PDA

View Full Version : Can' t fly cfs 2 on my new pc

achim27619
October 25th, 2008, 12:58
Hi guys,

I got a new one and now I am battling with cfs 2.

Specs:
Intel(R) Core (TM)2 Quad CPU Q 6600 @ 2.40 GHz
Gigabite Mainbord GA-EP31_DS3L
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
XP Professional SP3
DirectX 9.0c
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v.6 00PG

When flying after some minutes I see kind of black lightning bolts and a little later the pc crashes showing a black screen and some seconds later makes a snarling noise.
And then the only option is a reset.

Any sound advice will be appreciated.

Cheers

Achim

rhumbaflappy
October 25th, 2008, 13:44
Hi Achim.

CFS2 shouldn't really tax a modern video card.

Possible reasons...

bad card
inadequate power supply
overheating

Try playing the sim with the case open, and maybe a fan on it... that will identify overheating ( the cure being more ventilation ). Improper fan seating can cause this ( either the video GPU or the CPU ), as well as lint, or just not enough airflow in the case.

Find a friend with 9800 GTX+ video card, and swap it into your system. Sometimes a repair shop can do this. If it still crashes, it's not the card, but most likely the power supply. A repair shop can sometimes measure the real world power.

Dick

Rami
October 25th, 2008, 13:50
Doesn't CFS2 have some problems with quad-core systems? Isn't there a way to get 'round that?

hellcat44
October 25th, 2008, 13:51
It sounds exactly like the problem I was having back in 2003 with a new PC.
At that time MS still supported CFS2 and a nice fellow in India walked me through an adjustment to the sound card.
I think I still have the correspondence,,,'''will check.

hellcat44
October 25th, 2008, 13:58
Mike from the details that you have mentioned it seems to be an issue with the sound card drivers or the card itself.

Let us first try addressing the major concern here. At this point I will suggest you to try reducing the sound hardware acceleration. These are the steps to reduce hardware acceleration:
1. Click Start, Run, and type dxdiag and hit Enter.
2. Click on the Sound tab.
3. Pull the slider under DirectX Features to extreme left.

Hi Jayanta, You were right--it appears to have been the sound card and/or driver. Pulling the slider over to the extreme left as you suggested caused serious problems with the game"s sound effects. It took a point only about 1/4 from the right to apparently solve the problem.

GearyMcS
October 26th, 2008, 03:39
achim,

It might be your video card. I experimented with an nVidia 8600GT card and got the same 'lightning bolts' you describe. I changed the card for a 7600GT card and don't have that problem. I'm running CFS2 on a dual core AMD 5000+ computer. The only problem I run into is when I shut down CFS2. I get a humming sound, then shut down.

Cheers,

Geary

achim27619
October 26th, 2008, 03:43
Hellcat,

that has helped a lot. Although my on-board sound is awful and still watching the odd black lightning bold I could fly from Southern France to Northern Norway without the pc crashing.

Thanks buddy, but the search will go on

Achim

gedm
October 26th, 2008, 05:56
Achim, I agree with Rami. I remember reading somewhere that cfs2 doesn't run well on a quad core system, something about the speed of the processing that the sim cant keep up with.
I believe the fix was to go into the Bio's and shut down one of the quad core's before firing up the sim, but that is what I remember about something I know little about, so hopefully someone in the know will pipe up to set my memory straight.
And just for reference with regard to vid. cards, I'm running a duo core with an Nvidia 7900 GTX.

Good luck

Buddha13
October 26th, 2008, 08:01
Hi all,
I am running a dual core system with no problems.As CFS2 only runs on one core anyway I do not see how the other cores should cause this.
You could try this though and see if it works.
1/ Star CFS2 and let it load fully.Then shrink it to taskbar.
2/Right click on taskbar and bring up the task manager.
3/Go to processes and find the CFS2 process.
4/Right click on the CFS2 process and bring up the menu.
5/Got to 'Set Affinity'.There you should see all 4 cores displayed with tick boxes.Untick cores 2,3 and 4.Then click OK and come out of the task manager.
6/Close CFS2 and restart.See if this works OK.
This should tell CFS2 to only use one core.If it does then you can if you want restart the second core as it seems to work with 2 cores.
If you are using onboard sound I suggest you get a dedicated sound card.To see if it is the sound card causing the problem you could turn it off in the mobo bios.You would have no cound but if CFS2 flies OK then you will have your culprit.I always use a dedicated sound card against onboard sound.They say onboard sound is getting better.But I feel it is still not as good.
The Creative extreme gamer or Music are both good cards.I have both of them in different machines.

Buddha13

David_L6
October 26th, 2008, 08:08
I don't have any problems running CFS2 with quad core CPUs.

achim27619
October 26th, 2008, 10:33
Thanks Bhudda,

I will try your suggestions tomorrow and will report.

Cheers

Achim