PDA

View Full Version : Trains vs Planes - Corporate attitudes

srgalahad
September 29th, 2009, 08:19
We've heard the stories about airlines and aircraft manufacturers threatening, sueing, forbidding people who want to make sim models of their products or equipment.
Cessna license fees, Gulfstream prohibitions, etc...

This morning I had reason to look at Canadian Pacific's website (one of the world's largest railways) and to my surprise I found this:

"Canadian Pacific is pleased to offer these train sets for Microsoft Train Simulator. Currently available are downloads for the Holiday Train, the 1955 Canadian Streamliner, the CPR Empress 2816 and the Royal Canadian Pacific luxury train.

We have also recently added new Rolling Stock Models, Locomotives Models and an Entire Train Route for your viewing pleasure.
Please check back to this section often as we will continue to add new models and content relevant to Canadian Pacific and its locomotives.

These models have been produced with the assistance, permission and consent of Canadian Pacific, and as such may be considered "official" until such time as otherwise indicated.

All models have been tested with Microsoft Train Simulator running on a P4 2.8 system with 1Gb RAM and an ATI 9600 Pro 256MB video card, with Windows XP Professional as operating system.

The Canadian Pacific logo and wordmark are copyrighted and may not be used for commercial purposes without permission. These files may not be redistributed without express consent of Canadian Pacific, or the content creators. For full information, please refer to the "readme.txt" file included in each download.

By downloading and installing these files, you will be deemed to have accepted the above terms."

http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/English/General+Public/Train+Downloads/default.htm

I guess THEY see it as good PR.

Rob

cheezyflier
September 29th, 2009, 08:31
well, if those specs will run it, maybe i will get train sim.

safn1949
September 29th, 2009, 11:46
That's very decent of them and it is good pr in my opinion.:USA-flag:

TARPSBird
September 29th, 2009, 12:38
That's the proper corporate attitude to have when it comes to putting your name/logo on hobby-related items. The big US railroads knew this back in the 1950's when their logos and colors appeared on Lionel electric trains. Your name on a quality product = good PR.

Willy
September 29th, 2009, 13:28
Obviously the bean counters aren't running the company. Good for C-P!

OBIO
September 29th, 2009, 13:35
Now that is class! Not only is the company allowing their "likeness" to be put into a sim, but they are the ones with the items for download. And those screen shots looked amazing! I think I might have to develop another addiction and get into trains.

OBIO

Naismith
September 29th, 2009, 13:39
It's the Canadian way, we are just such great folks! And what does it cost to host these files? Nothing. What does it gain? Respect, admiration.
The Snowbirds website used to host FS models of the Tutors, not sure whether or not they still do.
A lesson for American Airlines amongst others maybe and the petty protectionism over their logo.

CG_1976
September 29th, 2009, 17:47
It's the Canadian way, we are just such great folks! And what does it cost to host these files? Nothing. What does it gain? Respect, admiration.
The Snowbirds website used to host FS models of the Tutors, not sure whether or not they still do.
A lesson for American Airlines amongst others maybe and the petty protectionism over their logo.

The Snowbirds sure do offer FS Tutors, but for Fs98,2000.

http://www.snowbirds.forces.gc.ca/v2/multimedia/sim-eng.asp

AckAck
September 29th, 2009, 18:55
How are they for licensing the logo and likeness for use on actual (sorry - physical) models - Athearn, Model Power, Walthers, etc? Would think that is a similar issue, but its often not seen that way. I know there was a big stink several years ago (CSX or one of its formerly separate entities?), but I've been out of the hobby for years and years...

Brian

Bjoern
September 30th, 2009, 12:37
Air Alps or Welcome Air used to offer Do-328s in their colors for FS9 on their old homepage. And some italian airport is offering its rendition for FS9 on their homepage.

So not everything is bad in the aviation industry. ;)

Naki
September 30th, 2009, 13:08
Although not corporate, the Royal New Zealand Air Force has commisioned models for FS9 and FSX (an Orion, Hercules, NH-90 helicopter and Airtainer).

TARPSBird
September 30th, 2009, 16:07
How are they for licensing the logo and likeness for use on actual (sorry - physical) models - Athearn, Model Power, Walthers, etc? Would think that is a similar issue, but its often not seen that way. I know there was a big stink several years ago (CSX or one of its formerly separate entities?), but I've been out of the hobby for years and years...
Brian
A few years back Union Pacific demanded licensing fees from model RR manufacturers for use of their corporate identity, including the names and logos of all the "fallen flag" lines which have been absorbed by UP going back 100 years or so. Not sure what the outcome of this was across the model RR industry but I know Mike Wolf of Mike's Train House (O gauge 3-rail trains) negotiated his own settlement with UP.

Trans_23
October 1st, 2009, 15:45
A few years back Union Pacific demanded licensing fees from model RR manufacturers for use of their corporate identity, including the names and logos of all the "fallen flag" lines which have been absorbed by UP going back 100 years or so. Not sure what the outcome of this was across the model RR industry but I know Mike Wolf of Mike's Train House (O gauge 3-rail trains) negotiated his own settlement with UP.
I believe Mr. Wolf's negotiations with UP ended up counting for all the model manufacturers. I have been a "Model Railroader" subsciber for many years now and any adds with a UP or fallen flag railroad always have a footnote that the logo is use with permission of Union Pacific. As far as I know they are not charging royalties to the manufacturers but there was definately going to be a revolt against UP if they did. I can't think of another railroad that has the footnotes in the ads. Mr. Wolf must have talked some sense into them.