PDA

View Full Version : Good FSX Taildragger Physics

Wingnut172N
September 29th, 2009, 20:33
Hi all,

I am completing my tailwheel transition in a Super Decathlon, and am loving it. I've been looking for a FSX taildragger that accurately replicates the need for rudder control on the ground and haven't been able to find one.

I've tried the RealAir Decathlon/Citabria/Scout, the new A2A Cub, and others with no luck. All are much to nosewheel like on takeoff and landing.

Is there a single tailwheel plane for FSX that acts like a real tailwheel does, with the need to jab rudder constantly to stay on centerline?

V/R
Wingnut

CodyValkyrie
September 29th, 2009, 21:10
There are a ton of variables that effect how a tailwheel acts on the ground. Is it castoring or not? Is it a combination of both castoring and non-castoring? How much torque does the engine produce?

There are many examples of products that require constant pressure of the rudder to keep the plane centered. The A2A Wings of Power III P-47 is an example, and it also uses a castoring tailwheel.

Mathias
September 29th, 2009, 22:15
Dare I say, Classics Hangar Fw190. Does not only model meaningfull torque and coupled moments of inertia but also ground effect.

Wombat_VC
September 29th, 2009, 22:18
Hi all,

Is there a single tailwheel plane for FSX that acts like a real tailwheel does, with the need to jab rudder constantly to stay on centerline?

Strange. All my props need that (both nose-wheeled and tail-draggers). Then again, with the exception of "p-factor", my realism sliders are all to the right. Too much "p-factor" made some of the planes go off the runway. :gameoff:(Eg. version 1 of the Tailwind.)

CodyValkyrie
September 29th, 2009, 22:59
Yes, I think what he is talking about is p-factor.

Daube
September 30th, 2009, 00:43
You tried the A2A Accusim Cub and you say it does not behave correctly ? This is surprising, to say the least. Have you checked your realism settings ?

Zorg_DK
September 30th, 2009, 01:18
I think the A2A P-47 and Cub handles very realistically (I asume) while taxiing.

tracyq144
September 30th, 2009, 03:31
While I love the Cub, Scout package, and the Jug, I have to agree with the OP.

Based on the lessons I took many, many years ago in an Aeronca 7AC, keeping on the centerline, on takeoff, did require some very fast footwork. Jabbing one rudder pedal, then the other, back and forth, is the way I remember it. It took much quicker, and more, constantly changing rudder input than anything I have encountered in any flightsim.

That being said, I doubt that with my present controller (X-52, only twist for rudder), I could handle "totally real".

But I do know what the OP means.

Wingnut172N
September 30th, 2009, 04:46
Tracy hit it on the head.

The aircraft aren't tracking straight down the runway, but I only need give the steady right rudder pressure on takeoff, not the left right 'dance' that is required in real taildraggers.

A2A's cub rolls straight as an arrow on landing rollout given no input from me, no matter what touchdown was like..

mike_cyul
September 30th, 2009, 05:10
If you get hold of AirEd ( http://pagesperso-orange.fr/hsors/fsairfile.html ), you can very easily modify the .air file Cn_dT and Cn_r(T) rudder parameters (in Sec 1101) to suit your real-world experience (or at least as closely as FSX will allow). If you need help, just pm me, I'll be glad to show you.

Mike

fliger747
October 2nd, 2009, 07:43
One of the planes in Mike's new Supercub package is my very own "Charlie". Going down today to take the floats off and install the landing gear. It in my testing this for mike replicates the t-dragger effect pretty well. Much constant jabbing of newish t-dragger pilots results in overcontrol and a bit more jabbing than necessary. Lacking the dynamic seat of the pants feel in FS makes the experience somewhat different. Such light aircraft typically have a steerable tailwheel, but the spring settings plus the castor breakaway often make a 180 deg setting in the cfg file more represenative of how the real aircraft behaves. The large WWII t-draggers used a lockable tw to help keep things straight when necessary.

The most exciting part of landing (other than a good bounce) is when the aircraft slows down and looses aerodynamic stability and becomes a backwards trike. Most succeptable to groundlooping here!

Cheers: T