Red Baron on 5th October 2009. Written and directed by German filmmaker Nikolai Müllerschön, Red Baron is a wartime action/romance that stars Matthias Schweighöfer (Valkyrie) as the titular Red Baron, Manfred von Richthofen. Lena Headey and Joseph Fiennes.

Synopsis: September 1916 – a young aristocrat, Baron Manfred von Richthofen (Matthias Schweighöfer), is transferred to a German fighter division. Numerous kills, his trademark bright red plane and the heroic conquests of his ‘Flying Circus’ squadron soon make him a German hero. Yet manipulated by the High Command propaganda machine and distracted by fame, he remains blind to the true cost of conflict. After shooting down Canadian pilot Arthur Roy Brown (Joseph Fiennes) and pulling him out of the wreckage, he assists German nurse Kate Otersdorf (Lena Headey) in tending to the pilot’s wounded leg.

But it is only when he himself is injured and shown the horrors of a field hospital by Kate that he begins to understand there is more to war than his beloved aerial duels. Reticent and disillusioned, but unflinchingly loyal to his men, the feared Baron knows he cannot stop flying. But even for this living legend, each new mission could be his last.

Priced at £17.99 RRP on DVD and £24.99 RRP on Blu-ray Disc, extras include:
Trailer
Making of
Making of Visuals
Outtakes
Music Video
Deleted Scenes

Cheapest prices at the moment (for UK buyers) can be found here:

Blu-ray
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002DMLG38/findhotelinth-21

DVD
http://www.zavvi.co.uk/dvd/the-red-baron/10063566.html

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518TBgcdXvL._SS500_.jpg

Lionheart
October 2nd, 2009, 08:37
I didnt know this was even in the theaters yet!?

Goodness...

Thanks for the heads up ArrowMaker.

Bill

arrowmaker
October 2nd, 2009, 11:38
I didnt know this was even in the theaters yet!?

I guess you must have missed it when it was released last year. It's a so,so movie (think slightly better than Flyboys) which came in for a lot of criticism in Germany on it's release, due to the many liberties taken with the truth. But hey, it's not as if they make a lot of aviation themed movies these days, let alone any set in WWI, so I guess we should be happy with what we can get.

At the end of the day we buy these kind of movies in order to see some, hopefully, spectacular scenes of bi-plane dog-fighting. I think Red Baron fits the bill.

Lionheart
October 2nd, 2009, 13:46
At the end of the day we buy these kind of movies in order to see some, hopefully, spectacular scenes of bi-plane dog-fighting. I think Red Baron fits the bill.

Awesome. Thats what its about. :d

I cant believe I missed it..

I thought FlyBoys was pretty good, considering its so difficult to find relics from WWI as well as recreating huge amounts of scenery, aircraft, uniforms, etc.

That Zeppelin scene was brilliant.

Bill

kilo delta
October 2nd, 2009, 14:31
I thought FlyBoys was pretty good, considering its so difficult to find relics from WWI

Bill

When I was but a young fella :sleep: I was let loose at a bunch of replicas built for The Blue Max movie...Pfalz,DR1's,Stampe SV4 (yes I know they weren't WWI era...but they were used during the filming of the movie!) etc. Didn't pay them too much attention though as there was more interested in the much more modern Sea Fury and Spitfire at the airfield.:isadizzy::icon_lol:

thedude247
October 2nd, 2009, 14:52
I enjoyed the movie for what it was, but it was awfully misplaced at times. The historical accuracy was a plus, but many scenes were out of place and some scenes had no beginning or ending, just a middle and you had to fill in the gaps.

On a more positive note, the visuals in this movie were more well done then in Flyboys. The tactics used were pretty good, not like in flyboys were sometimes you see a plane doing super fast rolls and the ability to climb from tree-top level to 5000 ft in a few seconds. That kinda ruined that for me.

I could go on, but my fingers hurt.:icon_lol:

What'd you fellas think.

OBIO
October 2nd, 2009, 20:19
I liked Flyboys...not because it was super accurate, super detailed...simply because it had airplanes and really neat uniforms. I liked it a lot more than I liked Pearl Harbor...heck even my wife liked Flyboys.

OBIO

arrowmaker
October 2nd, 2009, 22:09
On a more positive note, the visuals in this movie were more well done then in Flyboys. The tactics used were pretty good, not like in flyboys were sometimes you see a plane doing super fast rolls and the ability to climb from tree-top level to 5000 ft in a few seconds. That kinda ruined that for me.

Agreed. I remember when Flyboys was released there were a few comments about it being like Star Wars with biplanes. That still didn't stop me buying the blu-ray when it came out. The Zeppelin scene Bill mentioned looked great in HD. I'll definitely be getting a copy of the Red Baron.

On a side note. As I stated earlier they don't see to release many aviation themed movies these days. In fact the only releases I have purchased in the last few years are The Aviator, Pearl Harbour, Dark Blue World, and Flyboys. Has anyone got any recommendations? I''m talking about movies made in the last 10 years or so. Are there any little gems that have slipped under my radar?

thedude247
October 3rd, 2009, 08:20
On a side note. As I stated earlier they don't see to release many aviation themed movies these days. In fact the only releases I have purchased in the last few years are The Aviator, Pearl Harbour, Dark Blue World, and Flyboys. Has anyone got any recommendations? I''m talking about movies made in the last 10 years or so. Are there any little gems that have slipped under my radar?

I really enjoyed Dark Blue World, it was the best representation of the Battle of Britian since the 1969 version. The visuals weren't CGI as I suspected, they were actually done with models and old school visual effects. And it was the most costly movie ever made in Czechoslovakia, it's on my list of best war movies in recent times.