PDA

View Full Version : Kodiak question

lawdawg
September 29th, 2009, 17:30
To Bill and anyone else that wants to respond.
I have the 2.5 version. It seems like the plane wants to bank to the left a lot, especially on climb out. And the controls seem very sensitive. I am having a hard time keeping the plane trimmed in level flight. Any suggestions regarding slider positions under realism. I have things set up for the A2A cub settings.
Are any of you seeing this?

cheezyflier
September 29th, 2009, 17:39
i'd have to look and see where my sliders are, but mine is stable. i suspect the torque is too high for you

lawdawg
September 29th, 2009, 17:44
The torque slider?
All my sliders under realism are full right.

Lionheart
September 29th, 2009, 17:49
Hey LawDawg,

The Kodiak is a sensitive aircraft to fly. It has oversized ailerons that are designed to effect roll control at STOL moments, thus they are huge, which makes them touchy in flight.

However, I have only heard of this 'constant turning' from only one other person. I would be curious to know what is causing this. Mine behaves like a kitten, but then I fly these things all the time.

The loads are cheated and should be centered on 0.0 in the X axis (pilot should be in the center). This was done to keep it from doing what you say its doing.

You've got my curiosity going.

Bill
LHC

EDIT: I just re-read your last post, full sliders. Well, if you want things difficult, pull those sliders full right. If you want it manageable, pull your sliders left a ways. :d

lawdawg
September 29th, 2009, 17:58
Hey Bill,
Does difficult translate into realism or does it mean for wanting to having an experience for a knucklehead like me? LOL
Really, what do you use in slider settings?

Edit, I really like this bird you made and want to be able to fly it enjoyably. I understand that it will behave more like a smaller aircraft. Just a little too touchy feeling ATM.

Lionheart
September 29th, 2009, 18:09
Hey Chad,

Realism, when 'bumping it up a notch' or going full out realism, will introduce levels of handling that 'do' make the flight more difficult or intense, or how ever you wish to translate that to. Certainly, adjusting your realism to full bore will not make the flight easier.

(At least thats how I believe it is translated or meant in FS when moving all realism sliders to full).

I had to check on my own realism settings. They range from full bore maxxed out to zero'd. I love flying at zero settings so I can enjoy the flight. I test in max settings and thats when I test, over and over, doing tons of take-offs, landings, etc. Presently its on about 10% settings on gyro and torque, and zero on the rest.

Bill

lawdawg
September 29th, 2009, 18:18
OK Bill. Thank for the answer.
I will test that out on the settings you use and I am sure that will make a difference.
I understand that all FS planes are tuned a certain way. There are suggested settings from some developers.
I really like the improvements you have made to this plane. BananaBob's work is fantastic.
I am using the sound set from the Alphasim T34c (payware version) which is done by TSS. It sounds really good and makes for great enhancement.

Lionheart
September 29th, 2009, 18:21
OK Bill. Thank for the answer.
I will test that out on the settings you use and I am sure that will make a difference.
I understand that all FS planes are tuned a certain way. There are suggested settings from some developers.
I really like the improvements you have made to this plane. BananaBob's work is fantastic.
I am using the sound set from the Alphasim T34c (payware version) which is done by TSS. It sounds really good and makes for great enhancement.

Roger that.

I hope I didnt sound blunt. My apologies if I did. Some of the realisms in planes really drive me nuts, like the Mooney, which if you dont keep switching the fuel tanks, she is pulling left of right. I hate that, and even real world Mooney drivers say its not as noticeable as it is in FS. For me, I just cant take some of the realism though I can fly them easy enough.

Thus I try to keep things really manageable and I will even cheat and make things overly easy. The Kodiak has one of the most powerful turboprop jets in it, the PT6-67A (Which might be updated now). These will actually rip off from the firewall when abused. That is how much torque they have. A P-51 can actually 'roll' from the engine torque alone. A friends dad watched a pilot landing a Mustang once, and in doing a missed approached, shoved his throttle to full. The result was the Mustang literally flew over upside down and dove into the ground. Too much torque handled in the wrong way.

I hope that explains things better though. Realism can be annoying, at least to me.

Rezabrya
September 29th, 2009, 18:30
Regarding the T-34C soundset, how do I use that? Do I just alias to the ALPHA T-34C Turbo Mentor\Sound folder or do I have to copy anything over? I am almost posative you just have to put in the alias entry right?

lawdawg
September 29th, 2009, 18:31
Bill,
I am a blunt man myself, maybe too much. I see no need for an apology. You did not insult me or hurt my feelers. Thank you for being humble. I am always working on that..lol
Say, regarding the realism settings being a thorn in the side...I hear that Lima Charlie.
It is a real pain in the behind, especially when flying different craft, I guess it is what it is. I noticed the torque on the Kodiak, I guess especially having the sliders full right. I am going to do what you said and am sure that will make a big change for the better.
Maybe the torque like you and cheezyflier said is the reason for the bank to the left.

NoNewMessages
September 29th, 2009, 18:32
It seems like the plane wants to bank to the left a lot, especially on climb out. And the controls seem very sensitive.

I'm slowly getting the feeling for the Kodiak, especially the F2 key to get 'er stopped after one of my patented landings. One thing I've realized is that I don't need to firewall the throttle to get it up in the air, especially with a lighter load. If you've got pedal to the metal realize there's more engine than necessary for a vast majority of the time. You will get a nasty torque effect on climb out and trying to correct at those low speeds can make things a little squirrelly. Not that it's ever happen to me... :kilroy:

I'm learning where "enough" is to get it up and flying. And I sure don't want to ruin a good motor by being a hot-rod all the time. Once in the air, a little trim and setting the throttle just right will have me zipping along at about 170kts, smooth and straight as can be. Until the thermals hits!

lawdawg
September 29th, 2009, 18:33
Regarding the T-34C soundset, how do I use that? Do I just alias to the ALPHA T-34C Turbo Mentor\Sound folder or do I have to copy anything over? I am almost posative you just have to put in the alias entry right?

I am sure you can alias that w/o a problem. I just copied into the sound folder of floats and wheeled version. I am not sure how to alias sounds. Never tried.
The sound set is awesome in this bird tho. Well worth it.

lawdawg
September 29th, 2009, 18:36
LCSims, good advice.
She can get blown around and feel sketchy. That is probably due to my FS settings tho.

Wombat_VC
September 29th, 2009, 18:59
.... The Kodiak has one of the most powerful turboprop jets in it, the PT6-67A (Which might be updated now). ...

What engine will Quest change it to?

NoNewMessages
September 29th, 2009, 21:52
At least this advert shows them going up to 750SHP;

http://www.aso.com/i.aso3/aircraft_view.jsp?aircraft_id=124228&return_url=/i.aso3/search.jspyyyyyiaso3sid=1xxxxxtypeid=3xxxxxsearchi d=20176917xxxxxregionid=-1xxxxxmode=xxxxxtypeid=3xxxxxmmgid=175xxxxxmodelgr oup=falsexxxxxsearchid=20176917xxxxxregionid=-1

Gotta remember to check my lotto numbers in the morning, cause this baby might be SOLD!!! :wiggle:

expat
September 29th, 2009, 23:35
I have the 2.5 version. It seems like the plane wants to bank to the left a lot, especially on climb out. And the controls seem very sensitive. I am having a hard time keeping the plane trimmed in level flight. Any suggestions regarding slider positions under realism. I have things set up for the A2A cub settings.

Just sharing the observation, not criticizing, I noticed this too. I fly everything all the time all sliders full right - maybe unless I try flying a helicopter, but then I go back fast to flying fixed wing aircraft if I ever do that!

I have been learning to fly IRL in a PA 28 and that has fairly noticeable pull to the left requiring rudder correction on take off/full power due to the torque from only 180hp, so I would expect a PT-6 - single - to do the same. At the same time, the Flight1 PC-12 and other freeware turboprops (TBM, AFG PC-12 etc) do not exhibit this (maybe they should) while other high hp Warbirds, e.g. P-51 and F4U, having monsterous (and for me sometimes ruinous) torque on takeoff, once at level cruise flight, will trim up nicely and will fly in a straight line - more or less -hands free.

Can't seem to do this in the Kodiak though. Only started recently in the Kodiak and noticed this left pulling in v 2.4. Not sure it was as bad after upgrading to 2.5 yestereday but will do some more testing and report back.

expat

bushpilot
September 30th, 2009, 04:46
One thing that stroke me when I first flew the Kodiak was the fact that ailerons and rudder are very effective. On some other planes I can hit the rudder pedals to max, but Kodiak just does not like that. But if you look the size of that thing it's obvious that the sensitive behaviour is realistic. And when in slow speeds and heavy crosswinds the effective rudder really has its advantages.

I have all my realism sliders set to max but it still handles beautifully, no noticeable banking.

cheezyflier
September 30th, 2009, 07:39
One thing I've realized is that I don't need to firewall the throttle to get it up in the air, especially with a lighter load. If you've got pedal to the metal realize there's more engine than necessary for a vast majority of the time. You will get a nasty torque effect on climb out and trying to correct at those low speeds can make things a little squirrelly. Not that it's ever happen to me... :kilroy:

mee tooo. i rarely take off with more than 1 notch of flaps and 50% power.
sometimes if i'm in a real tight spot i'll use more but i hardly ever need to go there.

expat
September 30th, 2009, 10:05
Tried her again (2.5) and it seemed fine. Must be some dirty pots in my old Saitek X45 . .

Where do you set the condition lever after takeoff and for cruise? Think the manual said to set it at 40% before takeoff. Still having those surge on startup situations with this and other propjets in FSX. FS never modelled this well as people know. What I do if I remember is to set the pitch pretty coarse and then I don't go skooting off the ramp into the parking lot etc!

Lionheart
September 30th, 2009, 11:03
A note on take-off power.

Maury had sent me an email a while back. He and some others had just flown in a yellow Kodiak up in Idaho in the mountains. They took off from a dirt field (grassy field) and with 6 passengers, they barely used half throttle and it was airborn in no time.

I dont know if one can ever really tap into all that power when owning an actual Kodiak. The thing is a rocket with that turbine.

Concerning which turbine they are going to, I forget the version. I heard they were fitting a different version in it, no longer the 67A. I'll try to find that out.

Bill

lawdawg
September 30th, 2009, 12:10
Man,
I tried the settings that you suggested Bill. I really did not see a whole lot of difference.
That's alright.
I did have an experience that made me feel like a genuine newb. The plane, even with brakes set, kept lurching forward on start up and crashing. This happened 5-6 times.
FS really did a lousy job on turboprop modeling.
I'll go back to the settings I had..maybe back off on the torque slider a bit.

Wombat_VC
September 30th, 2009, 18:04
Concerning which turbine they are going to, I forget the version. I heard they were fitting a different version in it, no longer the 67A. I'll try to find that out.

What I have read is that Kodiak has been using the PT6A-34 all along. Epic LT takes the PT6A-67A instead.

Lionheart
September 30th, 2009, 18:19
What I have read is that Kodiak has been using the PT6A-34 all along. Epic LT takes the PT6A-67A instead.

Hey Wombat,

That is probably the 'production engine' they are using.

I have been on this for years and heard they were looking at a new turbine. This must be what they went with going into production.

Bill