PDA

View Full Version : Applying Thermal Paste?

dvslats
September 30th, 2009, 17:08
Anyone have a how to on this? Looking over the internet it seems like there is a thousand and one different ways. :isadizzy:
On my last attemp, I still cannot get both cores of a dual core proccessor to be within the same range. For example...one core always shows a temperature of about 15 degrees higher then the other.
The CPU is a E6850 3.0 ghz, with a ZALMAN CNPS8700 after market fan/cooler.
When my nephew did this for me a year ago for an older CPU, he had the cores within 2 to 3 degree difference. But now he's off to college and I gotta learn this. :icon_lol:
Thanks In Advance, Dave

Spilot69
October 1st, 2009, 05:05
I'm no expert but this is how I do it.
1. clean the cpu chip off real good take off all the old paste and the heatsink too.
2. apply the thermal past in a line but not a lot, just a good dab.
3. take zip-lock small bag and and turn it inside-out and put your finger in it and make sure its fit tightly around your finger.
4. spread the paste around using your finger smoothly and make sure all parts are covered and evenly.
5. put heatsink on and your good to go! :gameon:

Moparmike
October 1st, 2009, 05:26
The thinner the better. Just need to fill the voids in your CPU die and heatsink mating surface right over the core of the chip...any more than that and the efficiency drops off quickly.

Here's the method I use, straight from Arctic Silver's website:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Ferry_vO
October 1st, 2009, 07:53
Clean off the CPU and the cooler first with a bit of alcohol, only apply a bit of thermal paste the size of a pin's head on the center of the processor. The pressure of the cooler will spread it out, no need to do that yourself.

:)

hey_moe
October 1st, 2009, 10:03
A easy way to look at how much you need to put on is if ya took two pieces of glass and put some water between them and pushed them together would ya be able to seperate them very easy. Spread a super thin layer with a old credit card you will be fine.

dvslats
October 1st, 2009, 14:45
First off, thanks for everyones replies. These are the best answers and reasons why I've seen on this topic. :wavey:

My mistake was applying the paste to both the heatsink and the CPU. With Moe's analogy of the glass....it was waaay too much. :blind: Just want to fill the ever so small voids.

The picture from artic silver's pdf file really sends the message home of "where". Never knew what the CPU looked like with the cover off.
Appreciate it guys, Dave

hey_moe
October 2nd, 2009, 00:37
Dave, don't feel like the lone ranger here. I use to do it just like you did and ended up with a big mess...lol. The one line or a super then coat is the way to go. The thickness of wax paper is how I spread mine...Mike

Moparmike
October 2nd, 2009, 09:56
Yup, the first few rigs I built I was slobbering the heatsink paste on too thick too.

Wasn't until I seriously started overclocking that I started getting real picky about how it was applied. On my old T'bredB XP1700+@2.2GHz rig I really noticed the difference when I did it the Arctic Silver way. With just a paste application method change, I got over a 10°F temp drop...so I know I was doing something wrong before!